how does factory phone integration work?

72C10chevy4x4

My dealer rep doesn't know...I'm guessing it doesnt'n come w/ the phone-will any bluetooth enabled phone work? Does it automatically recognize the phone when within range? Is it 'worth' it-I want the steering wheel option for the audio buttons and the Parrot system another would work, but quality sound is important.

thanks for the great site...sorry for all the newby Q's-I've been reading here for a few hours!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
My dealer rep doesn't know...I'm guessing it doesnt'n come w/ the phone-will any bluetooth enabled phone work? Does it automatically recognize the phone when within range? Is it 'worth' it-I want the steering wheel option for the audio buttons and the Parrot system another would work, but quality sound is important.

thanks for the great site...sorry for all the newby Q's-I've been reading here for a few hours!
For 2007, North America did not have an option to order a full working package. What's needed:

- Cell phone wiring prep (gets you the mic and the proper wiring harness to drive the mic and sound system using the steering wheel buttons)
- Steering wheel with buttons (aka "luxury steering wheel")
- Radio 20 with telephone connection
- GSM/GPRS Antennae

Those were requirements and all were available to order.

What was missing (meaning "not on the order list," or "impossible to order"):

- The control unit for the universal hand free system
- an interface (blue tooth or cradle for the phone of your choice)

I doubt many people have a working hands-free factory system in their 2007 Sprinter.

-Jon

72C10chevy4x4

is it an available option on the 2008's or are the added electronics still necessary. Seems like an aftermarket may be a lot less if that's the case (?)

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
is it an available option on the 2008's or are the added electronics still necessary. Seems like an aftermarket may be a lot less if that's the case (?)
It may pay to look at this thread to compare is it worth the exercise. if your not fully tunned to Electronics Bluetooth integrated to Sound 5!

Sound 5 - Connect to Aux in!
To fully integrated the Euro version, one requires the command 50 and 3G next generation ip cell providers for hi speed data down loads. it's a different system as to what the US. uses
Richard

unimog

Looking for some feedback on making a Sound 20 system integrate with cell phone. Does it need the same modifications as the Sound 5 system?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
You're asking if Chrysler learned from the 2007 model - and now receives fully working systems from Germany. I don't know. In October I called Chrysler. A Chrysler customer service rep asked for my VIN and asked me if the Sprinter was a sports car.

I recommend you ask a Sprinter sales person if they were aware that 1) even if you ordered all the components in 2007, it was still missing the control unit and 2) if Chrysler is now able to deliver a working system from the factory or not.

As for "the aftermarket," it's been over a year since NCV3s hit North America and no one is advertising hands-free systems for Sprinters that integrate with the Steering Wheel Buttons.

-Jon

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Looking for some feedback on making a Sound 20 system integrate with cell phone. Does it need the same modifications as the Sound 5 system?
The answer has been "probably," but as far as I've read, no one's done a Sound 20 write up to prove it.

unimog

The sales people have no clue about this option. I have the phone prep option and sound 20 so must assume that the same mods as the sound 5 system will have to be completed. Just was not sure about this

BBlessing

61k happy miles
i ordered the sound 20, thinking i would be able to use my phone with it. the dealer didn't say anything about the phone adapter parts, and when asked later, all they could do is shrug their shoulders and say "i dunno".:yell: the north american dealers are as much in the dark as most of us. thanks to this forum i now know more than the dealer.:bow: and i am sad that i spent almost a thousand dollars on a useless item. :rant:

bb

SprinterUSA1

I remember a while back a forum member dropped his Sprinter off at the PAC headquarters so they could come up with a device to control after-market head units. They did. Just ordered mine.Wondering if they could do the same for the phone controls? Not sure if this where the problem lies or the different systems he Europeans use.

SprinterUSA1

cedarsanctum

re: Member
I was told by my Freightliner dealer that the Euro phone systems are different and won't work here. I got the sound 20 hoping to tie my iPod and computer into it. Still haven't found the connectors required, haven't really tried for a while. At least the 6 disc changer plays MP3's, and 6 of those is about 60 hours of music or audio books. That works for now.
In hindsight, it would probably be best to order an after-market system. More functions for less money.

Jef

BBlessing

61k happy miles
i'm thinking for chrysler/dodge to sell an option stating certain functionality, that turns out doesn't work at all, is false advertising. i feel like i've been dooped! i bought the sound20 specifically because it said it had speaker phone capability. no one ever said to me "you will need and adapter, pn blahblah" or "the phone function doesn't work in the north american market". if they had,i would have opted out on the sound20 and bought aftermarket. i can get some sweet aftermarket sound equipment for 1000 dollars! this whole phone idea looks like it is more money than it is worth anyway. a bluetooth hands free headset is only 50 bucks.

bb

Top Bottom