Minor issue - Scanguage II Installation

psalm66

Installed the new Scanguage II and it works fine. Only problem is that the 16 pin connector that fits into the OBD2 port in the fuse box underneath the dash to the left of the (USA) steering wheel is too big to allow the fuse box cover to be reinstalled and closed on my 2010 NCV3. :frown:
See picture:
16 Pin Connetor.jpg
For now I have the OBD2 cover hanging straight down and the fuse box cover is in a kitchen drawer in the van. Suggestions? Thanks.

slowstride

The back of the van's OBDII plug slides sideways, and allows the plug to be removed from it's holder. I had some blank switches, so I popped one out, feed the cable into the dash and across to the fuse box. Once you have disconnected the OBDII plug from it's holder, you can pull the plug up and into the fuse box cavity, and plug your scangauge in, and close the fuse box door. The joined plugs seem to be quite happy floating around behind the dash, in the fuse box area. This was my solution....

Chandlerazman

On mine, I had to unscrew the OBDII connector and let it loose under the cover. No issues even when visiting the dealer on a monthly basis :smilewink:

Here's what I did on my dash to guide the wire away and out of sight... I also siliconed (Clear) the scangauge on the bottom to allow for steering column adjustment.

huggybeardive

Ordered mine Scangauge today, but not sure where to install. I don't like idea reaching to it through steering wheel. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!:thumbup:

sailquik

I've installed my Scan Gauge II in both the '06 T1N 3500 and
my 2010 NCV3 on the top of the dash just inside the left "A" pillar.
It puts it high enough I can glance at it without looking down (keeping
my eyes on the road at all times).
The velcro strip that comes with the SGII does a very nice job of holding
it in place.
The cable can be tucked in the flap on the door seal so it's out of the way.
Coil the excess cable and tie wrap it a couple of times.
Tie wrap the coil to the harness above the emergency brake handle.
The little plastic door on the NCV3 (in the photo the OP posted) comes off
and I will take a hot knife and cut clearance for the OBD plug in the plastic
door.
Roger

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I ran a strip of broad Velcro fore-to-aft, centered on the hump of the instrument panel.
Then a strip on the underside of the ScanGauge.
The fore-to-aft lets me adjust it for a useful "tilt" to avoid reflections
It's reachable above the steering wheel, but only visually obscures the wiper trough.

--dick

psalm66

<The back of the van's OBDII plug slides sideways, and allows the plug to be removed from it's holder. - Slowstride>
Wow - I had no idea - thanks! I'll check that out in another day of two. I want to be able to close the fuse box door to keep the dust down.

<I don't like idea reaching to it through steering wheel. Any suggestions? - huggybeardive>
I instaled mine like Chandlerazman (and autostaretx) did except I just used the velcro that came with the Guage. However, I offset the gauge to the right (rather than centering it) and simply reach around the steering wheel with my right hand to make adjustments when required. Never reach through the steering wheel when driving! :hmmm:

Chandlerazman - I used your picture as the model for how to install my Gauge, including drilling a hole in the plastic pop-out blank plastic switch cover. I believe I previously saw that same picture in another thread on the forum. Thanks! :cheers:

NBB

I ohmed out the connector and spliced into the wires above. The only thing is that the Scangage will need to be disconnected at the display in order to connect a scan tool. It's pretty clean.

I also bought a http://www.blendmount.com/products.html for both the gauge and my radar detector. The caveat here is that I had to go to a glass shop to have my old rear view mirror removed. They did it fast and for free. A new mirror was $18 and much better than original. The OEM Sprinter mirror is not compatible with the blendmounts - although it probably wouldn't be too difficult to make it work anyway.

Last edited:

kmessinger

At the time I got my Scanguage, I don't think it was cheaper - Spring 2008 but that was a long time ago for my memory. Also, the way I wanted to mount it, I needed the cable to detach from the body of the instrument. Definitely looks nicer than a scanguage!

suzieque

I continue to be surprised that no one else on this board has gotten the UltraGauge

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

I think it does everything the ScanGauge does, but MUCH cheaper.
I have a dashhawk, but I think I may just buy an ultragauge too cause the screen looks nicer.

The ultragauge doesn't seem to do "Transmission Temperature", "Turbo Boost", "Current Gear", "Target Gear", I also like "Intake Air Temperature" as well as datalogging on my Dashhawk.
Regardless, I may buy one for my car. :)

Last edited:

psalm66

<<I also bought a http://www.blendmount.com/products.html for both the gauge and my radar detector. The caveat here is that I had to go to a glass shop to have my old rear view mirror removed. They did it fast and for free. A new mirror was $18 and much better than original. The OEM Sprinter mirror is not compatible with the blendmounts - although it probably wouldn't be too difficult to make it work anyway.>>

NBB - very interesting idea! Hadn't known that this type of set up was available. Richard might cringe with the use of aftermarket non-original perfect MB parts! :lol:How do you attach/hide the connecting wire that goes to the OBD2 connector where it comes out of the top of the mirror and hoes across the front windshield?

<<I did it this way, left side of dash. I have my GPS also there above the scan guage.
http://www.ourexcellentadventures.co...he-scan-gauge/>>

kmessinger - you must be left handed. I also like your location but I'm right handed and would have to reach across the steering wheel while driving to push a button on the left side ...

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
<<I also bought a http://www.blendmount.com/products.html for both the gauge and my radar detector. The caveat here is that I had to go to a glass shop to have my old rear view mirror removed. They did it fast and for free. A new mirror was $18 and much better than original. The OEM Sprinter mirror is not compatible with the blendmounts - although it probably wouldn't be too difficult to make it work anyway.>>

NBB - very interesting idea! Hadn't known that this type of set up was available. Richard might cringe with the use of aftermarket non-original perfect MB parts! :lol:How do you attach/hide the connecting wire that goes to the OBD2 connector where it comes out of the top of the mirror and hoes across the front windshield?

<<I did it this way, left side of dash. I have my GPS also there above the scan guage.
http://www.ourexcellentadventures.co...he-scan-gauge/>>

kmessinger - you must be left handed. I also like your location but I'm right handed and would have to reach across the steering wheel while driving to push a button on the left side ...
wireless :professor:

NBB

At that particular time, I had my left pillar removed (easy) and the entire head liner removed as well. I routed my wire right along with all the other wires in the area. If you just remove the pillar cover, you can tuck the wire under the headliner w/o removing it. Threading the wire down from the pillar is pretty easy - lots of open space there. Overall, not very difficult. I might have purchased a longer network cable from the computer store - can't recall if the one that came with it was long enough. I preserved the original cable with the OBDII connector - didn't use it. Standard crimp splices from Home Depot or somesuch. Took me about 5-10 mins to ohm out the connectors and identify which wires to splice into. Overall, it's pretty clean.

I am definitely thinking having one of these for my 04 Sprinter would be very useful, but I can't figure out which one. The ultra is much cheaper but I don't normally think cheaper is better but it seems to have everything I want. Anyone else have the ultra and willing to give it reviews?

I have a DAD for troubleshooting I only want real time data.

huggybeardive

I bought Scangauge to keep track of my MPG's. Also keeping track on the paper. After first 10000 miles I did compare Scangauge to paper and what a difference. On the paper I'm getting 19.4MPG and Gauge do only 18.5MPG. Did a test on long stretch of straight road. Did 200miles with average 19.6MPG then stop for gas, turn off engine and did another 200 miles same direction(counting in wind) same speed and had only 16.9MPG. Don't now why so much different. Same road, same time, same everything and 2G less! Anybody had same experience?

I bought Scangauge to keep track of my MPG's. Also keeping track on the paper. After first 10000 miles I did compare Scangauge to paper and what a difference. On the paper I'm getting 19.4MPG and Gauge do only 18.5MPG. Did a test on long stretch of straight road. Did 200miles with average 19.6MPG then stop for gas, turn off engine and did another 200 miles same direction(counting in wind) same speed and had only 16.9MPG. Don't now why so much different. Same road, same time, same everything and 2G less! Anybody had same experience?
200 miles means you probably filled 10 gallons or so. With that quantity the difference in "full" can be a factor. Pump safety kick off sensitivity is often different so pump handles kick off at different times. Even the level seen in the fuel neck can differ depending upon how the fuel glugs. I find I can add almost a full 2 extra gallons by rocking the Sprinter, refueling, and rocking the Sprinter until you hear the glug noise. I'm not recommending that method, it's just an observation. The amount of fuel added affects the calculations more with small quantities. Just some food for thought. vic

sailquik

Huggybeardive,
You probably need to set the Scan Gauge II "scaling factor".
If you crunch the numbers from your "paper/fillup" mileage against
what the SGII is giving you, then enter that number as an "offset"
in the Scan Gauge II you can get the reading to be within a few perecntage
points.
Also, do you have "LOD" set as one of your 4 readouts?
The "LOD" readout can very quickly give you information on how much
of your engine's available power you are using.
If < 55% you are getting good mileage.
If 55-60% you aren't getting the best mileage possible... try downshifting
to 4th gear and see if your mileage improves (< 65 mph please).
If 60-70% your engine is working a bit and you mileage is going to suffer.
If 70-80% you are working your Sprinter pretty hard, and if you keep on
lugging along at this much LOD, there could be issues. Try slowing down 5 mph
or downshifting to 4th gear. (< 65 mph). You may be using 25%-50% more fuel than
necessary.
If your SGII LOD reading is >85% for more than a couple of minutes, you may
be looking at a LHM incident due to a blown turbo resonator (04-06 Sprinters only)
..... a blown turbo hose (all Sprinters)... EGR issues (all Sprinters).... DPF issues
('07 and later NCV3 V6 Sprinters.
A combination of slowing down slightly, and manually downshifting can save you
alot of fuel, and perhaps some repair/towing bills.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Top Bottom