Question about the MB Grille Installation

Could those of you who have installed the Mercedes Benz grille conversion help me out? I would like to know if you installed rubber grommets in the 5 slots on the top edge of the valence panel for the tabs from the grille to clip into. If you did not get or install the grommets with your kit have you had any problems with alignment, rattling, or paint wear?

Thanks.

ehallspqr

I would say that the grommets are a must, otherwise I could see it rattle and wear paint as you mentioned. Installing them is easy they simply press into the holes and then install the grill tabs. The grommets are available from vendors on the website selling the conversion kits. You should get them if you bought a kit.

MercSprinterConversions

Sprinter Conversions
As A Seller, I would also be interested to hear the outcome of this:

We were told by our Mercedes Supplier that the Valence Grommets were an "unnecessary part of the Grille assembly" and that "The new vans coming out of the factory aren’t even fitted with them?" The reasoning behind their statement was that once the side clips have been pushed into place and the bolts done up on top, Grille movement at the bottom is not an issue. Sounds logical right?

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who owns a Mercedes Sprinter fresh from the factory, so probably from Europe, or maybe Chris (SprinterUK) would have the answer.

I have always taken their word as gospel as you would assume it to be correct, I also can’t see why they would lie? After all they are losing out on more parts sales? Unless they have a hidden agenda? All Strange...

Looking forward to clearing this up!! Would certainly be interested in What Chris has to say about this as he's probably in the best position to know, Hopefully he will stumble accross this post!

SPRINTERUK

HERE TO HELP
hi
you should allways fit the groments to keep the grille a tight fit
i,am away this weekend i will post the price tuesday
regards
chris

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I would say where the difference is with the MB grille replacement no grommets needed as they already exist.
With Dodge the US variant is not the same,as to the need for a new valance as many dealers stateside have found out, bar one.
This is the full installation program that professional dealer would provide.
with the copy CD supplied with each kit.
Click the model preferred Tin or NCV3
I might as well add this: The Member David at sprinterparts has supplied free of charge the missing grommets, postage included at his expense. to help forum members out in the past.
Installation Video

Last edited:

march

Two weeks ago I installed a grille from Mercedes Sprinter Conversions who DO NOT (to my surprise) supply them with their "Conversion KIT". My grille rattles and I find it very disappointing after spending over $500 they cheaped out and did not send them in the "KIT". I complained and promptly heard back from Ben who said he spoke to Mercedes and they were not necessary but I could have them for only $3.90 X 5 about $20 more, but I think the "Conversion Kit" should not be sold without the proper parts to install in the first place. I do not understand how a supplier can claim to have spoken to Mercedes and state that parts they install on the standard Mercedes are not necessary. The grille does not clip in at all it just hangs there losely in the large holes designed for the grommets leaving it to "hang on 4 screws. Definitely go for the grommets - I wish I had. Now I have to remove the grille again and put these or something in to stop the rattling!

MercSprinterConversions

Sprinter Conversions
Thanks Chris,

We are now contacting as many customers as possible with regards to the sitatuion.

To any customers, You should recieve an e-mail informing you of the situation. You should recieve the mail in the next 24 hours, if you do not, be sure to contact us and we will inform you of the action we are taking on your behalf to remidy the situation.

Many Regards. Ben.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
March In defense of Ben UK he was told by the dealer it's not required simply because the valance on the Mercedes proper has them, the difference was with the US variant..Quote I may be wrong as this goes back to 2007 I think the Dodge has two of which can be retro fitted back into the MB grille, but not all five. therefore an extra three are required.. five grommets are needed in total; end of quote:hmmm: David emailed me from the beginning asking for the info, prior to the release of the NCV3 for the N/American sector including the exact profile of the hood Badge which has a different MB number" STRANGE HOW THAT PHOTO ENDED UP ON A CERTAIN RESELLERS SITE:thumbdown: WHICH WAS ASKED TO BE REMOVED AS TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT": Commercial use is a no no. as the Tin and NCV units look the same but the profile is different as to the hood slant, with the crease running down the middle of the hood. which was freely given to David along with correct Badge designations 318 CDi and 418 Cdi etc. nothing else is required as the others CDI designations are not available in the states. Gas is another designation number.

BUT TECHNICALLY ISN'T ACTUALLY PUT ON THE SPRINTERS! SAME AS THE WINDOW STICKERS, OR POWERED BY MERCEDES BENZ... THEY DO NOT EXIST ON A MERCEDES SPRINTER.. Thus you pay more for something, that's not required as for fake wheel caps stickers well they look odd, and cheap.

Dealers parts services either from N/America and Europe ..Yes Aus too:shifty: don't always know or bother to do the job they are employed to do, Chris from the UK is dedicated Knows his job better than most, and goes out of his way to help.

Ben offers a good professional service but mistakes can happen because of the wrong information given, even though where information is given in good faith , mistakes can land a seller in trouble with his client. ' Mistakes Happen'. or as in 'Forest Gump..{It Happens}

My point is the cheapest price is not always the best deal:bash: as to My personal opinion no seller has ever got it right except David, with the video installation.Even I could say that needs a touch up where the screwdriver was used to release the head light surround on the bumper,he did say or spatula, or not tapping the bonnet,which he did not mention when using the plastic spatula to prevent the paint above, from possibly scratching.

Doing the complete installation from scratch is too much! It's not that simple, for a novice. Hence quote paint damage and rattles.

When parts are ordered overseas, parts need to be double boxed, and warped in bubble wrap to prevent postage damage!It costs more as to the sellers time and materials used, including the extra weight involved for posting. And insure the dam things Insurance costs it's not free, then your covered inconvenienced yes, but covered by the handler UPS, USPS, or DWL even sending freight state to state same deal applies by any seller.INSURE AGAINST DAMAGE.

Ben bite the bullet, and send them to your client for free, it's a learning curve. you were not to know. March would the above explanation satisfy you: Ben is not to have known on this one an honest mistake OK.

I can honestly say each seller has made a mistake or two in the past. there is not a lot of profit in these deals for any one.remember they are resellers offering you guys a service that the local Chrysler out lets can not do they the resellers are not MB operatives so each has a mark-up which the seller deems fair but you get what you pay for.

This is what you should receive with your kit, a video installation. Step by step, about time you sellers got your act together instead of bickering with each other.
Photo supplied by David Sprinter Parts Depot
David doesn't say much as to his total disgust, as to others. but he's selling them on line.don't you worry too much about that one. there is room for all to do their thing on a Honest basis.
2500GASGlassSteelSM.jpg
Richard

march

Thank you Ben at Mercedes Sprinter conversion for paying attention - including the grommets is the right way! Altered Sprinter for your info. the Dodge does not use any grommets at all so none can be re-used. Also the Powered by Mercedes is already on the Dodge so having that in a kit for Dodge can be eliminated and pay for the Grommets possibly - just a suggestion. I removed the old ones from the my Dodge and maybe others do the same. I like how the forum helps us all improve!

MercSprinterConversions

Sprinter Conversions
Thank you Ben at Mercedes Sprinter conversion for paying attention - including the grommets is the right way! QUOTE]

No problem, at the end of the day, if we knew for a fact that they were necasary, there is no way that we would not supply them just to save a bit of money. Now we have identified this, We are sending free ones out to those who want them and they are now included with all kits.

Agree with you about the shipping though richard, We always make sure that they are insured, the valence is the main concern being as it is so fragile, Double walled boxes + bubble wrap are the order of the day. Thankfully havn't had one damaged to date. Fed-Ex seem to be earning their money in that respect!!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I'm happy this resolution that has now been sorted; as to above explanation for each party involved, as to an understanding.
march I wasn't sure about the grommets in total:hmmm: it was years back with the conversion between Dodge and MB,when I last looked. But the full five in total were needed.
Enjoy your ride.
Richard

I started this thread as a result of my recent purchase of a grille conversion kit from Ben at mercedessprinterconversions.com. Upon receipt of the kit I noticed that there were no grommets in the kit so I contacted Ben. As Ben explained in this thread, he was told that the grommets were not necessary although I felt they were. As it turns out, thanks to all of the members of the forum, they are necessary. I must say that Ben has continued to impress me in the way he handled this situation. I received the email that he is sending to his customers that bought a kit. I believe that Ben was not trying to "save a buck" or mislead his customers. He has stepped up on this situation and is making everything right for his customers. This just reaffirms the high level of professionalism and integrity that Ben has. All of my dealings with him have been great. I wanted to make some changes to the parts in the kit that I was going to order. Ben was willing to create a custom kit for me. He was prompt in replying to all of my email inquiries, always followed up and did exactly what he said he was going to do. Upon receipt of my payment he provided the tracking number for the overnight package. The next day I received the package. Everything was well packaged and was genuine MB parts in perfect condition.

I think Ben and mercedessprinterconversions.com deserve a lot of credit for doing the right thing. I would highly recommend contacting him if you need parts and accessories for you Sprinter. I look forward to dealing with him in the future.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Good outcome Rocky: I meant to mention you, but concentrated at the latter part of the thread. it was not my intention to ignore the original thread starters question.:cheers:
Over-nite-airmail from the Royal pond:eek: God that cost a quid:eek: I'm happy with 14 day turnaround but never ever on a boat, that never seems to turn up. Tracking numbers:bounce: you know where it is at all times.
Pics when done please.
I can never get enough of the star of stars:clapping:
Richard

claudalfa

Car Crazy
I agree with all of you guys, Ben is really doing his best to serve us better, and that is quite a change in this world

Thanks for caring Ben

I will recommend you as a supplier to anyone

WHarter1

MB Part Number for Valence Grommets

Hello Everyone,
Would someone kindly give me the MB Part number for the grommets needed for the grille conversion.
Thanks in advance.
Bill in Prague (CZ)

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
I am going to take 'advantage' of a recent run-in with Bambi's Mom to change my 2007 Dodge Sprinter RV badgeing to Mercedes.

How can I change the rear emblem & surround that's on the rear door glass? It's not obvious from a casual look.

Attachments

Top Bottom