2007 Sprinter...Squeaky Brakes! Any thoughts???

BigBlueBus

Hello,
My new Sprinter with under 1000 miles has begun to squeak when the brakes are applied.
Anyone else have this issue? SHould this be a concern?

Any thoughts would be great.
thanks in advance.

shoeinjoe

My 2007 3500's brakes started squeaking at less than 2000 miles. Haven't said anything to the dealer yet. Have to take it back to the dealer because there is a wire missing from the wiring harness going to the passenger side rear fog light. The mechanic said that the harness must have been made on Monday or Friday.

tab380

The Drain Doctor
My 2007 3500's brakes started squeaking at less than 2000 miles. Haven't said anything to the dealer yet. Have to take it back to the dealer because there is a wire missing from the wiring harness going to the passenger side rear fog light. The mechanic said that the harness must have been made on Monday or Friday.
That fog light is only on the drivers side. I already went through that on mine:idunno:

Sprinter

Hello,
My new Sprinter with under 1000 miles has begun to squeak when the brakes are applied.
Anyone else have this issue? SHould this be a concern?

Any thoughts would be great.
thanks in advance.

Dealer won't be able to do anything about it. Brakes just squeak, my mechanic told me 90% of Sprinters have squeaky breakes. Mine are squeaky only when cold, once they get hot the get quiet

BigBlueBus

Mine used to squeak only when cold and only in hard braking, it has gotten progressively worse and now it squeaks all the time, to the point that it's getting quite annoying. That CAN'T be normal, for any car. I just don't want to have to take it back to the dealer and be out of the van for a week. It seems every dealer repair takes a week.

The reason and hopes for writing this post is if anyone has had this problem already and taken the van to the dealer for repair, I'd like to know if the shop was able to correct the problem or if there's a recall on these brakes. Sometimes, the factory or the mechanic just needed to add a backing plate to the back of the pads to quiet them down.

Xperia

Friendly Beverage
I hear an occasional squeak and my 07 2500 ext. just turned 5300 miles but It just reminds me the brakes are working :crazy:

SprinterUSA1

Hi guys,

I just went back and checked on the German Forum since I remembered that they were discussing the same issue.
There has not been a recall on it. What they are saying is that the brake pad mixture is too hard and that is why they squeak. The guys that took it in did get the brake pads and disks replaced. Apparently MB is using different ones now that at least minimize the issue.

They has also been another issue with the brakes and that is a rumbling noise from the brake calipers. There is a replacement kit available for that which seems to work. Whether it is available stateside or Dodge/Freightliner knows about it is questionable.

BTW mine squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaak too.
Sounds like a freight train coming into the train station.

SprinterUSA1

Last edited:

floorman

07 3500 high top ext . brakes started to squeak about 1500 miles ago (have 6500miles on now)thought mabey it was just the ocean air,but it sounds like it going to be another sprinter "characteristic" as my dealer so puts it:2cents:

merdas

Same here. The brakes squeak like mad cow and the brake dust is unbelievable. I have 5600 miles on mine.

floorman

Same here. The brakes squeak like mad cow and the brake dust is unbelievable. I have 5600 miles on mine.
Hey Hey please let me know what if any thing is done about this "characteristic".Dont like people looking at the van for the wrong reasons,and the noise is a pain the a##.

BigBlueBus

I have also noticed ALOT of brake dust on my front wheels. I am thinking maybe the brakes are not proportioned correctly. This is definitely something to look into. I believe if the rear brakes take up more of the braking load, that it will minimize or eliminate the squeak and/or minimize the amount of brake dust.
I switched to ceramic pads on my old van, when I put fancy wheels on it. But I should'nt have to buy new pads on a van with under 1000 miles on it.

If anyone has a "buddy" or relative that works at a Dodge dealership please ask if there is an adjustment in the brakes to make the rears grab better?:cheers:

SprinterUSA1

Problem with putting more pressure on the rear brakes is that they will more likely lock up the wheels if braking hard. I know ABS.......but that would mean it has to jump in more often thus prolonging the deceleration.

I have not seen any vehicle that had less or equal amount of dust build up on the front because no matter how you adjust it they will always have to work harder than the rears.
Just my :2cents:
SprinterUSA1

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
We're up to 4cents now...

Some rims suck air in and others out via the holes designed in their body, but either way it's for assisting in brake cooling.

So...brake dust is normal, just with some rims the push of air inward blows the dust under the vehicle so less or none shows. Most rims suck outward (better flow and with the incressed pressure under the vehicle) and this normal dust from normal wear sticks to rims.

As for squeaky, some brake pad 'ingredients' will react to the rotor and squeak. Despite being annoying it doesn't nessesarily mean there is a mechanical issue. If the pads are wearing down prematurely or wearing the rotor same, yes that's an issue. There are ways to 'soften' the noise, most remedies come from experienced brake persons familiar with specific vehicles.

Have the dealer measure/inspect the pads and rotors every few thousand k's.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
One of my friends was a dealership Mercedes tech in the '70s.

My father owned a front-end alignment & brake shop from the 1970 until '88 or '89 and took "warranty" work farmed out by the local MB dealerships when they were overrun.

Both my friend and my father have told me that MB brake pads from the factory were always tougher than the replacement parts available over the counter from dealership parts counters.

Back in the '70s brake pad dust was the big squeek culprit.

As "dated" as their experiences are today, neither were not surprised to hear that my NCV3's brakes are squeaking at such low mileage. Both recommended more pressure on the brake pedal and both were right.

I don't hear the squeaking if I apply more pressure than I'm accustomed.

Both recommended that - for now - I adjust my driving habits, and leave the braking components alone.

-Jon

biggy herm

2700 mi and they started squeaking......I figure its just one more thing to draw attention to the 9 1/2' van rolling down the road.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I don't hear the squeaking if I apply more pressure than I'm accustomed.
Does that mean, Jon, that you brake at the last minute?

I sort of coast to a stop and apply moderate pressure. I don't have the squeak, but I do have the vibrate.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Does that mean, Jon, that you brake at the last minute?

I sort of coast to a stop and apply moderate pressure. I don't have the squeak, but I do have the vibrate.
I'm coasting more than braking as well; but rather than my usual "light" pressure-to-stop, I'm apply a medium amount pressure a bit later than usual. I'm definitely not braking "hard" at the last minute. Nothing in the cab is being jostled. I haven't spilled any coffee or anything.

I have no brake-pedal or front-end vibration, but I do have a squeak unless I apply pressure passed a certain threshold.

kendall69

I just did an experiment on my 07 squeaker.

I got to a safe place on a quite street got up to 45 mph and SLAMMED on the brakes - Squeak GONE for now.

I did not lock up, but sure am glad I had the seat belt on.

SteveN

Mine have squealed from day one ! (been waiting til I got a few miles on the van before taking it in since I figured the standard answer would be " They all do that until the pads are seated!" - Still squealing @ 1600 miles.....

Top Bottom