European 2003 + headlight interchange

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
the headlight style changed in 2002 when the sprinter was "facelifted".
MB calls that "Modellpflege" or MOPF for short.

There is no such thing as model year over there, just year of build, so that might explain why some people are referring to the 2002 MOPF as the "2003" model...

German light codes:

Headlight: Abblendlicht = H7
High beam: Fernlicht = H3
Fog light: Nebellicht = H7

Electrical schematics download lights are here

Unfortunately the German electrical system is different from the US because of a legal requirement to turn off the foglights when the highbeams are used...

The German foglight switch is integrated with the standard lightswitch...
still looking

Cheers
George

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Unfortunately the German electrical system is different from the US because of a legal requirement to turn off the foglights when the highbeams are used...
I thought that was true for vehicles in the US too?

Thanks for the information George. :thumbup:

Seek

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
George,

Have you performed this headlamp upgrade yourself already?

Can you get this newer style headlight with Xenon and without, or only xenon?

Altered Sprinter, which style light is on your Sprinter, (not the new body style version)

I have a cousin in Hungary going into a MB salon in the next day or so, and he is looking into part numbers (with and without fog) and compatibility, and price. he is also looking into Steering wheel emblem as well.

I have asked him to see if we get say 10 pairs of headlights and emblems if there is a deal to be had.

Will keep you posted....

Tibor

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

There is no such thing as model year over there, just year of build, so that might explain why some people are referring to the 2002 MOPF as the "2003" model...

German light codes:

still looking
Cheers
George
above mentioned is correct as stated when on hi-beam the fog-lamp is disengaged, which is why there are two switches, the latter switch for the fog-lamp front activation along with rear fog-lamp,

I think :thinking:George will find out before I can get those numbers
richard:bounce:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
George,

Altered Sprinter, which style light is on your Sprinter, (not the new body style version)

I have a cousin in Hungary going into a MB salon in the next day or so, and he is looking into part numbers (with and without fog) and compatibility, and price. he is also looking into Steering wheel emblem as well.

I have asked him to see if we get say 10 pairs of headlights and emblems if there is a deal to be had.

Will keep you posted....

Tibor
Now I'm getting confused , Model year is the 2005 this is the latter clear head-lamp type, not the older 2002 type which has a different glass and bulb set up.
Richard.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

German light codes:

still looking

Cheers
George
George I'm getting just a little confused, with the German fog light is integrated with the standard light switch.
The switch for the fog lamp is separate from the main headlight multi type stalk thats on the column, My Van is an Austrian version Sprinter exported to Australia, Private export not an Australian configured Sprinter. made in Germany, so that switch is there on the dash panel drivers side.
Can you clarify where you meant where the switch is, my thoughts are there are two sets of wireing looms, that's not how Mercedes operates, it's a standard wireing plug and go set up/
Thanks Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I am on the right side of the road:smilewink: not the left thats wrong:laughing:
In Europe you can chose both left and right this is why my thoughts are the ambient lighting patten are not in a direct line of vision rather it's spread out left to right.
I may use the numbers George provided to give the sales folk a n indication as to part numbers , as there are two lights I'm guessing we need the ones after 2003
'll up date to-nite if I get any more info.
Richard

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Now I'm getting confused , Model year is the 2005 this is the latter clear head-lamp type, not the older 2002 type which has a different glass and bulb set up.
Richard.
Richard,

US sprinters all years have glass lamps.
All Sprinters made after 2002 in Europe have the clear polycarbonate lamps.

All CDI Sprinters built after 2/2000 can be converted to clear polycarbonate lamps.

The part numbers mentioned here are for the clear polycarbonate lenses including foglights:

2002 MOPF clear polycarbonate headlight assembly
German version:

Left side with Fog lights MB part number 901 820 2661
Right side with Fog lights MB part number 901 820 2761

Mutiple commercial stores have them on eBay here here or here

George,
Not yet, too many projects going on already ;-) only the rear lights...

There is no OEM xenon available on Sprinters pre NCV3 (2007 model new bodystyle)
There are a few guys that have cobbled together their own system...

George I'm getting just a little confused, with the German fog light is integrated with the standard light switch.
The switch for the fog lamp is separate from the main headlight multi type stalk thats on the column.
Can you clarify where you meant where the switch is, my thoughts are there are two sets of wireing looms, that's not how Mercedes operates, it's a standard wireing plug and go set up/
Thanks Richard
Richard sorry for any confusion.

I am not a Sprinter Expert.

I looked at several years of Sprinter posts on the german board and there seems to be a reoccuring problem with the foglights being broken. The fix is to replace the stalk...I guessed based on that that the foglights are in the stalk.

In Germany the foglights are typically three position:
A) off,
b) front foglights only
c) front foglights plus one rear

The US switch in my van is 2 position only on/off

here is a part number for a center off fog lamp switch:
MB 006-545-51-07
Dodge: 5120 484AA

looks like the top position is for front and rear, the bottom position for front only, maybe that's it

As for the wiring, maybe the wires are there, maybe not...
The wires for the towing hitch in the rear are not preinstalled and the "official" way to do it is insane, tearing apart the instrument panel, etc...

I have foglights and will at some time replace the glass ones with the polycarbonate...

If I didn't have foglight I'd just mount new ones in the bumper...

Cheers
George

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
HI George I think you solved the switch part number I'm about to go to work so I'll check to night
If you can answer this question
The fog lamp switch on the dash nearest to the drivers window has two icons of two headlights showing on with white stripes the center of the switch is off but it shows a light as well when active, at the bottom of the switch it has an icon of one only headlamp same as above.
Thats the switch that makes the whole thing work.
I;m thinking now when the stalk switch flicks down from main beam this disengages the fog light, so that makes sense as opposed to manually doing this, this must mean that that loom loops into the integrated system of plug and go.
Must Go Richard

chaozz

the parts place i talked to today order from germany
when he gets back to me on the oil filter kit
ill ask him about these.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Richard,

US sprinters all years have glass lamps.
All Sprinters made after 2002 in Europe have the clear polycarbonate lamps.

All CDI Sprinters built after 2/2000 can be converted to clear polycarbonate lamps.

The part numbers mentioned here are for the clear polycarbonate lenses including foglights:

2002 MOPF clear polycarbonate headlight assembly
German version:

Left side with Fog lights MB part number 901 820 2661
Right side with Fog lights MB part number 901 820 2761

Mutiple commercial stores have them on eBay here here or here
=======================================================================

Ok I went in to Mercedes armed with the number George supplied
showed them how to cross reference to the exchange manual, from Mercedes main frame line up and BINGO the numbers came up! the first one did

Left H/side fog lamp MB part number 901 820 2661 is correct
R/Side....................................... 901 820 2671 does not show as the correct number
this may be for a non fog lamp light, it doesn't matter as you can order left or right we think the number should have been 901 820 262???
So thanks to George and his expertise in German we have the numbers.

Richard sorry for any confusion.

I am not a Sprinter Expert.
George none of us are experts in Sprinters as such, as Tibor sated we learn from the experience we gain from the threads of information this benefits every one.

I looked at several years of Sprinter posts on the german board and there seems to be a reoccuring problem with the foglights being broken. The fix is to replace the stalk...I guessed based on that that the foglights are in the stalk.

In Germany the foglights are typically three position:
A) off,
b) front foglights only
c) front foglights plus one rear

The US switch in my van is 2 position only on/off

here is a part number for a center off fog lamp switch:
MB 006-545-51-07
Dodge: 5120 484AA

George The above number is correct for the single rear fog lamp lamp
it's the other one that has both icons as to what the number is on that one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looks like the top position is for front and rear, the bottom position for front only, maybe that's it

As for the wiring, maybe the wires are there, maybe not...
The wires for the towing hitch in the rear are not preinstalled and the "official" way to do it is insane, tearing apart the instrument panel, etc...
Australian Sprinters are the same as the European ones no problem with hitch wireing just plug in the loom

If I didn't have foglight I'd just mount new ones in the bumper...

You have a valid point as to the end cost of two complete head lamp assemblies with the fog lamp and a switch as well.

Cheers
George
Richard
PS how much do you think each light is worth from Mercedes> I'll wait on a reply of four answers from you guys before I rely as to cost.:smirk:

Last edited:

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Richard,

Do you think if I swapped out my single throw fog light switch that currently only controls the headlight encased front fog lights, for the double pole double throw switch that has rear fog on bottom part of switch the internal wire loom is ready to go, or is there another Extra Bulb that would be required?

Thanks,

Tibor

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Richard,

Do you think if I swapped out my single throw fog light switch that currently only controls the headlight encased front fog lights, for the double pole double throw switch that has rear fog on bottom part of switch the internal wire loom is ready to go, or is there another Extra Bulb that would be required?

Thanks,

Tibor
The double switch is plug and go as it is integrated via the column stalk
There are no extra wires on the switch as a septate lead so it's plug and Go
The MB part number for the double pole switch is MB 006 545 51 07 this is the correct number as it matches the interchange manual through Australia to Europe Mercedes head office online. Dodge moper parts references would do the same but it's not as easy as the Mercedes site has a different number sequence for the states but that's an internal ref/ number as to both Dodge and Freightliner, but I don't know how that works.
Richard
PS George has the right number for the same switch, including the Dodge number of 5120 484 AA

Last edited:

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Thanks Richard,

I will get this switch and see if I can get a rear fog light out of the deal!

Cheers,

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
are they clear smooth and see through?
or do they have the ribs molded in on the inside that diffuse the light?

The big difference beween the two is appearance, not material.

I highly doubt they are the clear see-through type, but I could very well be wrong...

Cheers
George

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
are they clear smooth and see through?
or do they have the ribs molded in on the inside that diffuse the light?

On the older 2000-2002 models there are ribs molded inside to diffuse the light the ribs are vertical.

The big difference beween the two is appearance, not material.

I highly doubt they are the clear see-through type, but I could very well be wrong...
From 2003 the same light has a vertical line inside of the light to diffuse the fog-lamp but it's clear.
Cheers
George
I think where the differences between the two is in part that the older unit has no opaque glass front, but also it has changed in it's appearance due to heat from the bulb, and UV lighting changes from age,plus a sandblasted effect from driving into dust particles over time, being a plastic type unit it makes sense these will degrade earlier than a glass unit.
Richard
I just checked them again the older light is more diffused in color than the newer type which is clear but with similar vertical lines on the inside glass unit all are POLY CARBONATE NOT GENUINE GLASS.
Double thanks Richard

Last edited:

Top Bottom