• 27-29 MPG

Votes: 39 4.3%
  • 30-32 MPG

Votes: 14 1.5%
  • 33+ MPG

Votes: 5 0.5%

• Total voters

yuke

It would be interesting to have each of you contributing to this survey let the rest of us know what size Sprinter you have, what your rear end ratio is, and how heavily it is normally loaded (or the actual weight if you have weighed it).
Rear end Ratios are:
3.727:1 (normally in 118" wb and 140" wb unless something higher was ordered)
3.916:1 (normally found on 140" wb and 158" wb 2500's unless something higher was ordered)
4.182:1 (normally found in 140" and 158" 3500's with the full floater rear axles and dual rear wheels + most cab/chassis RV's and Box trucks)
Be interesting to see how much the rear end ratio affects the overall mileage.
Roger
How can you measure your wheelbase is it simply center to center front to rear wheel and is there a tag on your rear telling ratio or listed somewhere?

sailquik

All of the info and specifications you are asking about are available ( along with ALL the options codes built into your Sprinter when it was originally assembled is on the OEM Build Data Card available on the MB Int’l vehicles database.
Send an email to sailquik with a valid return email address and I’ll download your data card and send it to you as an attachment in .pdf format.
Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

autostaretx

Erratic Member
How can you measure your wheelbase is it simply center to center front to rear wheel
Yes, or simply "best guess" about where the center of the tires' footprints are.
(given that the "nominal" numbers are 118, 140 and 158 inches, stunning accuracy isn't needed.)

With the T1N you can also get a handle on it by looking at the cargo area's side window (or window-dimple) patterns. If there are two, and they're equal-sized, it's a 118". If there are two, and they are not equal sized, it's a 140. If there are three, it's a 158.
and is there a tag on your rear telling ratio or listed somewhere?
Again, yes ... there is (was?) a label on the diff housing that gave the ratio (it may be expressed as the two gear-tooth counts instead of a x.xxxx number).

As sailquik said: you can send him your VIN and he'll return the info.

You can also look it up for yourself at http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check

--dick

Last edited:
Just fueled up. Averaged 18mpg �� A lot of up hill and a lot of head wind. Averaging 65mph on highway. Seems quite the jump from my average 22-23mpg. Might do some hunting

2005 2500 long, tall, unloaded, around town, back roads, 45-55, no big hills or wind, I drive smoothly, hard, high pressure Michelins, 25 mpg consistently. 99.9% sure it is the 4.18 rear end.

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
22.14 mpg on my most recent fillup. With GDE tune, winter diesel, no fuel additive. Half city, half highway, plenty of bad traffic, portland area. Accelerating just as quick or quicker than traffic (So not babying the throttle). Along with, I'd estimate maybe 25 judicious uses of full throttle or launches from a stop on this tanks worth of fuel as traffic/safety situations require. 57-64mph on the highway, usually cruise locked at 57. Pleased with these results. I can't always accelerate like a granny and feel like an asshole if there's someone behind me. I get down to 18mph when I'm driving it like a racevan. Oh and the load, well hmm, half of this tank had about 600 pounds in the back, half of it was unloaded.

04 2500 high top 140" wheelbase, michelin LTX AT2 16" tires, recently changed synthetic diff oil may have helped, engine oil is mobil 1 euro formula oil 0/40w

Last edited:

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
23.8mpg on my most recent tank of winter B20 diesel from space age. Not even babying the throttle, just accelerating moderately. W00t

Things running like a champ! Now I just wonder what will be next to require TLC. But I don't mind, it's worth taking care of.

BryannayrB

All imports can legally over report mileage and most do ( mine is off 6 MPH) so even though the math says I get 20.6 mpg the reality is I only get 19.3

glasseye

I've been in the lower mid twenties for nearly 120K miles of "old man" driving style. My dad taught me to drive like there was a raw egg under my throttle/brake foot and an open chocolate milkshake on the dash.

Two days ago, racing home across southern BC to beat an approaching storm, I took the opposite tack. Pedal to the effing metal all day for 800kms. 130kph sustained where safe for most of the nine hours it takes to cross 7 mountain passes and a lot of two-lane.

My mileage didn't budge. 23.8 mpusg calculated for that tank. Awesome! :rad::cheers:

It was "premium diesel", though. Slightly higher advertised cetane rating and $0.05 more per litre at the pump. Worth it, apparently.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
All imports can legally over report mileage and most do ( mine is off 6 MPH) so even though the math says I get 20.6 mpg the reality is I only get 19.3
Are you talking your Speedo is off or your Odo is off by that much? My Sprinter has the Speedo that reports much faster than I am going, to slow me down I am sure. I use an OBD II device that shows the speed the car thinks it's going and that number is correct. The Odometer is also correct as I have measured the distances to highway destinations and they match what the Odo says. Also matches my GPS maps feature.

I would be surprised if you were getting that much of a diff in your MPG

-Randy

alexk243

KulAdventure
Looking for advice on MPGs here.

2004 T1N 140" and just installed 245/75/16 BFGoodrich KO2s and I dropped from 21-22mpg highway to 18mpg highway... has anyone else dealt with this? Is that to be expected with a bigger tire?

YoungRovers

2004 T1N 140" and just installed 245/75/16 BFGoodrich KO2s and I dropped from 21-22mpg highway to 18mpg highway... has anyone else dealt with this? Is that to be expected with a bigger tire?
Did you compensate for the different miles and speed due to the different tyre sizes...larger Tyres have a larger rolling circumference so will read less miles travelled on the odometer...to clarify...one rotation of a larger tyre may cover 3 feet...a smaller tyre may only cover 2&1/2 feet...so speedometer will read slower than you are actually traveling..or show less miles than actually travelled..

alexk243

KulAdventure
Did you compensate for the different miles and speed due to the different tyre sizes...larger Tyres have a larger rolling circumference so will read less miles travelled on the odometer...to clarify...one rotation of a larger tyre may cover 3 feet...a smaller tyre may only cover 2&1/2 feet...so speedometer will read slower than you are actually traveling..or show less miles than actually travelled..
I did not. Not sure how to compensate for that.

Would a scan gauge show the real MPG?

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I did not. Not sure how to compensate for that.

Would a scan gauge show the real MPG?
No. The odometer is based on stock 225/75R16 tires, and you need an DRB-III or Star to recalibrate the ECM for different tire sizes.

Your new 245/75R16 tires roll 4% further per revolution, so your calculated 18 mpg is actually 18.7 mpg.

The good news is that while your odometer is now reading 4% low, your real speed is 4% faster than stock, which mostly corrects the 5% over-read built into the speedometer.

-dave

Last edited:

alexk243

KulAdventure
No. The odometer is based on stock 225/75R16 tires, and you need an DRB-III or Star to recalibrate the ECM for different tire sizes.

Your new 245/75R16 tires roll 4% further per revolution, so your calculated 18 mpg is actually 18.7 mpg.

The good news is that while your odometer is now reading 4% low, your real speed is 4% faster than stock, which mostly corrects the 5% over-read built into the speedometer.

-dave
Haha yeah I noticed the MPH difference. It's now spot on with GPS speed.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
700 mile run west over Canada’s rocky mountains Calgary to Vancouver,
flowing with traffic 55-80 mph, typical cruising below 70% load on OBD Fusion app.

Burned a hair over 10 litres per 100 kilometers; 23.5 mpg.

2004 140” high roof, 179,000 miles, loaded to about 7000 lbs gvw this trip.

-dave

bobinyelm

26mpg 2005 158" High Roof 2500

25 around town. 27 highway.

Pretty much empty or full (1800 pounds inside), no difference.

21mpg towing 3500 pound travel trailer.

p3424

"21mpg towing 3500 pound travel trailer. "

Did grandma honk and motioned with her finger while passing you going at 45 to 50mph?

RJV

What were you running before? An all terrain tire or a highway tire or mud + snow tire? Tread pattern and rubber compound has a lot to do with MPG. BFG KO2's aren't really designed with highway driving in mind. Do they look cool? Yes.

Top Bottom