Ford Transit as Sprinter competition

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Interesting point Mercedes v DCX =Sprinter
vito car sales.jpg
Ford Transit UK over one millon 500 hundred thousand sold world wide
015821_3-lg.jpg
GM could bring the Australian redesigned Italian Iveco if they bought it in this is a seven ton unit
LP3hr.jpg
VW Crafter
Same as the Mercedes Sprinter different front treatment
Crafter-LP1hr.jpg

mercedes Vito
Same style as the Sprinter it's the little baby Sprinter
Vito.jpg

Attachments

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
I do not have the time too read the whole article (truth about cars in post #1) right now but will certainly later.

www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1802 said:
But the Sprinter should have been on Ford’s radar. The commercial vehicle represents a rapidly growing market segment that DaimlerChrysler is busy claiming for itself. That’s a couple of hundred thousand trucks a year, with good margins. Gone.
I am, and have been for some time now very surprised that Ford has sat back and watched this happen, especially where they already have a vehicle in production! IMO They were so fat & happy on their SUV products and now they are paying...big time. I feel bad for the thousands that will be or have been laid off and think some heads should roll in the front office. I've read that the transit is arguably a better van but my loyalty will be with Sprinter. The new model has yet to be reviewed and hopefully may just pick up the slack!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Interesting article Zach. Thanks for posting it. :bow:

The Transit and the Crafter have very similar front ends and they are both very nice looking.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Just for you guy's here is a little more info on the UK Ford Tansit
we have had them since the late sixty's and they are still being used today , I know of a plumber with the MK 11 and a electrician with a MK 1 still being used as one owner vehicles, they are not my favourite vehicle in the comercial range but to give credit where it belongs Ford UK got it right with this vehicle the latest Ford which was released in April this year will undergo major mechanicial upgrades mid- 2007 it will have a new engine to comply with Euro 4 ans 5 specifications all-wheel drive Mercedes are working on the same AWD .to meet 2008 specifications with emissions.
Ford Transit 2006

Jonathan Fry: Ford Transit 2006

transit1.jpg

Last edited:

Zach Woods

Next time anyone asks me if my Sprinter Westfalia is slow with "such a little diesel engine in it . . ." I will insist they view the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbofWwkNEtE

Of course, they will just point out that the van in the video is a Ford Transit . . .

I suppose it might also help when people ask about the handling . . .

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Next time anyone asks me if my Sprinter Westfalia is slow with "such a little diesel engine in it . . ." I will insist they view the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbofWwkNEtE

Of course, they will just point out that the van in the video is a Ford Transit . . .

I suppose it might also help when people ask about the handling . . .
you got that one right Zack remember it's the older Ford Transit front wheel drive and no ESP ABS or much of anything else. the chaissis is just like ford's over 25 years old a real death trap for front end collisions etc , but never-less
a very firm and proven basic unit for general delivery and great for camper conversion.The new Ford has all the ESP and BAS and lots, and lots of dials to play with , but it's not in the same race as the Mercedes-Benz and never will be, the only thing going for it! Is the price difference between the two, If your into a quick buck and don't care about the safety aspects, then join the rust bucket parade and go for it.
Still a previous clip on the Ford Transit and the Mercedes-benz Which would I prefere? The Mercedes of course.
Comparativa Ford Transit Vs. Mercedes Sprinter - Google Video

ambo s.jpg

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
you got that one right Zack remember it's the older Ford Transit front wheel drive and no ESP ABS or much of anything else. the chaissis is just like ford's over 25 years old a real death trap for front end collisions etc
I'm surprised Ford didn't bring the Transit here and renamed it the Econoline. The current Transit is probably light years ahead of the Econoline in design. The Econoline is at least 15 years old. No wonder Ford is in dire straits. It would've at least given the Sprinter a run for its money.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Sikwan
Honest the Transit would no get past the front end or to deflecting the 45 degree impact tests, in the U.S??? the brand new one is still using the old engine and it is just scrapping through with the Euro4 Enmission particle filter as it does not have weight configuration for 3,5 tonn plus Euro 5 does not effect it as of yet.
It is a good van there is no question about this as they have sold in excess of 1.5 million since the MK 1 version The Mercedes has almost done this inside of ten years where ford has had over 25+ years, It needs a new chassis it's as simple as that, I have seen the Mercedes side by side impact tests using the Sprinter and Transit, the driver survives in the Merc, the transit driver (Dummy) got sort of real bent it's for Mercedes personal not for general exhibition
I belive mid 2007 There will be changes for this model rear live axle, not front wheel drive and or options for both etc.
I understand the problems the U.S and Canadian sectors are going through, Ok let's be blunt the big three screwed up big time, but it's real serious when it comes down to the real-time economics of the sector that employee's so many folk in the N/American sector, let's remember the Blame game lies with the non directive of previous Govenments! The original problem started back in the late fourties where the compleate responsibility
for Health retirement and unemployment laid with the auto maufacturing industry, with the govenment walking away with clean hands, Ok the Unions most likely pushed wage claims to far in the past, so did every other union throughout the western sectors world-wide, but in fairness the manufactures made huge profits, so I have no problems with those large companies shareing a little of the wealth back to the very people who made them rich and comfortable, in the very generous life style!they enjoyed.
Time has passed the first warning was in the late sixties then early seventies it has been in decline since then , with no real effort to improve or replace an ageing infrastructures, Now it needs help to refinance to rebuild the Greatest auto industry the world has ever seen , and the Govenment is the only one capable of financing this.
If persay the Transit, Sprinter, Inveco, were allowed to be into the States on a leval playing feild, along with so many other makes not in the States, it's idustry would go into a total collapse within two years, this would have enormous ramifactions to the economics of the U.S and Canada it's not just the Auto industry, that would feel the pinch, all manufactures of produce right through the entire work force, would feel the immediate impacts of a recession
It may not be such a good idea to think of importing, rather to shore up and rebuild the economics in the U.S as a first priority.
Just a thought, as Iv'e seen and been through this In Australia, it was in a simular situation in the late sixties through to 1972 it took untill late 1998 to show the long term benefits of modernisation, now with China selling everything from A to Z this is starting to impact on our import export balances of GDP
maybe slightly off the topic, but this is just a small part of what these three vehicles could do, towards local employment.
Richard

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Thanks Richard. I'm sure there are more things that I don't know about why they don't replace the Econoline with the Transit or just redesign the aging design.

It's interesting that the targeted competition for the Transit are running front wheel drive and Ford will give an option for customers to choose. I expected the majority of the customers prefer rear wheel drive when they're considering a cargo van like the Transit. I wonder why that's true? :idunno:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
silwan
Haveing a not too....deep thought on the Front wheel v rear wheel drive option ?
With the Ford it has one advantage over the Sprinter, that being it uses a wide track suspension setup just Like Pontiac did in 1965,this gives the unit a more secure road handling car characteristics by lowering the tyre profile to 14'rimes, in doing this very old Hot rodders trick, the centre of gravity is also lowered... because of this the vehicle is more stable almost to the point of not requiring the likes of ESP, at lower speeds under 50 MPH.
The Transit was originally designed for the UK Market with a three speed manual transmission and a standard 4 pot petrol naturally aspirated single Zenith carb, Front wheel drive works very well on flat roads, with little hill climbing or from a standing start, the roads in the UK once off the main-stream highways are little more than single lane roads, winding through the countryside , which divert into lanes basically not enough room for two vehicles to pass each other, once off a hard road surface. Front wheel drive has more traction and less understeer, or chances of getting bogged down on a country farm track.
Australia of course had them sent down as an alternative to two choices of vans that Ford Australia had on offer the Ford Falcon Panel van or as you guys called them delivery vans, the difference was the tops of the vans where raised from the standard station wagon height, they were only designed to carry 1/2 tonn the Transit was offered as a one ton unit in both van and pickup or fLAT TRAY we never had the stake configuration installed that was and is still popular in the U.S
Australian Ford falcon panel van 1966 through to 1971
69526x500y420.jpg

69529x500y420.jpg
The larger Ford's F Series from the U.S were very expensive and Fuel was an issue back in 1972.

With the Mark 11 Ford transit, the first non turbo units came down in Diesel
and did they smoke! right up untill this latest model Front wheel drive Diesel from a standing start non turbo assist from a hill start at 45 degree was a no go, you just blew the clutch out, or the linkages were bent out of shape and the clutch fork actually inverted to the opposite direction under the pressure of the the gearbox tying to bend the whole chassis, the torsion from the unit was beyond the Ford, or even the older Mercedes to handle this work load, so in come the turbo assist to solve the problem but again Ford now understand in some applications front wheel drive units will not work under hill start operations with a full load, as all the pulling power comes from the front opposed to rear wheel drive, where it will push the unit forward without the stress associated with a front wheel drive unit, trying it best to drag it's load forward push pull two different applications for working vehicles.
Mercedes may come through with the all whell drive option late next year for the Sprinter as Ford is also working on the same concept which gives both vehicles superior handeling characteristics which is a standard feature in all Mercedes vehicles of the higher priced units.

I don't know how Ford can resolve it's problems as for GM which has the same problems, they have untill 2012 to resolve all of the factors of Euro configurations for saftety fuel and what ever else the EPA and saftey mandates required for the larger Fords, even the 2008-9 Ford is going to be a tough sell to the U.S folk and if the oil prices spike agian then what hope does Ford have to fund and redevelop a brand new Ford from scratch?
RichardDSC_8020.jpgDSC_8022.jpgDSC_8024.jpg

Attachments

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
If it has a blue oval on it, I won't like it.
Oh! a little bit of bias showing up on the thread:tongue: but then again we all know what FORD stands for!
FIXED OR REPAIRED DAILY
FOUND ON A RUBBISH DUMP
FULL OF RUSTY DENTS
FOND OF RAINY DAY's

For the lover of the blue oval
Full Of Romantic Dreams.
and I just happen to own the very first Ford Fairmont to come of the Australian production lines, it's old and unrestored but dead 100% original
Lets see if the Sprinters make the Golden mile.
LONG LIVE FORD:rad:

poolmike

'05 2500 SHC
and I just happen to own the very first Ford Fairmont to come of the Australian production lines, it's old and unrestored but dead 100% original
Lets see if the Sprinters make the Golden mile.
LONG LIVE FORD:rad:
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Ahh, but does it have a blue oval on it????

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The Revolution to the Of. F>O>R>D. U.K
Just keeps on Moving ON
First Transit German design 1964 Looks like the 1960 US ford Econo-line:smilewink:
1965 First MK 1
Ford_Taunus_Transit_1964_1.jpg

1965Transit.jpg
transit.jpg
20070225202030!TransitVI.jpg
Ford Transit in the US
?
Richard

Top Bottom