Votes: 148 15.0%

Votes: 395 40.1%

Votes: 71 7.2%

Votes: 138 14.0%

Votes: 29 2.9%

Votes: 89 9.0%

• Total voters

Turbo John

That might be better, but the poll is "Best Sprinter Year". Owning a given model year of Sprinter for even 9 years is still only owning one model year Sprinter. You have no real personal comparison to other model years (nor do I).

It's not a bad thread as there have been some good things revealed here, it's just a kinda funny premise for a poll. Carry on. vic
Another thought............when I bought my Sprinter.....they were not really popular. As a matter of fact it got a lot of attention from people who were not too familiar with them and would like one. I dont really think they got popular until 2006 hence all the votes........they took a while to catch on in my humble opinion.........

I never hardly seen any Sprinters in 2004 and 2005.......not until 2006 did I start to see them........how many concur?

mholbrook38

Well, I've waded through all this thread and garnered a lot of info. I just bought my 2007 (2006 T1N chassis) Roadtrek a couple months ago. I drove it back to Idaho from New Orleans and got 22-23 mpg for the 2400 mile trip. The 2006 was the last model year of the T1N 5cyl engine. I was looking for a 5cyl because they are strong, last long time, don't have the emissions junk associated with urine. I figured the 06 was the height of technology of the T1N so I feel fortunate to have bought the one I did. I only have 13xxx miles on it right now. Should last the rest of my lifetime for sure. I love driving it on the highway or in the city. So easy. So, I vote for 2006 based on my limited knowledge and experience.

Sprinter SS

I now have a 2012 144 double door cargo that I ordered to replace my 03 140 high top cargo I had since new. The 03 covered 166k and is still running good for the new owner, I replaced 3 sets of tires, 1 egr, 1 belt, 1 turbo waste gate (at 34k), injection pump, transmission o-ring, and a ton of rear light bulbs!

Good vehicle, non commercial use for me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358340015.217192.jpg

I ordered a 2012 which I now have 19k . Only a annoying side door squeak and a failed sound 20 are my list of casualties so far. Gets better mileage than I expected the NCV3 would (21 combined), and if it did not go through its regen mode I think it could get 23.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358340158.774569.jpg

1jgmongmail

want to buy 2005 with 176,000 miles, they don't know if a trans service was ever done, also replaced 3 or 4 fuel injectors (gelling?). drives great with power on uphill highway onramp, trans did rumble once (saw ur fix) Mistake to buy? thanks!

rb3232

Any feedback on the 2011. The van I'm considering is a 2011 Canadian delivery 3500 sprinter 170. I guess not assembled in the usa.

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
want to buy 2005 with 176,000 miles, they don't know if a trans service was ever done, also replaced 3 or 4 fuel injectors (gelling?). drives great with power on uphill highway onramp, trans did rumble once (saw ur fix) Mistake to buy? thanks!
I own this exact vehicle. Mine is at 177,000. Definitely not a mistake. Mine runs like a champ around town and from Florida to Maine.

Just get the transmission flush as a preventative measure. My tranny was pretty touch and go until I got my 3rd flush. I've done the flush about once a year. Now it's perfect. Dealer tried to sell me a new transmission.

mlts22

Can we toss in 2013 and 2014 in this thread as well. The 2014 Sprinters which are shipping next month promise to be interesting. Not as big as the T1N->NCV3 jump, but a lot of small things improved, especially the four-banger engine as the standard one.

surlyoldbill

We'll have to wait a year to see what the faults and strengths are with the new model. As some discussions have mentioned, the long term economy of the diesel may not eclipse the gasoline version due to addition of emissions equipment that requires replacement and maintenance on a regular basis.

A friend asked me about buying a used Sprinter, and in my opinion the T1N is the best value. The engine is more economical, the maintenance less complicated (especially OM612), and they are in less demand than the NCV3 because they are an older body style. You can still find T1N's with less than 50k miles if you look around, but one with 100-150k for $10k is a great deal.

edx

We'll have to wait a year to see what the faults and strengths are with the new model. As some discussions have mentioned, the long term economy of the diesel may not eclipse the gasoline version due to addition of emissions equipment that requires replacement and maintenance on a regular basis.

A friend asked me about buying a used Sprinter, and in my opinion the T1N is the best value. The engine is more economical, the maintenance less complicated (especially OM612), and they are in less demand than the NCV3 because they are an older body style. You can still find T1N's with less than 50k miles if you look around, but one with 100-150k for $10k is a great deal.
Bill, I am in Bay Area. Can you recommend a good local Sprinter shop for maintenance/repair? I also have a 2003 OM612, with 160K on it.
-Ed

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
Bought our 2010 Winnebago ERA Limited (2008 Sprinter chassis) with 11,400 miles on it..Drove it out to Pensacola FL and back and then out to Silver City NM an back (all total so far about 3500 miles. Ran perfectly. Traveling at 75 mph got ~18.5 mpg loaded with 3 passengers and all gear...at 65 mph got ~ 19.5 mpg...used Scanguage II to keep it below LOD of 85 ish...Only issue we have had with it was when we first bought it........we had the 0.5 amp parasitic battery draw....Got rid of the Jensen radio and replaced with a Sony...that took care of the battery draw...did my own oil and filter change, air filter change and fuel filter change before our first trip...next year I will have the trani fluid and filter change done and the rear diff oil changed...not sure if I will do this myself or pay the bucks and take it in...

She has performed flawlessly....we love the drive...she eats up the miles effortlessly...what a pleasure to drive........

Coast2Coast

2006 158 Cargo
Our 2006 Sprinter Stopped Today.. Not sure just took her in but it Looks Like Our Motor Went.. 829,000 miles.. Started making a racket.. Went about 1/4 mile and She Stopped... She will turn over.. No Water in Oil.. Wait & See.. Broke My Heart Towing Her Home.. Spent a lot time over the last 5 1/2 years in that Van.. Loading Up our other 2006 we Bought This Year.. Please Wish Us Luck..

I wonder what kinda oil this member ran?! Impressive statistics, when the bulk of the miles are highway they seem to have very impressive life expectancies :whistle:

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Bill, I am in Bay Area. Can you recommend a good local Sprinter shop for maintenance/repair? I also have a 2003 OM612, with 160K on it.
-Ed
Hey Ed I'm also seeking a long term relationship with a qualified Bay Area or Sacramento Sprinter tech. I try to do all my own work but recently had my A/C serviced at an independent shop in SF. I like them a lot, however they are a busy Mercedes shop not necessarily a Sprinter place and I'm not sure yet if they even have the ability to connect to T1N OBD nor whether they want to become a resource for Sprinter owners or not. I plan to ask the owner after the holidays. It sure would fill a void.

surlyoldbill

-Ed
I use my driveway for all repairs. People's Precision Auto next to REI works on sprinters. Don't take it to a dealership.

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
-Ed
Hey Ed I'm also seeking a long term relationship with a qualified Bay Area or Sacramento Sprinter tech. I try to do all my own work but recently had my A/C serviced at an independent shop in SF. I like them a lot, however they are a busy Mercedes shop not necessarily a Sprinter place and I'm not sure yet if they even have the ability to connect to T1N OBD nor whether they want to become a resource for Sprinter owners or not. I plan to ask the owner after the holidays. It sure would fill a void.

lileuroimport

I have a 2004 year model and from what i learned over the years I like the 04-06 year models best. The Straight inline 5 cylinder is hard to beat! My 04 now has 350k miles.
We had a 03 with 450k miles and it still ran strong. I do all of my own repairs & maintenance since I have worked as a import tech since early 80s and we did alot of european diesels from trucks to tractors in that shop .

psalm66

I own a 2010. How do I compare that to the other 2004 - 2009 Sprinters that I've never owned nor driven and call one "best"? I don't understand this poll.

tinman

My limited experience is a 2006 LTV/2005 T1N bought a couple of years ago with 18000 miles. We've done a couple of trips up the Alaska highway, one hauling a tent trailer, and last year a three month trip from home in Alberta, Canada to Newfoundland (highly recommended) and New England and back. Total miles now about 40,000, and total unscheduled maintenance two light bulbs. Gas mileage at 60-65 mph. is phenominal. I do my own oil changes and fuel filter. Very happy with both the vehicle and the LTV conversion.

Andy

surlyoldbill

The correct answer to this question would be:

The model year that matches the date currently displayed on your calendar. A brand new Sprinter will be the most trouble-free. When the calendar ticks over to 2015, get a 2015.

Top Bottom