Clanking sound shifting from park while on a hill

Brad75

2013 NCV3
Sometimes when im on a hill an go to shift out of park i hear a loud metal on metal clanking sound... my old ford f-250 used to do the same thing so i figure maybe its because im on a hill. is this normal ??

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
Sometimes when im on a hill an go to shift out of park i hear a loud metal on metal clanking sound... my old ford f-250 used to do the same thing so i figure maybe its because im on a hill. is this normal ??
It is normal for that to happen, but it is only because you are not using the proper procedure when you park your Sprinter.

You should always set the parking brake and then put the vehicle in park. That will eliminate the loud clank sound and you won't damage your shifter, shifter cable or linkage, or the other parts to the mechanism which are internal to your transmission.

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
well there ya go ............i have to get into the habbit of using the E-brake.

I mostly know because I live on a steep hill. I have friends who parked their vehicles and didn't set the parking brake, some of whom barely got them out of gear when they went to leave. For me personally, I actually set the brake, take my foot of the foot brake and then put the Sprinter in park, just to make sure the parking mechanism doesn't jam on me. It's overkill, but I'm sorta obsessive with my parking method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom