2010 Sprinter Roadtrek..144"

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Bob mentioned the pump screen which is a good idea. I wonder about the aerator screens on the galley faucet and bath sink faucet. I had this problem in a high iron situation once that plugged the screens and I had low flow. One would think the pump screen would stop debris, but who knows.
Aye,will look at these too, thanks! Now I must find the water pump. Am deaf, remember...so gotta feel where the most vibration is in locating the pump or get my hearing neighbor to isolate it. Think it's in the hanging closet.

cheers.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Getting ready to de-winterize as the temps are climbing a bit. Next week it's Westward-Ho!

Am soliciting some advice again regarding the water heater. I see some conversation that the water heater can either be heating water via LP or 120vac !

I don't see any 120vac switch on mine or have I overlooked it. I only see an LP fired switch on my overhead panel!

All I see here is a "reset" rubberized panel. No 120vac switch present anywhere there?

Aha..heating element needs to go. Rusted(must be steel instead of brass?)

cheers...

Last edited:
I think that last picture is your anode, not your heating element. I stayed with gas on mine. I just turn it on a little in the am and then again in the pm.

icarus

Pull the anode and replace it with combintion anode/drain valve. Makes draining and flushing the water heater much easier.

You don't have any 120 vac to the water heater, only 12 vdc to fire the ignitor.

Icarus

gte

2008 RS
In case you do not have a combination drain valve and anode rod you can release any pressure in the tank using the pressure relief valve. I forgot to do this once and as I removed the anode rod.... I finally found it in my neighbors yard. It is recommended you exercise these valves occasionally to make certain they are free and able to open in the event of high pressure.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Good Morning..

Preparing the Van for the long trip! Found these two bolts in the glove compartment. You have any idea what these are for?

Thank you...

cheers...

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I think that last picture is your anode, not your heating element. I stayed with gas on mine. I just turn it on a little in the am and then again in the pm.
But if you REALLY want to heat with electricity (great for not running out of hot water by running both heaters at once) you can upgrade using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-11673-Water-Hybrid-Heat/dp/B0024ECCJW

-Randy

disclaimer: My water heater is built with both heat options, I have just seen this product at RV stores over the years, I don't actually have experience with it.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I use a similar unit in my modified beer keg to heat 5 gallons of water in about 45 minutes while driving using my Sprinter powered inverter. It works.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Yep, something to look at after our Westward-Ho maiden voyage! Electric heating I mean.

Replaced the anode (sorry Icarus; could not find an anode/drain valve here: too later for internet order). Filled/burped the water system. Used the pump to fill the 6 gallon water heater and the rest to see how long it took to fill and expel all air...20 min.

Now by heating the water heater: turn on LP; turn on the water heater switch; pilot lights up Red, but no ignition at the heater. Don't see any piezo ignition device at the water heater/LP neck? So lighted it via match. Woosshhhh..lighted with no problem. Is this the way it's supposed to be lighted that I have to go outside... hmmnn??

Water heater ceased heating when having met the temperature. Now if temps drops is it supposed to re-light itself?

Flame was good but yellowish; where do you adjust the flame so that it burns more blue?

Thank you in advance..

cheers...

Last edited:

RT.SS

It has an auto igniter (see pics below).

I don't think the flame can be adjusted, use compressed air to clean the gas nozzle maybe it is just dirty.

RE: Adding an aftermarket electric heater conversion kits that threads into the Anode rod orifice is not advised by Suburban as their tanks are made of steel with porcelain coating. It needs the sacrificial Anode to prevent tank corrosion.

icarus

Don't light it with a match! Make sure the gas is on and purged of air, by lighting a stove burner. Then turn the water heater switch on the wall on. If it doens't light itself, and then turns red, push the reset button on the water heater. Sometimes, just turning it off at the wall and retrying will get it to light. The water will get to temp, shut off, and then refire as needed.

The reason it didn't light the first time probably was a result of air in the propane line. Lighting with a match is dangerous unless you really know what you're doing AND you ae very careful! I also would not drive with the propane tank "ON" as it leaves open gas line in case of accident, and the potential for an open flame (water heater, fridge) which is bad news in my book. Others may disagree.

Icarus

PS. Anode/drain valve should be avaialbe at any good RV store, or any good hardware store on the road.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Aye guys...what would I do without you?? Will try it tomorrow... wooo...am delighted :cheers:

The Gen too will be tested tomorrow for the first time since 2012....:idunno:

cheers....

RT.SS

Hi Mein, I just noted from your picture above that the water heater still set on "Winter" mode. To use the water heater, you need to open the top and bottom valves and close the middle valve "Summer" mode, pls. refer to your manual.

Mein Sprinter

Known member

Hi Mein, I just noted from your picture above that the water heater still set on "Winter" mode. To use the water heater, you need to open the top and bottom valves and close the middle valve "Summer" mode, pls. refer to your manual.
Ja, ja RT.SS...! You got keen eyes! This was an older pix before de-winterizing. Of course went into "summer mode" when doing todays flush, flush, fill, burp, fill burp,etc. Am Okay :rad:.

cheers...

Top Bottom