Am I remotely screwed?

sams

While visiting Palm Springs today I went for a short swim and soak in the whirlpool tub. Unfortunately I still had the 2004 remote/key in my pocket.

I took the cr2025 batteries out and its now sitting and drying out. I would appreciate any hints on artificial recessutation that might work. Im thinking of baking it in the oven on low for a while.

I can still use it manually, of course, but have grown used to the convenience of remote lock/unlock. Has anyone had to replace theirs from a dealer? Can I replace just one or am I looking at a total rekey job?

My wife says this is what I get for wearing trunks in the jet tub.......

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
If it was in fresh water just let it dry out, or maybe gently dry it on the low setting of a blow dryer. Certainly not the oven.

I think there's more than a remote chance of it being just fine.

sams

It was a saltwater pool with a freshwater jet tub rinse. Blow dryer makes good sense, Ill give it a try. Thanks.

sams

Thanks. I just warmed it up with the blow dryer, no sign of drainage. Into the rice bin it goes.

Now if I can keep it out of the rice cooker I may have a shot.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
If it was in salt water at all make sure it is thoroughly rinsed. If it isn't then it is probably better to rinse it again than to let it dry with any salt content in the water.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
If it was in salt water at all make sure it is thoroughly rinsed. If it isn't then it is probably better to rinse it again than to let it dry with any salt content in the water.
If you can rinse it in distiller water to remove any salts. Then do the rice treatment. Just an idea....

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
You can and should take it apart to make sure it's dried out. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry the top half and bottom half apart. Make sure you don't loose the spring or black cap the spring goes into. Both of them are used to make the key "flip" out when you release it. Also make sure you don't loose the black rectangular chip that is located under the white plastic holder. That chip is what talks to the SKREEM and lets you start the van. The green circuit board is removeable and is what you really need to get dry if you want the remote locks to still work.
Good luck!

sams

thanks to all for your constructive help and encouragement. Ill know in a couple of days when I reinstall new batteries.

glasseye

I agree with the "rinse it in freshwater" idea. Then, put it in a ziplock bag with some silica gel. Whatever you do, don't actuate it until you're sure it's dry.

sams

Well, its good news,bad news to report.

I dried it out in the desert air for a couple of days then installed new batteries. It worked for about two days, then quit and now doesnt work. It will still start the van. When I depress the buttons, the red iight blinks briefly, but no unlock or lock.

Again, thanks for the help.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I would try the following in this order:
1) Try re-mating the fob to the vehicle. There should be a procedure in your owners manual. I once had a fob just stop working and this procedure fixed it. N.B.: IIRC, you have to do all of your keys at the same time.
2) Take the unit apart and thoroughly re-wash in distilled water, as described above. You need to get ALL the salt out. I would probably soak it for a little while. I know that this is scary, but you have little to lose at this point. It is unlikely that you will damage the RFID in the ignition key--it is very likely potted.
3) Try one more battery.

Good luck.
--Pete

sams

as is sometimes the case in life, the correct answer appears to be "benign neglect"

after a few more days in the Arizona sun, the remote has regained all of its lost superpowers. I guess we can return home to the PNW now.

as is sometimes the case in life, the correct answer appears to be "benign neglect"

I'm no stranger to procrastination paying off at times.

That said, it still may be a good idea to do the distilled water rinse as suggested.

The salt is likely in there, but not a problem in the dry AZ conditions. Once you return to the damp PNW then the salt will literally suck moisture from the air. That can trigger longer term corrosion or short term current leakage paths. Electronics can be very sensitive to even slight cuurent leakage.

:2cents: vic

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I'm no stranger to procrastination paying off at times.

That said, it still may be a good idea to do the distilled water rinse as suggested.

The salt is likely in there, but not a problem in the dry AZ conditions. Once you return to the damp PNW then the salt will literally suck moisture from the air. That can trigger longer term corrosion or short term current leakage paths. Electronics can be very sensitive to even slight cuurent leakage.

:2cents: vic
I agree. If it started working again, you can cross #1 (re-mating the remotes) off of my list. But I think that AP is right that the problem will likely return in the damp.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
You can test for the "moisture will re-establish non-function," by exposing it to steam, say, from a shower.

You can rinse with distilled water and dry with cleaner like CRC QD® Contact Cleaner, which is purpose built to clean electronics.

Wear gloves though.

Such cleaners will dry your skin to the point where your skin might crack and bleed.

-Jon

Top Bottom