Sprinter as daily driver.

what best describes your Sprinter use?

• Total voters
The sprinter as your daily driver?

I also asked this question but until today I didn't realize how big some of the F150 size trucks really are.
The F150 super cab has a 145" WB and the total length is 231", so just two inches less than an Sprinter with normal length (144" WB). The F150 super crew is even longer than 144 Sprinter. Looking around there are alot F150's on the road and they are doubtless used as daily drivers. I am wondering if the F150 people also discuss the "daily driver question" in their forums?
My 144" is 3 or 4 inches shorter than my 1/2 Ram Crew Cab with the 5 1/2 foot bed and much easier to park with the tight turning radius.

Cookie Monster

I have my 158" set up as a limo/camper for our family of 6. It's got a queen size bed, a 4 set bench seat, and plenty of floor space for relaxing when mom gets lost in the shopping mall. It's like taking a little living room with us wherever we go. If we have extra passengers we usually take the Sienna rather than wrestle with the extra seat that I have for the sprinter. The Sprinter gets better mileage than my Tundra and often better than the Sienna but still doesn't get driven daily partially due to its size and partially because I want it to last forever. The high roof and roof top Ac prevent us from taking it through restaurant drive through lanes and downtown in big cities (parking garages, parallel parking, etc).

youngR

My new 144 standard roof 2500 will not be a daily driver, as I will ride my motocycle as daily. But if the weather is bad then I will drive the Sprinter happily.

BlackHawk

4 vehicle family here, We almost always take one of the Sprinters over the other vehicles. I'm a self-employed construction contractor and I drive a 158" 3500 daily for work, only reason it stays home is when I need to pull one of my big trailers... Then my F350 7.3 gets dusted off and pulled out.

Our 158" 2500 is a motorhome, and when we're not camping, we usually drive it every weekend for running errands. Parking and driving a full size Sprinter is daunting at first, but I don't even thing about it now days. As for the height issue, my two Sprinters, and my F350 are all too tall to fit in any parking garage I've encountered, so it's a non-issue in my book.

Besides, who needs a car?? My wife used to own a VR6 VW Golf, and we would always take the motorhome over the golf because the MOTORHOME GOT BETTER MILEAGE!!

Initially, I planned to use my mini van for weekdays and the Sprinter for weekends. I finally sold the mini van because...I enjoyed driving the Sprinter...could take naps when/if needed...have a private space of my own away from my cubicle...could have all my SUP, sail and camping gear ready and loaded for last minute after work activities. It got to the point where my mini van battery would be drained, a tire would be flat or gear would have to be loaded/unloaded/duplicated when I wanted to drive the mini van. 2 vans became a hassle instead of a convenience.

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Well I'm just shy of 5 years of being a Sprinter owner and still see no reason to downsize.
I've done 56000kms since I bought it, total now 116000km.
If I had to park in town more often, I might reconsider but for now, it's a keeper!

Wanderweg

Converting to Adventure

Drive my 2500 pop-top everywhere. I avg 19 in city and 24 on the open road. Better than my previous cars.

Kimo

Drive it most days to work or ride my Aprilia. The sprinter gets better mpg than my Mazdaspeed 6 so I save that car when I'm looking for smiles per gallon.

It kinda stands out in the work parking lot.

vgfinch

I have a Dodge caravan and a 2015 Sprinter - 170 inch 2500 passenger van, which I am slowly converting to a camper.
The Dodge minivan is a little easier to get around , but the Sprinter is soooo much more fun to drive. I do park a little further away from the front doors in a shopping mall, but walking is my exercise program, so this is a win-win situation. My ass does stick out a little, so I pull forward into front vacant space a couple of feet. The two spaces that I occupy are not taking anything away from anyone else as the p/lots usually have plenty of empty spaces where I park. In a perfect world, I would trade in my Caravan for a short box MB Sprinter passenger van.

Tahoejeep

My daily driver is a n '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee, built in Austria, imported to the US through Italy and powered my the Mercedes 2.7L CRD diesel. So it has a Sprinter drivetrain. The only thing I watch for is I try to drive it long enough to get the engine warm - so I watch out for the short trips in town. I have an old New Beetle as a toad behind the Sprinter motorhome ('06 chassis Winnebago View), so sometimes use the bug for the short trips.

windseye

I still find it hard to believe that my 2003 158 SHC gets better mileage than my wife's 2010 Subaru Forester but it is true. I use the Sprinter for any trips over 3 miles but often borrow the Subie for the short trips into town. I don't like to run the Sprinter cold and the Subie is easier to parallel park.

Bacho

I drive my 170 pretty often, but I also have a 1998 BMW M3 for something a little more sporty and easier to park.

Dougs

I have an '04 that is my work truck, I have had it since new. I also have a '16 that I fully customized for mountain biking, dirt biking and general fun and that is my daily driver and it is a 170ex.

ManWithDog

if i ever find my long tall t1n it'll be my daily driver. after i get it like i want it i'll probably buy a old mercedes 300d or perhaps a early 2000s alh vw tdi beater to get around in. i'm sure driving a big sprinter everywhere must get tiresome tho i currently own a vw vanagon and it's my daily and i dread driving it places but not just because of size - attention. and i'm sure the sprinter gets just as much if not more attention. yikes.

at least ithe mercedes is more difficult to steal or break into. my vw has got to be the easiest thing to steal..

what do you guys think about daily driving a 140 wb regular top? I'm considering getting that instead of the monster 158 just to blend in better. opinions on the 158 tall vs the 140 regular?

ManWithDog

My daily driver is a n '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee, built in Austria, imported to the US through Italy and powered my the Mercedes 2.7L CRD diesel. So it has a Sprinter drivetrain. The only thing I watch for is I try to drive it long enough to get the engine warm - so I watch out for the short trips in town. I have an old New Beetle as a toad behind the Sprinter motorhome ('06 chassis Winnebago View), so sometimes use the bug for the short trips.
How does that work for you? I am eventually wanting to do the same exact thing. perhaps a 98 tdi new beetle. and pull it behind my t1n state to state

Sprinter SS

I have been driving Sprinters since 2003 daily. I have only had 140" & 144" so getting around parking lots etc is no big deal. You can even get a high top (non 4wd) through most drive thrus as well for a coffee....

Mileage is better than most cars, visibility is great and its really not bad in congested areas.

Top Bottom