High idle packages?

NevadaBlue

My dealer just told me that the only high idle option available in the '17 Sprinter is the 'High Idle Fixed', X06 now.
Can anyone here confirm that? Sure seems odd.

If you go to mbvans.com, then go to build your Sprinter, under packages the Variable High Idle package is shown as still available.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
If you go to mbvans.com, then go to build your Sprinter, under packages the Variable High Idle package is shown as still available.
Yes, but I believe that what is available on the MB website are still builds for 2016 model year, although it does not specify. No options have changed on the website while there are some additions and changes announced to the options for 2017 model year, so I believe what you are building is a 2016 model although it may get built as a 2017. Looks like MB hasn't updated their website with the changes for 2017 yet.

NevadaBlue

I wanted the option to idle the engine faster if I need it. My son is a Disabled Veteran and we just might get stuck in traffic or have to wait in the van for some reason. Being able to idle the engine faster to get heat or cooling, with less stress on the engine would be a good thing. The maker doesn't recommend long idle times, more than a few minutes, and my experience with being a diesel engine mechanic in the past says that these modern, efficient engines probably shouldn't be idled for long periods. Older, less efficient engines that produce a lot of waste heat are OK normally, but the new ones just don't make the extra heat needed to keep themselves clean when idling at low idle.

4wheels

I wanted the option to idle the engine faster if I need it. My son is a Disabled Veteran and we just might get stuck in traffic or have to wait in the van for some reason. Being able to idle the engine faster to get heat or cooling, with less stress on the engine would be a good thing. The maker doesn't recommend long idle times, more than a few minutes, and my experience with being a diesel engine mechanic in the past says that these modern, efficient engines probably shouldn't be idled for long periods. Older, less efficient engines that produce a lot of waste heat are OK normally, but the new ones just don't make the extra heat needed to keep themselves clean when idling at low idle.
You will not get any heat when idling your OM642 with no LOAD . Very little . I see you do not talk emission junk stuff ... A lots of $$$ , when idling V6 .. Do a research .

vetablue

I have a 2017 4x4 crew van with the variable high idle option and the bracket for an auxiliary alternator. I'd like to use the Sprinter engine via the high idle setting to charge a bank of auxiliary batteries as needed when parked. My Sprinter dealer doesn't recommend running the engine for more than 15 minutes even in high idle mode. I'd appreciate any comments on this matter.

XLent

I have a 2017 4x4 crew van with the variable high idle option and the bracket for an auxiliary alternator. I'd like to use the Sprinter engine via the high idle setting to charge a bank of auxiliary batteries as needed when parked. My Sprinter dealer doesn't recommend running the engine for more than 15 minutes even in high idle mode. I'd appreciate any comments on this matter.
I don't KNOW anything, so please temper my response. Your dealer's advice MAY be swayed by the factory warranty puts them on the hook for certain emissions related equipment for 7 years.

I have to wonder why MB offers a high idle option if it will damage the engine? Or.... is this notion just a myth, or internet opinion?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I have to wonder why MB offers a high idle option if it will damage the engine? Or.... is this notion just a myth, or internet opinion?
Myth. I think people have taken the fact that idling is not great for the DPF, and assumed that high-idle must also be bad for the DPF.

D

Deleted member 50714

How can "High-idle" be bad? That's like saying running the engine is bad.

I’m looking at a ‘17 144 4x4 that has the factory cabin air option and also fixed high idle. Didn’t really want the ac package but quoted a very reasonable deal on the van. I assumed you could run the engine with the high idle and use the rear ac for cooling for a fairly length time, 1-2 hours or more if needed. Any concensus on this?

D

Deleted member 50714

I’m looking at a ‘17 144 4x4 that has the factory cabin air option and also fixed high idle. Didn’t really want the ac package but quoted a very reasonable deal on the van. I assumed you could run the engine with the high idle and use the rear ac for cooling for a fairly length time, 1-2 hours or more if needed. Any concensus on this?
High-idling is a controversial subject on the forum. Some say it is harmful and some say not. As a result, I don't believe there is a consensus.

In my humble opinion and cannot provide any supporting data. Wouldn't high-idle be the same as driving the vehicle at similar RPM? If I were inclined to high-idle for extended periods, I would open the hood to enhance heat dissipation. In contrast, extended normal idling would be bad. I would like to have the high-idle option.

Last edited by a moderator:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
How can "High-idle" be bad? That's like saying running the engine is bad.
Actually, it is like saying "Running the engine without load" is bad.
It may not be particularly bad for the engine itself, but the question is what it does to the emissions equipment.
We pretty much all agree that running the engine at normal idle for extended periods is harmful, to some degree.

D

Deleted member 50714

Actually, it is like saying "Running the engine without load" is bad.
It may not be particularly bad for the engine itself, but the question is what it does to the emissions equipment.
We pretty much all agree that running the engine at normal idle for extended periods is harmful, to some degree.
Isn't there always some load, like overcoming the friction to overcome engine components? I don't understand how it could be detrimental for the exhaust after-treatment system if you're running at the same rpm as driving? But I'm just a dummy.

Last edited by a moderator:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Isn't there always some load, like overcoming the friction to overcome engine components? I don't understand how it could be detrimental for the exhaust after-treatment system if you're running at the same rpm as driving? But I'm just a dummy.
The innate drag of the friction from the engine turning over does not constitute "Load".
My understanding is that combustion takes place at a lower average temperature, so more soot is formed. Some of which makes its home within the engine, and the rest takes up residence in the DPF. Also, at low load, fuel is more likely to remain unburnt in the cylinders, and find its way past the rings into the sump, contaminating the oil.
Other than that, it is all good. Feel free to idle as much as you like.

Top Bottom