High or Low Roof

Given the choice, would you prefer a high or low roof?

• High Roof

Votes: 427 77.9%
  • Low Roof

Votes: 121 22.1%

• Total voters

rb3232

Why get a complex sprinter if you don't want a high roof with doors to match????
Once you stand in the back of your van you won't settle for less.
I got the MEGA roof (I wasn't confident of the decision at the time) and I'm really glad I did.
Ross

Neil2

Neil2
Why get a complex sprinter if you don't want a high roof with doors to match????
Once you stand in the back of your van you won't settle for less.
I got the MEGA roof (I wasn't confident of the decision at the time) and I'm really glad I did.
Ross
I planned to use my Mega roof space for utilities but have only used it for storage. But . . . now my son is 6'2" so may have to make room for his head. :idunno:

I just got my high roof 2011 2500 144 2 weeks ago. I am 6'2" and fit perfectly. I personally wouldn't get a vehicle like a sprinter in a low roof but I also don't foresee too many height restrictions and I want to put a raised bed in the back with a seat and storage underneath. Just seems like the best use of space for a camper that can fit into a standard parking spot.

In regards to the short time frame, see if your local dealer can trade for a sprinter at another location (if there are any in striking distance). At least try and don't settle for a price that isn't under invoice. If they won't budge on the price ask them to come down on the price of the 6 year 125,000 mile warranty or throw in alloy wheels. This worked for me. I was emailing back and forth with 2 dealers for about 10 days trying to get the price as low as I could. I told them what I wanted to be out the door for with taxes, license, fees, extended warranty, and extra alloy wheels (I got the stock wheels as well to sell at a later date once the alloys are powder coated and set up with off road tires).

I am not a wheeler and dealer but it seemed to be way easier over the internet. And just remember at the end of the day, month or year, these guys want to sell another car even if they say they are not making much of a profit. There are always incentives for numbers for the dealers. And your contact at the dealer should want to find you what you want especially if they know you are talking to someone else.

Sorry I got a little carried away but I am so stoked on my Sprinter. I just can't wait until all the conversion phases are done in due time. Good luck on the process and finding what you want.

Jake
San Diego, CA

RSchleder

I can;t imagine owning any RV that I couldn't stand up in! Except for the teardrop trailer we owned for several years.

Boater

I voted high roof - intially it was against all my instincts as a kayaker used to using a roof rack, but when I came across a high roof van and checked it out I knew my instincts were wrong!

At your height standing might still be a bit of an issue, depending on climate you might get away with only insulating between the roof beams, you will have cold bridges but I reckon carpet lining will help. The main thing is the options it opens up.

My van was converted from a panel van for motorbike racing, the rear 2m has a false ceiling at about 1.3m forming a generous garage area for 2 bikes with checker plate flooring (well...) and plywood storage boxes over the wheel arches. There is a bulkhead in front of the garage, but only to 1.3m. In front of the bulkhead I have a built in sofa, full width (curl up bed or OK for a child - I have napped on it in the daytime) with heater and aux battery and storage under. Above the garage is the bed platform, with a board to pull out over the sofa to extend it a bit. Claustrophobic for some, especially if used with a full depth mattress but I get on fine up there with a thermarest - would easily sleep 2. In front of the sofa opposite the sliding door are some kitchen units (full size house ones) with a sink and hob (the lpg arrangement needs work and is currently disconnected and the setup uses a removeable pump with an external water carrier, which if you rig it up differently could be arranged inside for winter use). Over the cab the high roof area has a big shelf on which sits a TV, microwave and charging panel. It is a very simple DIY layout in the spirit of the professionally outfitted sports motorhomes / bike racing motorhomes and could be improved on in a lot of ways but it gives me a great open living space and somewhere to carry my kite buggy without completely dismantling it - which is great for going away to race weekends.
As for kayaking, I cut a hatch in the bulkhead and when I pull the passenger bench seat out (just 1 bolt for my type) I can fit an 18 foot sea kayak inside the van, my river running boats fit in the garage.

I don't know how big snow machines are, but maybe with a high top (LWB or XLWB) you could build a garage big enough to fit them in and ditch the trailer?

Have a look in the motorhomes section of the forum, there was a recent thread with some links to commercial outfitters who do this kind of thing, one of them I'm sure had photos of at least one snow machine in camper....

Jim

Slowerone

High roof. Low roof won't fit most parking structures or garages any way!!!
You might lose a little mpg but well worth it!!

I will be converting a 144" Cargo to a Luxury Family Hauler (Likely Chalmers Automotive)

www.chalmersautomotive.com

I need to "Hide" the Height of a 144" High Roof, 4X4

I am concerned, that given the short wheelbase and the 4" Lift (4X4) that this vehicle will look very top heavy!

Thinking of going with Brilliant Silver, and wondering if a Two Tone Paint Scheme (with Lower Paint Graphite Grey Metallic) will give the Visual Effect of a Shorter Vehicle?

Any other suggestions (i.e. Paint/Stripes/Ground Effects/Wheels...) on how to "lower" the vehicle visually?

Attachments

V37

V37
I prefer a low roof but because the 170 only comes in a high roof, that's what I have to get. I'm bummed.
Yes,...me too. I don't care for the high roof,..for center of gravity, balance, aesthetics, etc.,...and would have likely got a short roof 170WB. Of course, the Standard Roof is too short me to stand in (at 65"),...however, when I take delivery of my 2015 Sprinter this summer, it's going immediately to Sportsmobile for a penthouse, which when close, gives 70" of standing space,...and actually strengthens the roof. Another plus is, I want an awning,...but do not care for the extra 16 plus inches on a high roof Sprinter (high roof plus 5" awning). With a penthouse, I'd gain only 5" (with awning),...4 " with the PH,...significantly lower than the High Roof model. A 4x4 Standard Roof Sprinter is pretty tall as is,...that first step (without an electric slide out) is about 2'. I ordered mine with an electric step.

For a work van, my build is impractical. For a camper/town/road trip vehicle, it's a good match for me.

jme3505

2019 Gas Transit
when I take delivery of my 2015 Sprinter this summer, it's going immediately to Sportsmobile for a penthouse
Be sure to post some pictures of the penthouse roof on your 4x4. I haven't totally ruled it out. Thanks in advance.
Jon

draaronr

high roof for me, I have driven both a bunch, and honestly I prefer to exit the slider most times and at 6'1 its easier. I figured with the roof top ac i was doomed for height either way. I don't regret my choice and with the height it is the perfect height to create a constant height for towing the travel trailer.

Attachments

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
I had this same question when I was purchasing my van. I worried about this for a long time, thinking that the low top would be "sportier" (less a dry cleaner van), and also easier to manage in NYC streets. It was only when my wife, the voice of reason, said to me, "Sweetheart... it's a big, white van, no matter how you slice it". So I went with the high roof. I use it all the time, drive it in the city, park it, take the family out in it, pull a trailer, go to the beach. It's beautiful. And I can stand in it - a small thing to someone who doesn't have a high-top, but a big thing to those who do. In hindsight I'm very happy with my decision. Get a backup camera.

-Kenny C.
NYC

Rod E

Big Red Hightop
I bought an '06 140" pass high (not super high) with AC. I figured it was tall enough w/o the super high. I had 3 kids at the time of purchase, 5 now. My wife and I figured we would end up with sleeping kids in the car at times, with us needing to get a bite on the road. We figured right.

It's difficult enough to find a 9' drivethru. With the high and AC, I won't drive thru anything with a posted height below 8'6" after damaging the AC on a posted 8'4". :2cents:

Of course, if you can avoid parking garages and drivethrus, I see no reason why to get the high, and I'd go for the super high. Happy buying. :cheers:
I have a 2006 140" 10 Passenger hightop with roof air. With the roof air my van is 2" shy of 10 ft. I have only read that the interior height is 6' 2". I think I will measure it. What is your ceiling height?

surlyoldbill

High roof adds more room, stand-up ability, and gets essentially the same MPG. The ONLY downside is that extra height prevents you from entering SOME garages.

NevadaBlue

The height of the vehicle in respect to WIND is another issue. I realize that the vehicles are 'stabilized', but I have driven high profile vehicles TOO much in bad weather. I'm buying the standard height roof to minimize the impact of side winds and semi-truck turbulence, especially on icy roads.

D

Deleted member 50714

At 6 foot five, I went with the high roof. Gas mileage is surprisingly good. Handling is an excellent despite highwinds. See if your dealer can grab what you want from another dealership. Usually, they don't like doing so because I suspect it may cut into their margin.

Enjoy your Sprinter!

Bob 1.2

mcrox

Low roof. 1) It fits in my garage 2) I sometimes carry sea kayaks on top 3) I like the looks 4) My wife can still stand straight in it and, when camping, I prefer to stand outside 5) I got a fantastic deal on it... 2015 Crew 144 4cyl with good options, bought new from dealer on 8/31/16 (part of a special order of six last year that never got picked up). I've had 3 non-poptop Eurovans prior so this still seems huge.

sbiossat

At first, I wanted a low roof (curb appeal, parking garages) but then after realizing I couldn't fit into any garages in Chicago with either, I decided on a high roof... also, because I got a great deal on a semi-ugly blue 2015. I decided to do a matte color change to bring a more sporting look to the high roof, and am really happy with the results below. If you're worried about crosswinds, 2015 and newer have crosswind assist as standard, and really make it a mute point in my opinion.

Top Bottom