STOLEN DODGE SPRINTER / RV Sportsmobile

SaldsBasement

vehicle stolen 10.16.16 from Louisville KY, had KY plates.
2005 Dodge Sprinter, RV conversion
White, hightop; top vent; 19' length, had two solar panels perpendicularly adhered to roof. distinguishing characteristics - RV hook ups on side, rear and side windows, fixed back ladder, "Sportsmobile" written above windshield in front.

We did lots of custom work, interior has full kitchen... have images as needed. This was not only our car, but our sweat, savings and dreams for the future.

Thief was female, white, 20's-30's, thin, caught on tape, whereabouts unknown.

Cash reward for safe return

Reply to saldsbasement@gmail.com

Thank you.

surlyoldbill

It may not go far, most thieves just take a vehicle a short way, an hour or two drive, to a secluded spot and steal what they can of it's contents asap. Some try to sell it to an unsuspecting buyer who doesn't know it's stolen.

Keep an eye on local Craigslist for things that were in or attached to the van.

petem

Sorry to hear that. You might want to also post over on the SportsmobileForum site, perhaps with a front / side picture to help identify your van in case anyone spots it.

Any clues how they got past the SKREEM key immobilizer to start the van? Or did they tow it?

pfflyer

It may not go far, most thieves just take a vehicle a short way, an hour or two drive, to a secluded spot and steal what they can of it's contents asap. Some try to sell it to an unsuspecting buyer who doesn't know it's stolen.

Keep an eye on local Craigslist for things that were in or attached to the van.
Or use it in the commission of another crime then abandon it. It is popular around here to drive a stolen truck through a store front and several perps run in.

Any idea how she got it started or at T1N's that easy to steal?
Left parked with key available or Ex with a key??

T1N's aren't impossible, but to my knowledge it takes swapping in another module to bypass the immobilizer.

:cheers: vic

cahaak

They are hard to steal without the key, I think some information might be missing here. I'm also assuming that this was a properly insured vehicle. Best bet would be working with local law enforcement as this type of vehicle kind of stand out.

Chris

surlyoldbill

You need a dedicated chipped key or a platform tow truck to steal a Sprinter.
Until Salds provides more information to sake our curiosity, we can only speculate as to how it was stolen.

I speculate that the car thief was able to obtain the key, through subterfuge or burglary. In my area, residential burglaries often involve also stealing a car left at home with keys found in the house, and that car is used to haul the stolen items and sometimes used in later crimes because it can't be traced to the burglar (get away car for robbery, drive by shooting, smashing through a door or window to rob a closed business). You can be absolutely sure that criminals across the country share their brilliant ideas for committing crimes, maybe on some criminal chatroom website.

SaldsBasement

Couldn't figure out how to post pics, there are some here with descrip.
https://post.craigslist.org/manage/5833874032/kt6wc

The perp broke into my car and found a spare set that had fallen off my ring earlier that day, parked near by and saw the lights flash... unlocked, got in and drove away. Long and short she had the key. We have footage showing the whole thing.

Thanks for the suggestions. Cops not much help here, any reposts or forums out there, ideas welcome.

BrokerDon

BrokerDon
FYI you posted your ADMINISTRATOR link to your Craigslist add... So anybody can change it. 8-(

If you have a valuables you want to be able to track, consider an ODB port device like this which uses the 3G cellular network to transmit its location: https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-AU...it-20&linkId=1e54f039c6f2f004d2310e1bdfd7933b

... and / or a separate GPS tracker like the SPOT Trace which transmits it's locations via SATELLITE. The SPOT is better for poor cellular coverage areas... But useless without a clear view of the sky (inside a garage, under thick tree canopy, etc.)

Best to have BOTH cellular AND satellite tracking... but its costs more.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You need a dedicated chipped key or a platform tow truck to steal a Sprinter.
T1N Sprinters can be stolen in about 1 minute if the thief carries the correct parts with him.

It's uncommon in the US, but in the UK (where Sprinters are far more common), Sprinter-specific thieves-for-parts were so-equipped.

--dick

Ovrlnd_Trvlr

On A Journey
So sorry for your loss. I also had my traveling vehicle stolen this spring, same story, it was my "sweat, savings and dreams for the future" also.

Very similar way of theft also. I am going to have a Ravelco security system installed in my new vehicle.....

Again, sorry for the loss. "May the fleas of 1000 camels infest the armpits of the perpetrator!"

Top Bottom