Synthetic oil

sailquik

BAK61,
The Mercedes Benz BEVO (listed in your Operator's Manual that normally comes in the glove
box in a new Sprinter) suggests there are very few non-synthetic motor oils that will work in
a Sprinter and they recommend a shorter (< 10,000 miles) oil change interval if you do not use
a full synthetic oil.

If you want to use the "most recommended" oils (and what knowledgeable dealer service
shops use) you need to get the following FULL Synthetic oils for use in your Sprinter.

If you have an '02-'06 MB/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter T1N with the inline 5 cylinder 2.7 liter
diesel engine (OM-612 and OM-647) the absolute best oil is:
Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula
This oil Meets or exceeds MB BEVO 229.5

If you have a later '07-'12 MB/Dodge/Freightliner NCV3 Sprinter with the 3.0 liter V6 (OM-642)
engine the best oil is:
Mobil 1 5W-40 ESP Formula M (Emissions Systems Protection). This is a low ash oil specially
formulated for use in diesel engines that use the Diesel Particulate Filter.
This oil Meets or exceeds MB BEVO 229.51

The latest Sprinter V6 NCV3's also have the exhaust after treatment and need to have the
DEF tank filled about every 10k miles.

If you are thinking of using regular non-synthetic oil I tink most here on the forum would strongly recommend against doing so.
Roger

Last edited:

BAK61

I am a believer of synthetic oil.
AMSOIL is my preferred choice
I'll wait til I get the van to really research this

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I am a believer of synthetic oil.
AMSOIL is my preferred choice
I'll wait til I get the van to really research this
Synthetic oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone use synth. in their rig ?

Which brand ?

That you're wondering if conventional, non-synthetic engine oil is common - or even ok - for a new Sprinter engine indicates you have your work cut out for you.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com

is an extranet repository for MB's records of "who complies with our fluid specifications," as well as the physical properties required to "pass the test."

I would start with the latest owners manual available for Sprinters. There are PDFs in NCV3 database as well as here: http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/owners/manuals

As you read, you'll see specifications like MB229.51. 229.51 is defined on bevo.mercedes-benz.com.

-Jon

PS: I'm assuming that you want the most out of your Sprinter and that you're willing to do the homework to either DIY or at least trust, but verify your dealership's work.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
snip....

If you have a later '07-'12 MB/Dodge/Freightliner NCV3 Sprinter with the 3.0 liter V6 (OM-642)
engine the best oil is:
Mobil 1 5W-40 ESP Formula M (Emissions Systems Protection). This is a low ash oil specially
formulated for use in diesel engines that use the Diesel Particulate Filter.
This oil Meets or exceeds MB BEVO 229.51

The latest Sprinter V6 NCV3's also have the exhaust after treatment and need to have the
DEF tank filled about every 10k miles.

If you are thinking of using regular non-synthetic oil I tink most here on the forum would strongly recommend against doing so.
Roger
I'm not sure how you define the "best oil", but, at the risk of starting yet another 'oil war' :smilewink: , Valvoline SynPower MST 5W-40 VV966, also meets or exceeds MB BEVO 229.51

You are almost certainly correct in saying that the Mobil product is the most commonly used in NCV3 Sprinter diesels that have the correct spec oil in the sump.

I agree 100% with your last statement. :thumbup:

BAK61

I do have a lot of research to do, but I'm cool with that. I'd rather research something to death than make an impulse (wrong) decision.
i still have to make it to one of the big shows to see the RVs in person, and somehow take a test drive.
We love the layout of the LV products, and the reviews are very high.
When we started researching Class Bs, we were sure Roadtrek was the way to go. We are amazed how LV can squeeze a studio apartment into a Sprinter van.
Hope to see you all on the road someday. B

first I need to sell my house

Top Bottom