NCV3 - Engine Cover Plate/Bushing Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
NCV3 - Engine Cover Plate/Bushing Mount Repair

Sprinter-Source users that have a diesel-equipped NCV3 have posted, asking about the fuel filter.

Several users have changed their fuel filter, but I don't recall any pictures of the fuel filter as of this writing. I do recall people asking after its location after verbal descriptions like "in the 'v'" or "under the cover." The location posting just answers the question with pictures.

I posted the location in another thread here.

In that posting, I mentioned breaking a bushing (mount). The bushing is mounted on a spindle which is part of the molded plastic creating the driver's side section of a three piece engine cover.

First let's start with the middle section - the plate - that I used to snap my bushing.

The bushings are at the back of the engine compartment and they fit into these notches.

RemovedEngineCover_pic.jpg

Here's the one I didn't break (the fuel filter's blurry and in the lower left hand corner). If you see a deformation, it's a factory deformation.

Passenger_side_RearBushing_pic.jpg

Here's where the other bushing mount was before I snapped it off.

DriverSideRearBushingSnap_pic.jpg

Under that plate (A) is a rubber bumper (B) (see the last picture). The rubber thick; like more than an inch thick and "floats" over something, probably the valve cover. I don't know for sure because I didn't want to remove it to look under it.

My remedial actions: I elected to drive a screw through the bushing and I used some epoxy on the fracture too.

The screw is a number 6 brass wood screw, one (1) inch long.

In its final position, the screw protudes past the bushing mount by a 3/8ths of an inch or so. I believe I pentrated the rubber bumper (B) under the plate (A), but I do not believe there was enough brass reveal to threaten anything on the other side of the bumper. I believe this makes for a decent anchor to the bushing mount.

(A) is the plate
(B) is the bumper

This picture was taken during a test fit. In the end, the screw is fully seated, flush with the top of the bushing.

DriverSideRearBushingHackRepair.jpg

I had some Krytox - long story, unrelated to this posting - so I used it to lube both bushings. I used it to reduce stress on the screw and epoxy during reassembly. Any lube would probably work. Krytox is inert - harms no substance, rubber or otherwise - and an excellent assembly lube for this application.

The bushings didn't snag on the notches during reassembly, thanks to the Krytox, but I believe the lack of lube on the bushings, along with me not being familiar with removing this section of the NCV3 v6 diesel engine cover sealed the fate of the one broken bushing mount.

Water would probably be a fine lube in this case, just wet the notches. Meguiars #40 rubber/vinyl conditioner's more readily available than Krytox and also rubber friendly.

If the same thing happens to you, I hope this posting helps.

-Jon

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Last time I saw a tube of Krytox was in a clean room environment. Is that where you got yours?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Krytox is the manufacturer's prescribed lube for Volkswagen EOS weather seals.

A friend bought an EOS a few months after I ordered my Sprinter.

Since I was on a research roll (and role), I contributed to the research phase of her purchase and found infomation about leaking weather seals and VW prescribed preventative maintenance measures involving the VW part number G 052 172 A1.

The VW part number is G 052 172 A1 is actually just 100 ml (3.3 oz) of Krytox GPL105. As a present when she took delivery of the vehicle, I ordered some for her and some just to have around in case it would come in handy.

-Jon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom