Buying a used Sprinter with high miles

ubergeek

Hi,
As I look for a used Sprinter, I see quite a few 2007-2008 with high miles (100-150K miles).
While I understand that its diesel engin is quite durable, I wonder if other components of vehicles are all made to hold up.
Am I better off spending 5K more to buy a van with low miles? (50K)

If you're financing I'd look at what the extra $5,000 costs you per month. Repair costs between $500.00 - $1000.00 per occurance are not unusual to have done professionally. Unless you do your own repairs a couple incidents of repair a year can add up. Of course buying low mileage is no guarantee you won't have problems. One of my worst Dodge vans was a low mileage one with tow package that I believe sat around outside too much between uses in the northeast.

I bought my 2004 Sprinter with 172,000 miles and no repair records because I thought "It's a diesel and a Mercedes right?". That was maybe optimistic. Off the top of my little pointy head, at 210,000 miles now I have replaced the water pump, 5 glow plugs, glow plug module (modified it actually), a serpentine belt, and should replace my O2 sensor (cleaning it seems to be working). I have injector leakage (black death) which I am watching with crossed fingers for financial reasons (off work, medical recovery). Even given that list I'm very happy with my Sprinter as it has been very reliable. Knocking wood furiously. :cheers: Good luck. vic

edit: Oops. I forgot that I needed new rear brake pads and rotors about 200,000 miles. Looks like front pads were changed. Will most likely need new front rotors next pad change.

Last edited:

VanGo

Just as I figured, Aqua, thanks.

I have no contacts on mechanics, outside the local MB dealership, available to directly verify condition of the vehicle here in Phoenix. I'm pulling together various posts to compile a checklist for the vehicle I'm looking at (unless this has already been done somewhere?), and hoping the maintenance records provided by the seller are complete. Looking at turbo-resonator, Black Death, RSN, rust, Konis, anti-sway bar, etc....

sssprinters

If you're financing I'd look at what the extra $5,000 costs you per month. Repair costs between $500.00 - $1000.00 per occurance are not unusual to have done professionally. Unless you do your own repairs a couple incidents of repair a year can add up. Of course buying low mileage is no guarantee you won't have problems. One of my worst Dodge vans was a low mileage one with tow package that I believe sat around outside too much between uses in the northeast.

I bought my 2004 Sprinter with 172,000 miles and no repair records because I thought "It's a diesel and a Mercedes right?". That was maybe optimistic. Off the top of my little pointy head, at 210,000 miles now I have replaced the water pump, 5 glow plugs, glow plug module (modified it actually), a serpentine belt, and should replace my O2 sensor (cleaning it seems to be working). I have injector leakage (black death) which I am watching with crossed fingers for financial reasons (off work, medical recovery). Even given that list I'm very happy with my Sprinter as it has been very reliable. Knocking wood furiously. :cheers: Good luck. vic
What is the situation with injector leaking (black death)? my 2003 may have a slight leak also

johnschroader

regular fellow
I'll chime in here too, though I'm still testing the waters. I bought an '02 with 220K miles this summer. Have had excellent luck with old MB diesels (I'm polishing up my mechanical skills with the help of a forum). I love my Sprinter, but it is a bit scary to trust. Seems to me that a simple problem can leave you stranded with no help in sight. I recently purchased a DAD and hope that will help me to feel less vunerable. Haven't managed to get it communicating with my laptop yet. So ---- to sum up my take on driving a high milage Sprinter --- it's a dream to drive but that dream may become a nightmare. My next personal improvement project is to learn how to comprehend all the wacky electronics on this dream ship. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad ------------

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I purchased a 2006 with 297000 miles. The carfax showed that it aquired all the mileage in 18 months. Doing the math, this rig could not have done that mileage in the city.
Only major repair was the harmonic balancer came off after about 4000 miles and I have had one injector twice. The back brakes were original.
Doesn't burn oil and drives great. Saved about $8000 over a lower mileage rig and found a rather unique model.

What is the situation with injector leaking (black death)? my 2003 may have a slight leak also
The financial situation is aggravating, but I'm certain that isn't what you are asking.

Here goes:

Last Spring I smelled some burn odor so I pulled the injector cover and found gooey black stuff on the inside surface of the cover and brown deposit around the #3 injector. I immediately called Doktor A because he is the only one I considered for the repair. He had me check that the hold down bolts were not broken by putting reasonable torque on them, and had me test for leakage with a soap/water mixture. The cold engine looked like a Mr. Bubble commercial. I planned to get to him for repairs.

SoapSuds.jpg

I cleaned the inside of the cover with Orange Hand Cleaner, but then decided not to re-install it. My theory is that it traps the exhaust gases inside and acts like an oven to bake them on. Hence Black Death. I took tin foil and double wrapped all the injector connectors and some other components to protect them from getting gooed up and needing cleaning. I then tented the area that the injector cover fits over with a large piece of tin foil. The front of the tent is as tight as I can make it using tin foil tabs over fuel lines, etc. The back section is less tight. I figured that would allow fumes to escape and not bake everything on. This was all in anticipation of getting to Andy fairly quickly. A side benefit of the tinfoil tent is that the smells in the cabin went away.

One thing led to another and we couldn't schedule the work. Finally last Fall I figured we'd finally connect, but the I found I needed total hip replacement surgery $$$. So-o-o, I've been watching under the tinfoil tent. So far everything looks pretty good, fingers crossed. There is no build up of heavy gunk anywhere. I did a bubble test on the hot engine a bit ago and it seems the leak pretty much closes up when the engine is up to temperature?

I'm really not thrilled about putting this repair off, but it's not something I want tackle myself. I'm very concerned about problems during the procedure and the surface of the seal face. I may have 2 leaking injectors and at 213,000 miles if they are pulled should be replaced with new ones as long as out. I will say that based upon this one time experience, if you find injector leakage, as long as the hold down bolt is intact you don't need to panic and can wait a bit to schedule the repair with a mechanic of choice. Then again, I may be just pushing my luck. :idunno: Good luck. vic

Last edited:

punter

The financial situation is aggravating, but I'm certain that isn't what you are asking.

Here goes:

Last Spring I smelled some burn odor so I pulled the injector cover and found gooey black stuff on the inside surface of the cover and brown deposit around the #3 injector. I immediately called Doktor A because he is the only one I considered for the repair. He had me check that the hold down bolts were not broken by putting reasonable torque on them, and had me test for leakage with a soap/water mixture. The cold engine looked like a Mr. Bubble commercial. I planned to get to him for repairs.

View attachment 29390

I cleaned the inside of the cover with Orange Hand Cleaner, but then decided not to re-install it. My theory is that it traps the exhaust gases inside and acts like an oven to bake them on. Hence Black Death. I took tin foil and double wrapped all the injector connectors and some other components to protect them from getting gooed up and needing cleaning. I then tented the area that the injector cover fits over with a large piece of tin foil. The front of the tent is as tight as I can make it using tin foil tabs over fuel lines, etc. The back section is less tight. I figured that would allow fumes to escape and not bake everything on. This was all in anticipation of getting to Andy fairly quickly. A side benefit of the tinfoil tent is that the smells in the cabin went away.

One thing led to another and we couldn't schedule the work. Finally last Fall I figured we'd finally connect, but the I found I needed total hip replacement surgery $$$. So-o-o, I've been watching under the tinfoil tent. So far everything looks pretty good, fingers crossed. There is no build up of heavy gunk anywhere. I did a bubble test on the hot engine a bit ago and it seems the leak pretty much closes up when the engine is up to temperature?

I'm really not thrilled about putting this repair off, but it's not something I want tackle myself. I'm very concerned about problems during the procedure and the surface of the seal face. I may have 2 leaking injectors and at 213,000 miles if they are pulled should be replaced with new ones as long as out. I will say that based upon this one time experience, if you find injector leakage, as long as the hold down bolt is intact you don't need to panic and can wait a bit to schedule the repair with a mechanic of choice. Then again, I may be just pushing my luck. :idunno: Good luck. vic

Sorry to hear about the surgery. It sounds extremely unpleasant.

Sorry to hear about the surgery. It sounds extremely unpleasant.

Oh no! Don't get me wrong. The surgery went wonderfully. I was literally walking and doing stairs the day after surgery. I was off pain meds and drove myself to get my staples removed from the incision 8 days after the surgery and came out from the appointment with a cane I didn't need because the doctor told me repeatedly, "You're walking better than anyone would expect. Do anything you want within the restrictions, but don't fall". I figured I'd better carry the cane. Besides it helped keep people from bumping into me.

After surgery you need to be certain that the hip doesn't pop out of place until your muscles, tendons, and ligaments are strong enough to keep it where it belongs. Actually the reason I could drive so soon was that the Sprinter let me get aboard and positioned for driving without breaking the movement restriction rules. There's a new advertising slogan, Sprinter... the old guys ride. :thumbup:

I feel great. I'm walking great without a limp (my wife says.... unless I get tired). The restrictions on movements keep me off from my maintenance job for over 3 months. No bending at the waist more than 90 degrees, no squatting, etc. No pay on top of the costs associated with the surgery is the only real problem.

That said, we decided to find the money for going to Florida so don't feel too bad for me. The hard working ant would get the Sprinter fixed... I guess I'm a grasshopper. I'm doing just fine. Thanks for your concern. Sorry to go on so. vic

Last edited:

Chandlerazman

Vic, just keep the ole' tin foil in check and enjoy your time in Fl. Sometimes, a mind relieving vacation is the best thing to spend your money on. There's nothing wrong with enjoying your time off. Take care of yourself!

punter

Oh no! Don't get me wrong. The surgery went wonderfully. I was literally walking and doing stairs the day after surgery. I was off pain meds and drove myself to get my staples removed from the incision 8 days after the surgery and came out from the appointment with a cane I didn't need because the doctor told me repeatedly, "You're walking better than anyone would expect. Do anything you want within the restrictions, but don't fall". I figured I'd better carry the cane. Besides it helped keep people from bumping into me.

After surgery you need to be certain that the hip doesn't pop out of place until your muscles, tendons, and ligaments are strong enough to keep it where it belongs. Actually the reason I could drive so soon was that the Sprinter let me get aboard and positioned for driving without breaking the movement restriction rules. There's a new advertising slogan, Sprinter... the old guys ride. :thumbup:

I feel great. I'm walking great without a limp (my wife says.... unless I get tired). The restrictions on movements keep me off from my maintenance job for over 3 months. No bending at the waist more than 90 degrees, no squatting, etc. No pay on top of the costs associated with the surgery is the only real problem.

That said, we decided to find the money for going to Florida so don't feel too bad for me. The hard working ant would get the Sprinter fixed... I guess I'm a grasshopper. I'm doing just fine. Thanks for your concern. Sorry to go on so. vic

Glad to hear it!

You are right about Florida too. I cannot afford it either but I think I need to spend a few days down there. Clean air, clean water, sunshine. beats Norfolk.

ebsprintin

surviving member
At the beginning of 2010 I passed the 200,000 mile mark. For two months I was down for a front end rebuild, rear axle replacement, transmission rebuild, and egr and swirl valve replacement. Your $5000 dollars would have been fully consumed by week five. From 150-200K miles on the odometer I was towed three times. Since then I've been stranded one more time and another time had to limp home with my electrical system tied into my solar panels for electrical power, so I could spend more money on an alternator. One way or the other, if you have the right kind of luck, you'll find a way to spend that $5000.

eb

ubergeek

Thanks. I will stay away from ones w/ high miles and either buy a new or one w/ less than 50K miles...

At the beginning of 2010 I passed the 200,000 mile mark. For two months I was down for a front end rebuild, rear axle replacement, transmission rebuild, and egr and swirl valve replacement. Your $5000 dollars would have been fully consumed by week five. From 150-200K miles on the odometer I was towed three times. Since then I've been stranded one more time and another time had to limp home with my electrical system tied into my solar panels for electrical power, so I could spend more money on an alternator. One way or the other, if you have the right kind of luck, you'll find a way to spend that $5000.

eb

Top Bottom