Best Custom Conversion Company?

dynaco1

It's worth spending time and money to visit your preferred up-fitter(s) to preview their other work in-progress (other people's vans in various stages of completion).

SprinterOO5

I called creativemobileinteriors today.. they said prices to convert sprinter van into camper start from 15k and up.. and there is a line so one have to wait 4 month to begin work

Mittens

Hi. I saw a recent video of a Sportsmobile walk through by a salesperson. It was for a 4x4 low roof. He said it would run about $100k. Do you think that would be the price of the Sportsmobile conversion only? (So the final price is the cost of the van PLUS 100K?) Or the van plus the conversion? I'm not sure how SPortsmobile works. Thank you. MTNS

Mrdi

Sportsmobile has new vans on-site
That $100k would be inclusive
they have 3 locations, Fresno CA, Texas, Ohio?.
Go visit!!

Last edited:

WAMTB

I called creativemobileinteriors today.. they said prices to convert sprinter van into camper start from 15k and up.. and there is a line so one have to wait 4 month to begin work
4 months is not bad. Van Specialties quoted a year last March. This March they added 30 - 60 days to it, currently scheduled for drop off at 75 days. I'm hoping their quality makes it worthwhile.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Outside van is really high quality, as is advanced RV. For us, anyway, the Outside vans were just too industrial on the inside. But, IMO, they're higher quality than Sportsmobile (who is doing our 4x4 build). SMB's interior options means you can get any feel you want on the inside. The costs with Outside van to do the same went up quite a bit. We're doing their interweave fabric + light browns and grays as we want the interior bright and open feeling. We love westy's and the semi-nautical feeling they have, and the current SMB's feel a lot like that. The outside vans felt more like industrial gear haulers and wasn't stoked on the metal cabinets since you can't modify them much like you can with wood. If you like Outside van's style, you can't go wrong with them.

One of the great things about SMB (and maybe others do this, too), is that you can custom order your van through SMB with the option to finance the van+build on a single RV loan. 2K downpayment to hold your spot in their line, pre-approval just before the build with 10% down to the lender, and off you go. 15 year loan around 5% interest. I can't imagine having 130K tied up in an asset that is depreciating, so this worked out perfect for us.

We toured the SMB Fresno facility, and were happy with the the details. We also toured the Earthroamer facility, and I feel like that's the other end of the spectrum from a price and quality standpoint. The wiring looms those things have is a work of art. Advanced RV is up there with their interior builds, but IMO, are in a whole different price league compared to SMB. For us, the design freedom, cost, and interior style made SMB an easy decision. But, I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the major builders out there.

I'll throw out My Tourig as another builder. Spoke with these guys extensively on the phone, and they're a great group of guys. Would not hesitate to spend money with them. They're likely the shop we'll go to for modifications.

http://www.mytourig.com/custom-work/

hitek79

Outside van is really high quality, as is advanced RV. For us, anyway, the Outside vans were just too industrial on the inside. But, IMO, they're higher quality than Sportsmobile (who is doing our 4x4 build). SMB's interior options means you can get any feel you want on the inside. The costs with Outside van to do the same went up quite a bit. We're doing their interweave fabric + light browns and grays as we want the interior bright and open feeling. We love westy's and the semi-nautical feeling they have, and the current SMB's feel a lot like that. The outside vans felt more like industrial gear haulers and wasn't stoked on the metal cabinets since you can't modify them much like you can with wood. If you like Outside van's style, you can't go wrong with them.

One of the great things about SMB (and maybe others do this, too), is that you can custom order your van through SMB with the option to finance the van+build on a single RV loan. 2K downpayment to hold your spot in their line, pre-approval just before the build with 10% down to the lender, and off you go. 15 year loan around 5% interest. I can't imagine having 130K tied up in an asset that is depreciating, so this worked out perfect for us.

We toured the SMB Fresno facility, and were happy with the the details. We also toured the Earthroamer facility, and I feel like that's the other end of the spectrum from a price and quality standpoint. The wiring looms those things have is a work of art. Advanced RV is up there with their interior builds, but IMO, are in a whole different price league compared to SMB. For us, the design freedom, cost, and interior style made SMB an easy decision. But, I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the major builders out there.

I'll throw out My Tourig as another builder. Spoke with these guys extensively on the phone, and they're a great group of guys. Would not hesitate to spend money with them. They're likely the shop we'll go to for modifications.

http://www.mytourig.com/custom-work/
Just picked up a high top crew. Tourig is somewhat close to me, but I've heard they are as expensive for more than Outside van. The work does look top notch though. I wish they showed full builds though on the website.

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
If you like looking at van stuff check out https://www.instagram.com/cavevan/ or the website at CaveVan.com

I built custom cars, trucks and motorcycles for shows/marketing/magazines for years and then built my baby daughter a VW Campervan, which turned into building custom VW Campervans for other people. That has led to more and more custom Sprinter builds. I'm definitely still a boutique builder but growing fast.

We are just south of Denver, Co.

Mittens

I wonder how that works? Is SPORTSMOBILE the lender or do they just help with the financing process? Is Mercedes the lender for van and "uplifting"? Or an outside bank?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
SMB buys the van that we spec, and essentially sells us a complete Class B RV. I think it's Bank of the West that they refer us to for financing. But, you could use any lender you want. They won't start the interior build without a pre-approval in place, however.

I think the only reason they're able to do it that way is that they know they can resell the van without losing any money.

DieselFumes

2015 4x4 2500 170 Crew
Can anybody recommend shops in the SoCal area? I am in San Diego but willing to travel.
Check out the list and map on my site - http://sprintervanusa.com/sprinter-van-conversion-companies/

There's four between San Diego and Santa Barbara that I know of. Might be more. Don't limit yourself though. If you're looking for a conversion, you'll need to find a company that fits your style. Luckily there are plenty up and down the West coast.

Top Bottom