Sprinter 4x4 Wheels

Here they are....Duratrac 265/70/17's on the Method 17x7.5's.

The tires were ordered from Tire Rack and showed up in 4 days as promised. They looked like 35" swampers until i got them close to the Sprinter. They do look cooler (bigger, taller, wider) in real life than the pictures show. And while I like a big tire just as much as the next guy, I don't think I'd want to go any bigger from a drivability standpoint. That said, Method did a good job with the offset. With the stock alloys, there was 3/4" between the sidewall and the shock. Now, I have about 5/8" on both R and L sides (See photo).

Turning to the lock on both R and L is a breeze....No clearance issues whatsoever.

Clearance between the tire and the closest part of the wheel well ranges from 2-3" on the front and rear of the well on both the front and rear tires. While there is easily room in the wells for something 33", IMO, the clearance to the shock is going to be the limiting factor, unless you find a different offset. (And these already stick out just enough that I don't think I'd want them any wider.)

If you're considering going bigger than these and want more photos or dimensions to help with fitment, PM me.

Regarding price/availability, they were $2100 delivered (Including the little black caps for the lugs...Easier than painting.) It would have been closer to $2k if I would have ordered them from Discount Tire or if Tire Rack would have had a set in a closer warehouse. Tire Rack said that they were the last set in stock and Discount Tire didn't have any. The guys at Method said that they are waiting for a shipment and that the ETA was Sept/Oct. For $100, I wasn't about to wait.

Thanks so much to all who contribute to this site. I'm in your debt and excited to start the build.

Attachments

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Sprinter 4x4 Wheels, make them from stock

Nice wheel choice Abe, looks like they put them on upside down though...

There will likely be lots of discussion about wheels and tires for the Sprinter 4x4's. I ordered the Alloy Wheels with 235 65 16 tires. For me however, these don't look like a good match. The 6.5J x 16 Alloy Wheel seems to be the standard wheel for Cooper Mini's,...thus, a Sprinter on Mini wheels.

Wonder if the 20-inch AMG twin 5-spoke wheels on the G63 would fit of the Sprinter 4x4? The size might be a good visual match.

I'd expect there will be an explosion of new accessories when the Sprinter 4x4's go into full production. In the meantime, owners looking for the perfect accessories will have to pioneer various configurations.
Lots of companies do this...

We can help you achieve that custom look or get the most from your power level by allowing you to run larger tires for better traction for drag strip or road course performance. Perhaps you would like to maintain a "sleeper" look on your muscle car by running stock appearing wheels but want the benefit of a wider tire? We can alter your stock style wheels to allow much wider rubber without sacrificing the stock appearance of your factory wheels. Running wider tires on too narrow a rim results in lost contact patch and improper wear. Our widening process will eliminate this concern completely.
Process Summary:

When widening we use a band of material of the width requested, so no second donor wheel is required. On aluminum wheels we V-Groove and hand tig each seam for maximum penetration. Steel wheels are stick welded and tig welded on opposite sides.

Most wheels are widened to the inside of the vehicle. This will increase your backspace by the same amount so be sure of your clearance. *Please double check your measurements, we give you what you ask for!*
Notice:

All modified wheels will run true when done and will balance out. Wheels with severe run out or damage may be rejected.
Actual gain on wheel widening will be minus 1/16 of an inch due to loss of material for separation cut.
Please do not sand blast wheels before modifications because it can contaminate the welds.
Aluminum Wheels are V-grooved and hand tig welded on both sides of all seams. Visible weld beads can be sanded smooth for an additional fee.
Steel Wheels are stick and tig welded on the opposite side then sanded. They can be either widened to the front or the back of the rim, and the centers can be moved for a change in offset.
If your wheels are found to have minor damage or runout requiring any repairs prior to modifications, there may be an additional charge for this. We call first before any work is done however.
Replica wheels tend to have a higher rate of rejection due to excessive runout. Be aware that wheels purchased sight unseen is still a buyer beware situation.
If you are drop shipping from another source please fax this form to us at (734) 779-1345 and include on it your supplier's name.
Prices depend upon the size of the rim and the amount being added or removed.
For quotes on pricing or any questions please call (734) 779-1303 or e-mail James@weldcraftwheels.com *(Please include "wheels" in the subject line of the e-mail)*.

Last edited:
I Picked up my 4x4 Sprinter from Sportsmobile West on July 7th. It was the first of the 4x4's out the factory besides their demo van. I've been driving it for a couple of weeks now, including a road trip over the Sierras and down 395 to the White Mountains east of Bishop. That trip included 30 miles of rocky dirt roads up to 11,300' elevation. It's been great to drive and other than some issues with Sportsmobile on build quality, I love it.

I worked with America's Tire on the tire and wheel setup and they ordered two different tire sizes for me to see what fit best. After trying to fit 275/70/17 BFG All Terrain TA KO2 tires, I ended up installing the slightly smaller 265/70/17 BFG All Terrain TA KO2 tires with the 17"x 8" Moto Metal 970's. The 275's touched the mud flaps in the front with the wheels turned and would potentially touch the lower front edge of the fender as well. Clearance from the shocks (which I thought would be the potential trouble spot) was fine. While the mud flaps could have been trimmed easily for clearance, the front lower fender section which is plastic would be a challenge. I didn't want to start cutting into my beautiful new van for another 1/2" diameter so I went with the smaller tire size (which is still plenty big). I knew the 265/70/17 would fit because that's what Sportsmobile installed on their demo van and also two of the other vans in the factory when I picked up my van.

The nice thing about the BFG KO2's is they ride great and I don't notice any increase in tire noise from the stock tires I drove for the first 200 miles. The 10 ply tires are inflated to 45 psi in the front and 70 psi in the rear. If the TPMS readout is to be believed, those pressures fluctuate +- 5 psi with temperature and altitude. But that sounds like a lot to me. I'm posting mpg information on the 4x4 Sprinter MPG page.

I looked at both the Methods and Moto Metals and picked the MM's with the black and machined finish. I think that style looks a little classier and will still look good after the all black fad goes out of fashion (IMHO). I was even able to buy them for $135 each! You can see photos of the van on my Flickr page:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/mikerayphotos/Ei87Xu

DOTWORKZ

abe and mike

what did you do with the 17" spare ?

looks like they should fit underneath ?

will you rotate the spare into the maintenance cycle?

what was the labor around the TPMS for each

many thanks!!

derekhski

well although this topic seems beaten to death i was wondering if anyone has tried these wheels
http://www.eurocampers.com/Warrior-375-16-Alloy-Wheel-for-2007--2015-Sprinter-2500_p_932.html
they are 6.5" width and i have to agree anything over 255 is asking for insurance problems
Hey, Raisin. I have the warrior rims on my little 118", got them thru American Tire for a great deal, plus the installation free, rotations free and other perks that occur when you buy thru a shop. (mine is not a 4x4)...

They do I think stick out just a little wider than the stock Alloys or Steels, or its the tire size that I went to? Derek

Attachments

DOTWORKZ,

I left the spare alone. I looked today and there's room under there for both the increased diameter and width of the 265/17's. The increased width may require a slight/simple modification to the tray and hanger that the wheel sits on.

With the rest of the build ahead of me, I will wait to deal with getting a 17" spare. I may just get a cheap stock 16" steely and match the tire diameter, since it will only be used in the event of a puncture or the like.

The TPM was $248 for all 4 from Tire Rack, installed for free. The paperwork from TR mentions that the sensor's MAY have to be "initialized/registered" with the dealer before they'll work, but mine seem to work just fine without doing anything.

Mike....The rig looks great. I'm jealous that yours is all done. Enjoy.

DOTWORKZ

DOTWORKZ,

I left the spare alone. I looked today and there's room under there for both the increased diameter and width of the 265/17's. The increased width may require a slight/simple modification to the tray and hanger that the wheel sits on.

With the rest of the build ahead of me, I will wait to deal with getting a 17" spare. I may just get a cheap stock 16" steely and match the tire diameter, since it will only be used in the event of a puncture or the like.

The TPM was $248 for all 4 from Tire Rack, installed for free. The paperwork from TR mentions that the sensor's MAY have to be "initialized/registered" with the dealer before they'll work, but mine seem to work just fine without doing anything.

Mike....The rig looks great. I'm jealous that yours is all done. Enjoy.

thanks Abe ! we should PM since i have the same exact rig and likely in the same build out trajectory ... full camper, shower,3 bed , 2 ex capt chairs , DIY w pro help. based in SD ca etc

i was thinking big diameter steely spare too no rotation seq

will

DrDeYates

Thanks Mike for All.. I am trying the 285/70/17 BFG AT KO2's on Mandrus Atlas Rims.17"x7.5 .58mm offset.Might have to Cut some..

DrDeYates

I have purchased thru America's Tire,(Discount Tire),(4), 285/70/17 BFG AT KO'2's, Mandrus Atlas Blk. Rims 17"x7.5 ,TPMs's(OEM) With certs , mounted balanced, etc. Under 2k,installed.Should be here and installed on my 2015 4x4 ,Low Roof BLK,144" Sprinter in about a week or more..Will update ASAP..Might have to do a little plastic cutting..

Dr. D,

Nice looking wheel. I, too, am looking forward to seeing how the Atlas and (almost) 33" will look. Waiting for your pics!

FatChance

I have purchased thru America's Tire,(Discount Tire),(4), 285/70/17 BFG AT KO'2's, Mandrus Atlas Blk. Rims 17"x7.5 ,TPMs's(OEM) With certs , mounted balanced, etc. Under 2k,installed.Should be here and installed on my 2015 4x4 ,Low Roof BLK,144" Sprinter in about a week or more..Will update ASAP..Might have to do a little plastic cutting..

DrDeYates,

Look forward to seeing the wheel + tire combination on the low roof, 4x4, 144, thanks in advance :popcorn:

FatChance

Please keep us posted. I did some scale mockups and that size is for sure going to require some plastic cutting! Carry on!

Grey

I am new to the forum and have a 4x4 on order and think the Bfg AT KO2 265/75r16 is with out a doubt the tire and size and the 6.5" rim wont work so I am looking into having rims made or stock rim modified at Stockton wheels ( http://www.stocktonwheel.com/index.html) has anybody tried them or know the cost?

Hello all I just picked up a set of black method 17's for my 2016 sprinter high top 144" 4X4. I will post pictures of the van before and after once I get them on later this week. I went with the DuraTrack 265 70 17's.
The Method wheels get a A++ for looks and build quality!

Hello all I just picked up a set of black method 17's for my 2016 sprinter high top 144" 4X4. I will post pictures of the van before and after once I get them on later this week. I went with the DuraTrack 265 70 17's.
The Method wheels get a A++ for looks and build quality!
Nice! This is my planned setup too. Can't wait for pics!

Sorry had to take this out for a camp trip as soon as I got this. I went with the Method wheels, 17" and the Good year duratrack tires. These are 265/70/17 and drive wonderful and have plenty of clearance. I will post sone better photos and side by side comparisons of the new wheels next to the stock aluminum wheels. I have to say this literally when from looking like an oversized soccer mom mobile to fairly competent looking 4x4. I am a HUGE fan of the new wheels. Money well spent! Thanks for all the "Collective" knowledge here.... saved me a lot of math!

Attachments

DrDeYates

I have installed 285/70/17 All- Terrain BFG,ko2's with Mandrus Atlas 6 rims..Americas Tire's installed. Fit perfectly .No rub and look great, feel great..:thumbup:

Top Bottom