Air conditioner water leak

hp2owner

I have the factory roof air on top of my 2007 ( 144 tall NV3 ). Last night we had our first good rain storm. When i took off this morning water spilled out of the interior roof unit all over the interior of my van. Anybody else have this issue and know how to fix? I know its a warrenty issue but the closest sprinter dealer to me can't even get a oil change right.

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
My guess would either be the hole for the refrigerant lines or the electrical. Hopefully it's just one hole through the roof. Probably need to remove the remove the interior cover to access the hole and test with a water hose. If it is, then you probably have to caulk it from above.

double07

When I bought my 07 Sprinter, I saw that all the Sprinters with AC on top on that dealer's lot had this problem. They told me that they can not do it at their service department, so they hired a body shop, and they removed the AC unit, removed the old seal then put the AC unit back and apply new seal.
Because it wasn't rain much in Northern CA the last several years, so all I saw was stain on the ceiling, not like water spilled all over the interior.

Ktran

hp2owner

I popped the top cover off the roof unit ( easy ) der there was the leak. The seal used with the wire harness had a big gap. I sealed it up was a good glob of RTV sealant after cleaning it up a bit.

Attachments

kendall69

Bravo - I thought I was the only one with this problem. First rain here in three years ( the DESERT ) when I backed up it looked like a waterfall inside the van.

I will look at the fix you mentioned.

Goliath

Cool picture! I thought there would be more up there under the cover. It looks like only the condensor coils and fans are there. Is the evaporator coil actually inside the van in the housing attached to the headliner?

Nathan

hp2owner

Geez, it rained again and still a waterfall appeared inside my van. Looks like there is another leak somewhere other than the obvious grommet that i repaired in the photo's. I am going to try and pressurize the interior of the van with a shop vac and look for bubbles. stay tuned.

mthead

Have you found a cure yet hp2owner? I have the same problem. Hope you're past it. Thanks for the post.

kendall69

I took mine in for repair and waited two days, and here it is months later and I had a waterfall in the van yesterday.

What's wrong with these dealers how difficult is it to fix things right the first time?

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
I took mine in for repair and waited two days, and here it is months later and I had a waterfall in the van yesterday.

What's wrong with these dealers how difficult is it to fix things right the first time?
More than likely the leak is due to pure compression of the roof-top AC's gasket onto the vans roof. Remove the interior trim of the AC's works/blower unit and re-tighten the hold-down screws/nuts...:thumbup:

mthead

I took my rig in for a warranty repair. The service manager insisted he knew Sprinters and none came with rear air. Since the air unit was not factory, not covered. He was nice though, and when I insisted, he checked. After fixing it, they told me that the mounting frame had not been sealed to the roof. No sealant at all! No problem now for several months.

The previous pictures seem to show sealant beading from under the frame but that's what worked for me.

oregonjeff

oregonjeff
I have the same problem on my 07 high roof 144. I once saw a thread where someone had posted the official MB info on fixing the problem. I seem to remember 3 pdf file, but now I can't find them. I want to print them and bring them with me to a Freightliner body shop when I take in the van for repair. Can anyone help direct me to that thread? Thanks, Jeff

Top Bottom