Sun like electrical energy

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Not directly related to “Sprinter Talk” but in long term this project, hopefully not just big dream, could develop more pressure to invent electrical battery, perhaps not an electrochemical one and we could be driving electrical vans. Simplicity of an electrical vehicle is certainly appealing.

I remember the cold fusion fiasco from the eighties and how much anxiety percolated from it, this time this news did not get to front pages yet.

The World political arena could be changed forever. I wish them best, we have plenty of water to be use as fuel.
http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/NN-Big-dreams-for-compact-fusion-reactor-1610147.html

George.

Too bad it just a grant hunting.
Which fits the CFR acronym.

aka Code of Federal Regulations

If they use ocean water maybe it will reduce the fears of rising levels that are related to global warming and climate change.

Actually I hope that they are successful rocket scientists. It's an interesting energy alternative.

vic

lindenengineering

If it's fresh water.... No, George, we don't have plenty of that. The world's supply diminishes daily.
Actually check out the material graphene
Nothing to do with Graphite Dave, but it hold outs great promise in turning sea water into irrigation water as a fast filtration medium.

This if successful, could defuse the long standing simmering tension between Pakistan and India over water in the Kashmire region and the Indus river water rights. This currently is the world's most hottest hot spot for a nuclear exchange believe it or not!

Dennis

GeorgeRa

If it's fresh water.... No, George, we don't have plenty of that. The world's supply diminishes daily.
In my calculation fusion of hydrogen to helium from 1 liter of water contains about 20 GWhr of energy, we have plenty of water for this even with existing shortages.

George.

GeorgeRa

Actually check out the material graphene
Nothing to do with Graphite Dave, but it hold outs great promise in turning sea water into irrigation water as a fast filtration medium.

This if successful, could defuse the long standing simmering tension between Pakistan and India over water in the Kashmire region and the Indus river water rights. This currently is the world's most hottest hot spot for a nuclear exchange believe it or not!

Dennis
Graphene, the 2D crystal of carbon is the wonder material of this Century with possible application in electronics, LCD touch screens, batteries, solar cells, as mentioned desalination, antibacterial, DNA analysis etc. Time will tell which applications will be the winning ones.

George.

lindenengineering

George
Going back to your opener on this thread , electric cars quote :-Simplicity of an electrical vehicle is certainly appealing.

Yes it is and the electric van or milk float has been part of British society for about 50 years believe it or not! Of course in them days as a youth they carried an array of humungous lead acid batteries charged by the grid! Not exactly "green" in our sense of the word today because the power station doing all the generation was doing all the pollution!

Of course depending upon where you live the power generation is less than green! So its all relative!
Here's some info on Colorado check yours!
:- http://apps3.eere.energy.gov/greenpower/buying/buying_power.shtml?state=CO

As you can see the biggest utility is less than "green" so being a greenie has lost some of those salient arguments that arise from time to time!
I suppose the cleanest has to be a personal solar system, drive your lekky car home and plug in, go to work and plug in. With around 300 days per annum of sunshine in Colorado power supply is almost assured!

I look after a fleet of Codas (16 of them) they will run 100 miles between charges which isn't bad! I drove one to Colorado Springs from Denver at between 80 and 50 mph! Not bad!
Here's a Coda now obsolete --a bit like cell phones really:-
http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2013/05/01/coda-bankruptcy-electric-car/2127673/

But the possibility is there, simplicity and no "suck squeeze bang blow'! --the "blow" is that battery, but I am convinced its coming.
Best regards
Dennis

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
What we need is a clean system, and we certainly don't have that--yet. But, we will only get there one step at a time. IMO, driving electric is "green" no matter where the electricity comes from, because it gets oil out of one essential link in the chain. Clean power plants are a different problem--a different link in the chain. But, until we get rid of internal combustion engines, vehicles will continue to pollute, no matter how much success we eventually have at generating clean electricity. Redoing the automotive ecosystem will be a long, hard slog. There is no reason to wait for clean power plants before we start that slog.

Top Bottom