cold start

rvdriverca

Does any body have this problem, starting cold there is real low boost and very little power, I would estimate half of normal power. There are no codes, I have been to 3 dealers, there scan tool agree low boost but not why. All I have to do is warm it up, shut it off and restart, and I have normall power. This has been going on for 10,000 km there are now 20,000 km on the van. The van is a 2006 158" wb.camper.:bash:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Welcome to the forum
Here we go again.
Question what is the temperature when your starting, and this may be a strange question, What voltage is your amp running at?
Richard.

rvdriverca

Thank you for your reply. and the welcome. I don't think the temperature has much to do with is it started doing this in Florida with temperatures at 55-60, I'm now in BC Canada with morning temperatures this mornigh at about 30 degrees F. The volage is 13.96 with all lights on, in canada we must have head lights on at all times. I'm going again to the dealer tommorow AM. and have to go over some 7% hills the best it will do is about 30-35 mph. I will not be able to shut it off so they can so they can put on a scan tool. If I was to restart it some place I will have full power

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Good Morning I will have to go to work but will try and run a check to-nite when i come back, there is a reference to voltage that causes some of these issues and how to reset codes etc, This has to be done via a MB dealer network or in your case Dodge/Freightliner
PS have you any problems with shifting

rvdriverca

As I said, there no codes, no light's, just symptoms. The only problem in shifting is when in low power, flooring it to get to hwy speeds, it stayes in gear till about 4k. rpm. in each gear before shifting to the next, this is normal, but I take my foot of the floor to like at 60 mph, to maintain 60 mph. and is still in 4 gear it will take 15-20 seconds to shift to 5 gear.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Not quite sure what's going on there but I'm told that not all "codes" trigger the check engine light. Should be something showing there...

.... it will take 15-20 seconds to shift to 5 gear.
You should be able to force ( or at least suggest to the transmission :smilewink: ) an up shift by giving the auto-stick a tap to the right.

derstar

experience with -40+ up north of southern Ontario and Quebec.

but my engine starts strong, turbo blow strong, so is the smoky white exhaust fumes :rad:

2004... not sure if it has same engine as 2006...

welcome abord :thumbup:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
G'day me matey's Nice to know everyone is up and about
That slow go on your turbo is a problem at your end, it should not be doing it, I have the latest Mercedes Sprinter information for the BC district from Germany with that many pages of information it's not funny.
One this could be a fuel related problem silly question! did you have the oil changed at 500miles or less it's a critical part of the engine management system, two you may be low on transmission fluid, three the module may not be set correctly , which is not your problem but it is with DC if they have a qualified tech to understand the differences with the 2006 model onwards and I'm referring to to the US model for 2006 not the Euro version as the gearbox is now changed.
It may be a linkage issue on the trans that is not set right and voltage is to be set a no less than I;m still reading this so will let you know latter on , basically if your running too may electrical add=ons the voltage drops and the engine management system does get confused etc.
I'll come back on it tonight
Richard
Diagram for 2007 update on the Sprinter , this is for the N/American Sprinters
And boy's and Girls,I had it confirmed this morning the wiring was reprogrammed for the US :thumbdown: Now this at least is starting to suggest as to the reason why the US sprinter has had electrical problems and turbo transmission issues.
I have 133 pages of updates this is going to be interesting.
Richard.
transmission module.jpg

Attachments

rvdriverca

Scott-mc. Altered Sprinter,asked me " if I had shifting problems" I was just tying to explain this to him. Normally I would have not have this problem.

DER Star the Sprinter has a air temperture sensor for the engine, that if the air temp. is below -20c. It cuts the boost so there will not be a strain on the cold drive train. They have replaced that part on my Sprinter thinking it could be defective.
But again the are no codes even with a scan tool at 3 dealers, in Cleveland Oh. , Orlando FL. and Maple Ridge BC. Canada

rvdriverca

ALTERED SPRINTER Thanks for your help. The oil was changed at 8900KM at a dodge dealer ship I brought in to the dealer at this same time because of the boost problem was there overnight, in the AM. they connected there scan tool and started it and found in fact there was low power because on low boost thought it could be caused by the air temp. sensor and replace it. but I still had the same problem. In Orlando FL. they replace the Turbo resonator again to no avail.

frostback

junior sprinter
Another BC Sprinter, I'm up in Campbell River. I noticed a similar issue with my 03 Sprinter. On cold starts it would feel as if I had no boost at low RPM's but goes away with warmup. I need to be mindful of it when I get to the first intersection as it is quite sluggish pulling into traffic. I also sometimes notice it holding gears a little longer when cold only intermittently though.:thinking: I figured they were just part of its quirky charm. :idunno:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
ALTERED SPRINTER Thanks for your help. The oil was changed at 8900KM at a dodge dealer ship I brought in to the dealer at this same time because of the boost problem was there overnight, in the AM. they connected there scan tool and started it and found in fact there was low power because on low boost thought it could be caused by the air temp. sensor and replace it. but I still had the same problem. In Orlando FL. they replace the Turbo resonator again to no avail.
Hi rvdriverca
Note oil change at 8900KM What happened to the 500 mile service, this is to dump the settling in oil special mix and resetting of codes? (It's in your manual)
My bet this is temperature related via the transmission I note you say the dealers have no codes! Where were these guys trained?
Canada's dealer ships do Quote have the manuals for codes and updates
Temperature voltage does effect the system , where the turbo boost which is obvious to you as a power drop again can also be related to temp,voltage during warm up under different geographic locations, if the trans is not working as it should be the power drag is coming from this end and not the cause of the turbo proper Here is one page relating to the testing of the trans read right side bottom section relating to cause of failure.
Richard
PS you need to sort it out, and I hope you don't end up stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting on someone to come and pick you up , which means your holiday break was no fun.any way pop back to our forum and let us know about your adventures etc.
Richard.
Voltage out put.jpg

Transmission check list.jpg

rvdriverca

dear Richard.
we are having a bad storm tonight power and internet have been off a # of times.
In my book there is nothing about a 500 mile or 800 km oil change. Just to change every 10,000 km or once a year. As Said before I'm going to the dealer tommorow am. And I will update you at a latter day. Thanks for your help, I will take the information with me to the dealer. Good night:thumbup:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
dear Richard.
we are having a bad storm tonight power and internet have been off a # of times.
In my book there is nothing about a 500 mile or 800 km oil change. Just to change every 10,000 km or once a year. As Said before I'm going to the dealer tommorow am. And I will update you at a latter day. Thanks for your help, I will take the information with me to the dealer. Good night:thumbup:
Just a quick one when you pick up in the morn ! With a power up I hope.
This print out shows the update for transmission code reset
Still reading , have not gotten into engine as of yet
Richard
USING DRB111 codes.jpg

Attachments

rvdriverca

Richard, Seems that the software had a defect and would not detect a code. They replace the computer (or software) than found the air temp sensor defective. Seems just fine now. Again thanks for your help.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Richard, Seems that the software had a defect and would not detect a code. They replace the computer (or software) than found the air temp sensor defective. Seems just fine now. Again thanks for your help.
Well thats great, at least your on the road again.
Richard

Top Bottom