A customer in my face!

trz453

Great video!

The Cummins swap got me curious, DOT/EPA-legality aside, would a newer NCV3 ECU allow the auxiliary electrics and airbags to still work if there was no more MB engine/transmission/DPF/DEF signals present? Obviously it would throw a million codes but a 4BT would be standalone anyway.

Part of me thinks MB would do just that to be a royal PITA to dissuade drivetrain swaps and aftermarket engineering solutions, but then it would also create a potential liability (someone could sue MB if the lights quit working leading to an accident, just because the ECU couldn't read the presence of something like a cam position sensor or because a wheel speed sensor indicated the vehicle was moving while there was no engine/trans feedback).

lindenengineering

Great video!

The Cummins swap got me curious, DOT/EPA-legality aside, would a newer NCV3 ECU allow the auxiliary electrics and airbags to still work if there was no more MB engine/transmission/DPF/DEF signals present? Obviously it would throw a million codes but a 4BT would be standalone anyway.

Part of me thinks MB would do just that to be a royal PITA to dissuade drivetrain swaps and aftermarket engineering solutions, but then it would also create a potential liability (someone could sue MB if the lights quit working leading to an accident, just because the ECU couldn't read the presence of something like a cam position sensor or because a wheel speed sensor indicated the vehicle was moving while there was no engine/trans feedback).
I won't mention too much about this re-power study for obvious reasons, but simply to mention that Cummins has a number of engines that meet ULEV spec and of course have their own Power train control module (PCM) mounted on the engine. Indeed their SCR after treatment exhaust system (exhaust system scrubber) works much the same as the MB exhaust; perhaps only better depending upon your perspective.
Physically the power train will will fit, that we have done as an offer up.
Coupled to a manual transmission which forms part of the customer edict much of the electronic module interface has been removed by its possible adoption for a Cummins re-power.
Study so far suggests the ABS & traction control will remain since it is used in other non MB installations.
Its not for the feint heart'd for sure but then my dad used to say "Kid you go where angels fear to tread"!
But remember I use to do this re-powering stuff for a living when I worked for DAF power systems who are based in Holland (Now owned by Paccar) For me its not quite the challenge as it might be only one thing is always paramount,
It has to be better than the original power pack & cheaper to run over the long haul.
That bean counter pie chart again!
We will see and that is all I am saying about it!
Dennis

Markthelark

Nice to see you haven't lost that Gloucestershire accent ! You sure you are in Colorado , looks a lot like the A38 to me !!

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
Nice to put a face to your name, Dennis.
If my travels take me close to Denver I will stop by to shake your hand. One day.

lindenengineering

Nice to put a face to your name, Dennis.
If my travels take me close to Denver I will stop by to shake your hand. One day.
Ciprian
Yes its always nice to put a face to a voice over the phone or a forum post.
That stated it can be the opposite!

I am referring to a passing incident at a unisex hairdresser in Miami!
One of the "ladies " having her hair colored was this big 300lb "Mama not so attractive" woman about 50 odd a few seats over!

The guy cutting my hair whispered that gal is one of the most famous phone sex "answeres" in the whole of the South Metro & Dade county.

Work that out!:lol:
Dennis
ps Yes come by anytime, always welcome!

katmat

Dennis,
We are going to be in the Denver area at the end of June for a Plymouth Prowler event. I may have to stop by & say hi!

lindenengineering

Dennis,
We are going to be in the Denver area at the end of June for a Plymouth Prowler event. I may have to stop by & say hi!
Matt
Maybe!
Normally the shop closes at the end of June the last weekend for 2 weeks stretching out over the 4th of July duration week.
Nothing much goes on anyway for that time frame so far as business is concerned, so we allow everyone time off to recharge our batteries!
Dennis

stroud_omnibus

Nice to put a face to a name Dennis, that's one busy workshop!

I was in Colorado for ooohh...... 20 minutes at the beginning of April! My daughter and I were travelling from Monument Valley to Gallup NM and we went via the Four Corners Monument.

Top Bottom