Center-ish resonate vibration @2200-2600 rpm

Allantuttle1

Art wagon 1
On acceleration.

Hello, I've got a 2006 140" with 198000 on it. The Vibration does go away when I let off accelerator. Seems to happen between 2200rpm and 2600 rpm. Which is about where it settles on the interstate. I don't go over 2200rpms while I'm trying to get to the bottom of this.

I crawled under the van to check for play in the UL joints I can wiggle the driveshaft but the only play I see is at the back of the tranny. Sounds like I am moving gears inside of it. Is this a major issue? I searched the forums and found similar but none that quite described my issue.

I will add that I sometimes feel what feels like UL play but overall the transmission is smoth and normal. Light RSN on deceleration.

On the phone with two separate shops.....they say its usually the carrier bearing and both shops have never done a driveshaft.

Any ideas?

Allan

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
You're sure it's not your classic rumble strip noise (RSN)?

I own an NCV3 which doesn't suffer from RSN, but if you go to google and type

site:sprinter-source.com RSN

You'll see a lot of chatter about it and 2002-2006 Sprinters.

-Jon

PS: never mind. I missed your RSN mention in your first post. Sorry.

Allantuttle1

Art wagon 1
I need DR A. To track this one. I had a mechanic drive it today and didn't think a whole lot of it.....however, like I mentioned, it is difficult on the interstate to not throttle past 2200 rpm. If I held 70 it would be there every time I feathered the throttle. Not normal. There is a sticker that has been ripped off the driveshaft. I don't think stickers are on driveshafts of a new sprinter....so I'm guessing now, but thinking improper installment.

Teutonic9

Exact same issue on my '06 140" I just bought yesterday. Based on automotive repair experience, I suspect either the driveshaft like you mentioned or torque converter related which may have some relationship to the RSN dealio as well. I had a nearly indentical situation on a Ford E-van years ago that ended up being torque converter chatter. A small amount of friction modifier added to the fluid fixed it.

Let's hope some others give us some more I insight..

Allantuttle1

Art wagon 1
Thanks,

I had a mechanic check the u joints and he said they are fine. A separate mechanic recommend checking the transmission mounts. I am servicing the transmision as it is due now.....fingers crossed.

Can the tourqe converter be changed by itself?

Allan

Top Bottom