Daytime running lights

fmxman156

Hi guys, I have a 2014 sprinter with the HID Lighting package and just took my van into service for a part of the headlight not working... They called me back and said that it does not function and is meant to be that way. Why is that?? Here's a pick of the light that is a blank, does anyone know how I could make this into a functioning light... It's the day time running lights probably on the other model headlights.. Closest to grill inside corner. Not the main head light for night or the turn signal lights. The little one. Thanks for any insight. Sounds to me like an easy way to get out of fixing something in warranty

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0146932672442.327324.682347441&type=1&theater

Last edited:
G

Gordon Smith

Could that lamp be a "fog lamp", optional on earlier models and also placed lower down in the bumper on earlier models?
If optional…then you'd just have pay to have them installed. Just a guess.

sailquik

fmxman156,
Those are the "cornering" lights.
I have those lights on my 2014.....they all do if they have the B-Xenon headlight option.
Here's what the owners manual has to say:

Cornering light function (vehicles with bi-xenon headlamps)
When the dipped-beam headlamps are switched on, the cornering light function improves the illumination of the road in the direction you are turning.
The cornering light function switches on automatically, if:
•you are travelling at a speed of less than 40 km/h and you switch on the indicator lamp or turn the steering wheel.
•you are travelling at a speed of between 40 km/h and 70 km/h and you turn the steering wheel.
The cornering light may continue to be lit for a short time, but is deactivated automatically after a maximum of three minutes.

They may actually be working in all of our NAS 2014 Bi-Xenon equipped Sprinters, but there is no way I'm standing in
front of the Sprinter at any speed just to see if they work.
Maybe we need someone to drive in front of us, with a camera, to record what the lights do and when they come on?
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

co-kid

2021 Sprinter 3500XD, I4 on order
Those are the cornering lamps. Check the lighting section of your owner's manual for a description. Briefly, they're *supposed* to come on based on speed and steering wheel position. I have the same HID headlights on my 2014 rig and I've yet to notice them turn on. On my rig, it appears that there are bulbs inside the housing. I'm guessing that the lights are disabled for USA vehicles -- but that's just a guess.

I too would like to get more info on how to get these lights to work.

Smiles,
Alan

Last edited:

Camosun

I have the HID light package complete with cornering lights on my 2012 Canadian Sprinter. The cornering lights are activated by the steering wheel or turn signals at speeds below 40 kmh (25 mph). They do greatly assist while maneuvering in dark locations. They can be activated while sitting in park, idling and tweaking the steering wheel or the turn signals.

Top Bottom