Votes: 148 15.0%

Votes: 395 40.1%

Votes: 71 7.2%

Votes: 138 14.0%

Votes: 29 2.9%

Votes: 89 9.0%

• Total voters

spicywith

I was surprised and disappointed by that myself. There is a lot to be said for 'simplicity'.

California emission compliance is not necessarily an advantage if you live outside of California.

Worldwide, the 647 version is limited to the NAFTA market and possibly Switzerland?, I can't recall.

Doktor A
I'm looking at an '03 out of state to bring back to California. Can someone elaborate on whether I may have problems registering it here?

JLC1

Our 2006 Sprinter Stopped Today.. Not sure just took her in but it Looks Like Our Motor Went.. 829,000 miles.. Started making a racket.. Went about 1/4 mile and She Stopped... She will turn over.. No Water in Oil.. Wait & See.. Broke My Heart Towing Her Home.. Spent a lot time over the last 5 1/2 years in that Van.. Loading Up our other 2006 we Bought This Year.. Please Wish Us Luck..
That is incredible for any vehicle except maybe an 18 wheeler. I would pull that motor clean it so it glows and make a coffee table out of it. That's a loyal machine and I'm glad you got your mileage out of it. How is the rest of the van? How many transmissions 2?

stojanovich

Probably mentioned above, but within the T1N years, the 2002-2003 has the OM612 engine configuration, the 2004-2006 has the OM647. Differences are external; 612 has clear plastic low pressure fuel lines, 612 has low pressure sucker fuel pump 647 has pusher in the tank, different EGR (the 647 is supposed to be improved), 612 has no turbo resonator, manifold is different. It seems to be a wash as to which configuration is "better", both have strengths and weaknesses compared to each other. One thing is that the 612 does not need to have new injectors specified via a DRB or DAD when installed.
is there a way to tell which engine is in my 2004 from the VIN # ?

sailquik

stojanovich;
Send me your VIN # and a valid email address so I can send you the Build Data Card for your Sprinter.
The Data Card comes from the Mercedes Benz data bases and lists all the option codes and serial numbers (for major
assemblies) that were used to build assemble your Sprinter in Germany.
Dodge/Freightliner/Mercedes Benz are all the same and are all in the data base.
I need the return email address as the Sprinter-Source software will not allow me to send you a .pdf file of
your Sprinter data card.
Using the Private Message (PM) feature at the top RH side of this window keeps your email address confidential.
No one will see it but you and me!
Roger

Markthelark

2000 TO 2003 in UK , less emission kit fitted , and no DMF ! They do tend to rust badly here though. Most of UK Sprinters are either 2.1 or 2.2 Diesel CDI's with 130BHP , mine is a 311CDI .

Believe it or not I have a 2002 Sprinter 158 Wheelbase- Freightliner. Mechanics are always dumbfounded when ordering parts for it. It's been great save for some glo-plug issues and I find that compared to my 350 Ford Econoline the accoutrements are kind of built like legos.. Things tend to snap off/ break a bit easier.. but I'm only referring to minor things like dashboard / windshield / blinker controls, etc.. The gas mileage is incredible as is the 472 cubic feet of storage..

surlyoldbill

update: 250k and $2400 total in repairs. The bulk of that is 3 injectors over the years. Tires and oil changes and fuel filters not included.

funpilot

I am looking for a used Sprinter based motorhome. Any reason the comments on the vans would not apply to the same years for Class C motorhomes?

cacaw

I am looking for a used Sprinter based motorhome. Any reason the comments on the vans would not apply to the same years for Class C motorhomes?
I have a 2007 Winnebago View H with the five cylinder engine. (Itasca Navion is the same thing.) Recently, I've noticed several low mileage 2006's for sale in the $40,000-$45,000 range and there have been a few that have sold in the low to mid $30,000. Given that these have the simpler engine and that some say the camper portion is built better, I think these are incredible bargains.

ko4nrbs

I have a 2007 Winnebago View H with the five cylinder engine. (Itasca Navion is the same thing.) Recently, I've noticed several low mileage 2006's for sale in the $40,000-$45,000 range and there have been a few that have sold in the low to mid $30,000. Given that these have the simpler engine and that some say the camper portion is built better, I think these are incredible bargains.
I also have a 2007 Winnebago View built on a 2006 Sprinter 3500 chassis (5 cylinder) with over 67,000 miles on it. We have put several long trips on it with one trip being a little over 11,000 miles round trip to Alaska. The rig has been good to us though we have had a few problems. The 5 cylinder engine has never left me wanting for power and has been dependable.

Do your preventative maintenance and it will treat you right.

If buying used don't assume the previous owner or owners took care of it. Do thorough inspections as well as research for problem areas to check over.

Bill

HelloPitty

I voted for 2004 because that is what mine is.
I figure it must be a very good van since it had 233,000 miles on it when I bought it, drove it home (2 hour drive), without any worry.

HelloPitty

I voted for 2004 because that is what mine is.
I figure it must be a very good van since it had 233,000 miles on it when I bought it, drove it home (2 hour drive), without any worry.
I can't believe I wrote that, but I did.
Silly me, I'm sure it had something to do with the honeymoon stage of owning my first Sprinter, please forgive my enthusiasm.

MrsBeez

I can't believe I wrote that, but I did.
Silly me, I'm sure it had something to do with the honeymoon stage of owning my first Sprinter, please forgive my enthusiasm.
I haven't signed the paperwork yet, but I'm considering a 2013 2500 144wb Crew with 152,000 miles on it. Now that seems more reasonable. :smirk:

sheral

From my notes (made from reading forums and speaking to various techs) that I made a while back...

‘2007+ have way more support available via scan tools. Both the 5 and 6 cylinder engines are similar in reliability. However, the 5 cylinder is less expensive to maintain, uses cheaper oil, no exhaust after treatment to contend with. Caveat: if the unit has not been properly maintained, it is not worth much...’

Top Bottom