Steering wheel "shudders" when turning.

maggiemae44

I have a 2006 Itasca Navion on a Sprinter (05) chassis w/Mercedes 3500 Diesel. Recently, when making a low speed turn, the steering wheel shudders (almost visibly vibrates in my hands). Could this be something simple like low power steering fluid? Or a broken pump? If stopped and turn the wheel, it also shudders/vibrates. Have appointment at Suburban Dodge in Garden City. They have been doing oil changes, etc.
Has anyone had this problem?? Thanks.

sailquik

maggiemae44,
Yes, check to see that your power steering fluid is not low.
I believe (haven't touched a T1N in a number of years) there's a little dipstick under the cap for the power steering
reservoir cap on the left front of your engine.
Unscrew the cap and look at the dipstick level to see if your PS fluid is low.
A failing PS pump or steering rack leak can also result in the shudder.
Best way to bleed it out is to turn your steering wheel slowly all the way to the right, then back all the way (to the stop)
to the left several times.
You may feel the shudder near the steering stops in both directions as the air is bled out of the steering rack.
Here's a link to the latest thread on this issue:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41076&highlight=stutter
Roger

maggiemae44

Thanks for all the advice. I did check the fluid level and it was VERY low--hardly registered on the stick. Went to an Advance Auto to get the steering fluid; I was asked year/model (I thought all steering fluids were alike!!). The young man couldn't find the info he was looking for and went online to look. Found out that a "clear" fluid (not red) was needed for MB and said I needed to see a dealer. The fluid is so low, I'm not driving the motorhome to the dealer, but will get and see if it solves the problem. Thanks again. :clapping:

sailquik

maggiemae44,
Do you still have the MB Operator's Manual in the glove box of your RV (in the clear plastic pouch).
I looked online and the 2006 Dodge Sprinter Operator's Manual suggests the following on Page 301:
"Power Steering fluid — Mobil ATF-D, Exxon Mobil Corporation, or equivalent MB BEVO Specification 236.3"
So, you probably do not need the special "clear" MB fluid.
Here's a link to MB Bevo 236.3:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/236.3_en.html
About as clear as mud....but that's what the Operator's manual suggests.
Pretty sure I topped up my PS fluid with Mobil ATF-D and I seemed to work fine....never had to add any more...think I still have the leftover.
What you also need to figure out is where is the Power Steering fluid leaking out.
There are hoses from the PS Pump down to the PS rack that sometimes have leaked.
There are seals on the PS rack that sometimes leak.
Good luck!
Roger

maggiemae44

Thanks again, Roger. Suburban Dodge say they have something in stock (didn't ask brand) for $8.12 per quart. Whitney wasn't much help...I'll have a look at the lubricants list in the manual. Shouldn't the mechanic be checking ALL fluids when servicing? Guess they'll have to look for a leak (never had any puddle underneath though).

Question: Very few miles in the last two years for MH...should I still have the oil changed every year? Thanks for your advice.
Patsy

surlyoldbill

Solved before I could chime in about low fluid!

I had same problem and topped off the fluid and it fixed it.
Even though I replaced the control arms and had the boots off and my face was inches from the steering system, I never saw any sign of leakage. I have no idea where the fluid goes, but it was definitely low. After topping off a few years ago, there hasn't been a change.

sailquik

maggiemay44,
Just found the left over transmission fluid (ATF) that I used in around 2008 when my 2006 Dodge 3500 T1N Sprinter had the
shudder and I needed to replenish the power steering fluid.
It's Castrol ATF-4 (which may not be the right stuff, but it did work).
On my next service, I told the service writer that there might be some issue with the power steering.
The technician noticed the steering rack was leaking and it was replaced it under the new vehicle warranty.
If I recall changing out the entire rack was around $2200 with labor.
There have been some recent posts that suggest that some of the power steering hoses from the pump
down to the PS rack have been known to leak.
Yes, if you take your Sprinter to an authorized Sprinter commercial dealer, they will check ALL the fluids.
It's in the check off sheet in your Maintenance Manual.
Glad it's working.
Roger

Last edited:

maggiemae44

Roger, I filled the steering fluid container with the Dodge dealer recommendation -- it is something ATF 4. MH steering wheel moves OK, but took to dealer for an oil change and asked them to check the steering for any problems. They soon called me to say that I needed a rack and pinion replacement + alignment for $4,000!! I said I needed a second opinion and would pick up. Paid for the oil change + $110 for checking the steering (which they didn't tell me about in advance). On the way home, it drove OK but I noticed that where it says what gear you're in P / D etc. didn't say anything!! and something was flashing on the right side of this display--I assumed some error code (but can't find in owner's manual). When I got back home, I turned off to check the steering fluid level and add some Lucas Stop Leak... Nothing is leaking on the ground under the MH. But, guess what--when I went to start the engine--NOTHING HAPPENED...radio / lights, etc. all work but no engine turnover. So now I also have a linkage maybe, transmission, starter, selonoid or I don't know what problem!! My little MH is starting to make me feel very ILL!!

Also, if I do need the rack replaced...can I use an aftermarket part rather than the expensive Mercedes?? Can get one from Auto Warehouse for $400-600$ (labor will be about $1,200) Any suggestions for my dilemna? Patsy

sailquik

Patsy,
Sorry to hear the rack is leaking....was afraid of that when you said the fluid was very low.
Yes, you can get a 2nd opinion....check to see if there are any local Freightliner (same as Dodge...all built by Mercedes in the same factory)
Commercial truck repair shops in your area.
You may be able to save quite a bit and they may use a remanufactured or aftermarket steering rack, saving you even more $$.
I would call the dealer that worked on your MH and have them get it running right again.
Seems pretty obvious that they didn't get something hooked back up as it was before they did the oil change and evaluated the steering
rack leak.
Also check if there are any independent Sprinter repair shops in your area.
They may be able to save you some $$ changing out the steering rack.
Was this a Dodge dealer that did the work?
Might also check for a Mercedes Benz authorized Sprinter dealer close by and ask them for an estimate on changing out the steering rack.
I did a quick online check, and it seems there are some independent Sprinter Repair shops in the Detroit/Dearborn area.
Hoekstra Freightliner has been mentioned here as a good place to have a Sprinter repaired....might check with them.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9564
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

Top Bottom