Seat Swivels / feel like I got screwed by sprinter accessories/swivels-r-us

RonR

Recovering Sprinter Owner
Not sure what is going on. I have 2 swivels-r-us and they are great. Yes you do need to crack the door to swivel, no problem for me. In my 2012 you can close the door with the armrest up or down. When up the door is very tight to the armrest.
They have been great to work with.
Ron

cwalkersac

HEADS-UP -- I had the Swivels-r-us seat swivels installed on my 2016 Sprinter 4x4. They were very solidly constructed with good gauge metal. BUT . . . despite the heavy construction they seemed to tilt off-camber while the van is cornering. My recarro like MB driver seat was no longer solid nor comfortable. I had the swivels removed and will not be re-installing them. I like the feel of the MB driver seat as it sits connected directly to the pedestal. The swivels change that feel in a very negative way.

DieselFumes

2015 4x4 2500 170 Crew
Are you sure they tilted? It's more possible they swiveled slightly. The catch for the swivel sits in a hole that is maybe 1/16" wider than it each side. We have noticed that the seat can move slightly (swivel) side to side as you corner. Not so disconcerting when you know what is causing the issue.

To be clear, this happens only occasionally, and is not a large movement. Overall we like the CTA swivel (the brand name of the one sold by Swivels-r-us).

Our experience with S-R-U was that they did not communicate at all, and in combination with their archaic e-commerce system that left us with very little confidence in them. The swivels did arrive in one piece, but with the wrong nuts (1.25 pitch rather than 1.5 pitch). That shows a dangerous lack of attention to detail somewhere along the line.

cwalkersac

Definitely a tilt from the pivot point. Bottomline -- you no longer are attached to the pedestal at all four corners. The attachment is now through a circular polyester disk. By definition it will give more than a four corner attachment. Movement was both forward/back and right/left. Not my cup of tea.

DieselFumes

2015 4x4 2500 170 Crew
Definitely a tilt from the pivot point. Bottomline -- you no longer are attached to the pedestal at all four corners. The attachment is now through a circular polyester disk. By definition it will give more than a four corner attachment. Movement was both forward/back and right/left. Not my cup of tea.
Wow - that's worrying. From the sound of it, you had someone else do the install. I wonder whether they loosened the bolts around the pivot point in order to make it "turn smoother" or something. That central disk is normally held in place pretty darn tight by the six bolts and metal flanges all around it. It also extends out to about 1" from each corner, so it shouldn't enable the seat to rock. You can just make it out in this picture...

Not trying to defend the CTA seats - and definitely acknowledging your bad experience with them - but it seems strange that it happened. I've not heard of it happening to other folks on the forum, but I'd like to make sure it isn't a common complaint and/or something I need to watch out for.

It was a top notch quality install. The product just isn't for everybody (me for sure).
Cwalkersac - What are you planning to do with the passenger swivel? I have been in a little one sided pissing match with these guys. I gave them hell about charging my card and not delivering the product or answering their phone or responding to emails, and finally served notice that I would be disputing the charge with my credit card company. I didn't have to; they issued a credit. I guess they would rather sell nothing than answer the phone or respond to customer emails; seems peculiar for a small business owner. I would never buy anything from these guys again, but I would buy the product from you. I don't think they have anything to do with the manufacture; they seem like middle men taking a cut for doing a lousy job of fulfilling orders. I already received a sportcraft driver swivel from EuroCamper. I was just about to order the passenger swivel from them, as it was delivered in just three business days. I was really hoping to compare the two; let me know if you are interested in selling it.

Thanks

Thanks

Top Bottom