Shell test-marketing new dieselFIT formulation in Seattle and Waco

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Just a heads-up...

Shell's dieselFIT ("fuel injection technology"):

http://www.shell.us/products-servic...l-diesel-fit---fuel-injection-technology.html

and (FAQ):
http://www.shell.us/products-servic...ogy/ten-questions-about-shell-diesel-fit.html

I just heard about this stuff (i haven't seen it at a station... the local Shell stations are higher-priced than my usual stops).
Since pretty much all diesel vehicles are fuel injected, i can only wonder "what were they feeding us *before*???"
(cynic that i am...)

FIT's claim to fame is protection and cleaning... (what? add cetane? sigh...)

...you heard it here first... (we need a "take with grain of salt" icon...)

--dick

Last edited:

ehallspqr

Interesting. Many complaints I hear about the Sprinter pertain to the intake gumming up and emission controls sooting up. Anything that will help clean/burn the crud out these systems is worth trying. I also heard to run some Kerosene through with your diesel a couple times a month to help keep soot from building up. I have been doing this awhile now with no ill effects. Other tips I've heard, Don't buy cheap diesel & do not idle your van excessively.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
ehallspqr said:
Port Townsend, WA
I just ran the fuel-type station locator... the Shell stations on your side of the Sound do NOT have FITs.
They're all over here around Seattle. (two within a mile or so of my house)

The FAQ page says that they haven't really studied their performance/mileage effects upon "light duty" diesels yet.. only heavy duty.
(i.e. big rig versus cars and Sprinters)

--dick

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Interesting. Many complaints I hear about the Sprinter pertain to the intake gumming up and emission controls sooting up. Anything that will help clean/burn the crud out these systems is worth trying. I also heard to run some Kerosene through with your diesel a couple times a month to help keep soot from building up. I have been doing this awhile now with no ill effects. Other tips I've heard, Don't buy cheap diesel & do not idle your van excessively.
Someone posted to add biodiesel occasionally for cleaning. I put in a gallon of 100% biodiesel every month or so when I need full tank of fuel. 5% of 20 gallons is 1 gallon. Any comments from someone more knowledgeable? Waste of time or useful?

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
Someone posted to add biodiesel occasionally for cleaning. I put in a gallon of 100% biodiesel every month or so when I need full tank of fuel. 5% of 20 gallons is 1 gallon. Any comments from someone more knowledgeable? Waste of time or useful?
I think the big advantage of biodiesel is high lubricity. Not sure of its ability to clean the fuel system.

ehallspqr

Haven't heard of Bio diesel cleaning properties, interesting. Will have to check into that. I did recall another trick that the Mercedes guys recommend with the older MB diesel cars. They put some ATF mixed in with the Diesel a couple times a month to help thing stay lubed and clean. It's supposed to work.

Kerosene in diesel was recommend by both Webasto and Eberspächer to keep their diesel appliances running clean. Many people find that their Airtronic heaters soot up really bad and stop working. Running some Kerosene through them dramatically cleans away the soot buildup. Kerosene burns much cleaner and hotter. It get hot enough to burn the soot away. It also has better solvent cleaning properties. Just don't use too much because it doesn't lubricate as well. A couple gallons per tank is all that is needed. I do this every 3rd fill up.

Interesting. I csmr across a Shell in Monroe that had it. I have never seen or heard of it before. Read the description and it sounded like a positive thing for our vans.

T.J.T

In Calgary I've been using the shell v power deisel for a couple years. Wonder if this is the same thing but with us branding.

Top Bottom