Burning Lots of oil???

chef

I had a "limp home " episode this week..... loss of power, strange fluttering then grinding noise. I pulled over, couldn't tell what was going on. I started the truck....ok at idle, put it in gear....flutter and grinding noise and a big bellow of smoke out of the tail pipe. I check the oil....2 qts low.HMMMMM

I fill the oil, Limp a few more miles.....bad smoke pours ot of the tail pipe, I pull over check the oil and its burnt 6 qts in 10 minutes? Is that a symtom of the turbo resonator going?

Thanks,

Chef Mike

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Welcome Chef
You will get some help fairly soon late in the day it goes quite.
Is your van blowing just smoke from tail pipe or oil as well?
I seen one blown turbo that let out an endless amount of carbon smoke but oil no! Have you high miles on your van and are are your still under warranty? how long has this been an issue, type of fuel and weather temp may also help so members can pin down your problem as to the specifics.
Richard
With second thoughts if you burnt six quarts in ten minutes then after twelve minutes your not going to have an engine, what's the temp gauge showing your on board ASSYST should have warning lights light up like a Christmas tree.

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

Symptoms seem to fit a delamination of the crank pulley. They have been known to grind their way through the timing cover. Of course, a hole in the timing cover would mean the loss of lots of oil. Lots of oil flying around the engine could result in smoke.

chef

Good Morning,

The truck is a 2006, 33000 miles in South Florida. I use low sulfur fuel pumped at the Mobil, this just happened late Tuesday. I had to leave the truck there and come back for it on Saturday. There was a small puddle of oil under the tail pipe.
The inside of the tail pipe is thick coated in oil?? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: Help

The computer didn't read low oil until I turned off the truck then re-started it....-2.0 but it took more.

Thanks,

Chef Mike

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I had a "limp home " episode this week..... loss of power, strange fluttering then grinding noise. I pulled over, couldn't tell what was going on. I started the truck....ok at idle, put it in gear....flutter and grinding noise and a big bellow of smoke out of the tail pipe. I check the oil....2 qts low.HMMMMM

I fill the oil, Limp a few more miles.....bad smoke pours ot of the tail pipe, I pull over check the oil and its burnt 6 qts in 10 minutes? Is that a symtom of the turbo resonator going?

Thanks,

Chef Mike
In a diesel engine the only relatively "harmless" way to introduce that much oil into the exhaust system is via the turbocharger. I used the word "harmless" because moving large quantities of oil through the intake-combustion chamber-exhaust route would be harmful to your engine and bank account. Doktor A

therabbittree

sounds like a classic blown turbo to me. It should be covered by warranty. Have it towed do not drive it.. you can damage more parts trying to drive it.
Later
Deo

Top Bottom