2006 or earlier vs. 2011-2016

OurCrew

I believe 2006 or earlier don't use DEF, and I know there were problems early with DEF when it first arrived but don't know if they have be solved. So if you had the choice of low mileage say 2006 or low mileage 2011-2016 what would you do and why?

danski0224

DEF didn't start in the USA until 2010.

The NCV3 body style started in 2007. The 2007-2009 diesels have a DPF filter and no DEF.

If you live in the rust belt, odds are that the body will exit before the drivetrain.

I like the NCV3 van over the T1N van, and it gets more difficult every year to find a nice T1N, and many are strippers without options.

Brian.

I looked specifically for a T1N (2002~2006) because I wanted to avoid all the crap that became necessary in 2007. I watched things roll out in real time as I've had a 2001 Jetta since 2003, all the nightmare issues people were having with brand new vehicles starting in 2007. Things are getting better, but I'm of the opinion that the pre-2007 units are Still the better option at this time. If you have the means to buy brand new, always stay near a MB dealership and will sell/trade before the end of warranty, then that might be a good option... maybe. And I hesitate to say that Anyone should own a T1N ~ the prior owner of mine found that out as he was incapable (or unwilling) to do Any of his own work which resulted in dealership bills in the thousands for a couple hundred dollars in parts and a few hours labor. It's more a vehicle for someone willing and able to do their own work instead of relying on someone else.

I think the NCV3 looks nicer inside and out, but that's it. My money voted T1N

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
You can have a 2007-2008 NCV3 and eliminate all of the emissions issues with a GDE tune, best of both worlds. Don't want to start the war again, but just sayin'

OurCrew

I'm looking at used RVs and trying to figure the best way to go. My son is a airplane mechanic and loves working on cars. I live in NJ but wouldn't plan on using it when roads are salted.

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Its like buying any other used vehicle. Search for a low mileage unit, with few (if any) mechanical and body problems. Look in areas where they don't salt the roads in the winter (a lot of the US Western states, for example). There are good deals out there and if you are willing to do as much work as possible, you can end up with a long lasting Sprinter.

My 2002 is holding up great and I drive it for most normal trips. I work on mine and use the right fluids and maintance intervals. I prefer the simpler emissions on the T1Ns - I also have a DAD unit to help keep it running. I also help out other T1N owners local to me (I'm not a shop, so I don't charge anything for my time - as a result, I've learned a lot and own a lot of specialty tools for the T1Ns).

If you are not willing to learn how to maintain as much as possible, any older vehicle is a poor choice for you. There is a lot of great info on this site if you know how to find it.

Last edited:

Lotus54

Im starting to look- and thought about the same.

The T1N are getting pretty old, so even a low mileage will have old hoses, belts, brake lines, suspension bushings etc.

But sounds pretty robust in the engine department.
$$ is certainly a hige factor, but i also don't like having to wonder if the vehicle will break and leave me on the side of some deserted road...i think about that sort of thing too much.

Mark

Last edited:

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
makes sense. and i can attest the ncv3s are a smoother ride. once i put 500K on mine (currently i'm at 170K, bought it with 70K 4 years ago) I'll buy a 2009 with a GDE tune! That will be in 2029. of course the current 4 cylinders don't seem to be having those issues, so perhaps i'll go that route. and then again, hopefully everything will be electric by then!

Top Bottom