Radio Installation

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I finally got fed up with my Becker's lousy FM reception. I installed a Sony CDX-GT610Ui, purchased from Crutchfield. I am not big into audio (notice the 5 year delay?). The Sony was relatively cheap, but had going for it good FM reception stats, USB and aux front inputs, and an Ipod connection and related software (I don't own an Ipod, but my sons and most of the Scouts do).

After disconnecting the battery, I pulled the Becker. Humm... mistake #1. Can't get the radio out with the gear in Park, and as an electronic transmission, it needs power to shift. Notice how the Becker radio's faceplate covers the full space. Fortunately, behind the Becker plate the Sprinter's fascia is standard grey. No problem.

P6090171.JPG

Next, hitch up the VW conversion block to the Sony block. Crutchfield's instructions only reference Dodge Sprinters 2003-2004 (even though my copy of their instructions was revised early 2007) with regard to reversing the power and ignition lines. Notwithstanding a call to Crutchfield to confirm my expectation that this exception was for all Sprinters, the person on the other end insisted I follow the instructions, as 2003-2004's were the exception. Hummm.... mistake #2. Not so.

Several things to note in this picture. First and worst, notice all the space the blocks and connections take up. This will lead to problems later when installing the radio.

Second, this radio has a pre-wired Ipod line from the back that must be brought forward. Sony's suggestion is to take it to the glove compartment. I have another thread on the glove compartment. I decided to run it to my control console and use one of my many blank switch slots. The fish (note the white wire) fed easily to the front. Note the switch blank already removed.

P6090173.JPG

Now the hard part - getting the radio back in. First, the antenna wire for the Sprinter has little in the way of connective strength. Its design problem is compounded by the fact that the 90 degree design seems to have no easy means of handling the torque when pushed back into the cavity. I stole the black clip from the Becker radio (they at least seem to know of this design weakness and designed a part to counter the problem) and installed it on the Sony at a very lucky and convenient hole in the back of the radio.

All the other wires and the block now have to be pre-positioned in the cavity to permit the radio to slide in. Hold the radio up close to the panel with one hand, then push the wiring and, especially, the block into a space towards the left-back.

P6090182.JPG

For the Ipod wire, I carved out the middle of the switch blank to fit the adapter.

P6090183.JPG

This is how the Ipod mounts on the adapter. It would be even better with the Shuffle.

P6100184.JPG

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Humm... mistake #1. Can't get the radio out with the gear in Park, and as an electronic transmission, it needs power to shift.
:thinking:

I thought you could still shift it out of park if you push the little black tab below the -D+ to release the lock.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I thought you could still shift it out of park if you push the little black tab below the -D+ to release the lock.

I think you are correct. I thought about it, but decided not to try it as I couldn't remember if the door/cover was spring loaded. With my wife's Camry, she promptly used the feature and lost the cover. Re-energizing took only 30 seconds.

EDIT: The black tab is spring mounted. No problem with resetting of the tab.

Last edited:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
I've seen on eBay for Sprinter a radio install kit...showing a frame/backing plate. I never understood what that was for because as you have clearly shown above is that when the original unit is removed, there is a nice single DIN slot for any radio so slide right in.

So does the ipod stay put with that connection arrangement? Looks like it would want to fall out given a decent bump in the road.

Any pic of the radio installed. How do you like it?

nort

I went to pull my radio yesterday and there is no metal mounting sleeve inside the dash. It appears the previous owner removed it. The radio pulled right out without any tools. I haven't replaced a car stereo in 20yrs so I am a little rusty. Is this something I can get through a local stereo shop? Or do I have to order one?
Thanks,
nort

nort

I went to pull my radio yesterday and there is no metal mounting sleeve inside the dash. It appears the previous owner removed it. The radio pulled right out without any tools. I haven't replaced a car stereo in 20yrs so I am a little rusty. Is this something I can get through a local stereo shop? Or do I have to order one?
Thanks,
nort
All set.
New one is coming with a mounting sleeve.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
The radio above was the one stolen as reported. The replacement came and I was all eager to install - only to be hung up with the antenna connection. The radio came with the US standard plug, but that does not work with the Mercedes "flat" connector. With the last replacement radio, I had not paid attention to this difference in standards. Either the radio was already built for the flat connector or there was an adapter provided.

Anyway, my new radio did not come with an adapter. Now that I have finished - there is nothing on the box or the instructions indicating the antenna connection standard that could have alerted me beforehand. And Radio Shack, Best Buy, Advanced Auto nor my local hardware store didn't carry one. I ended up having to order one. In a sense, the internet economy is driving local suppliers from carrying even little items such as antenna adapters. So - if in doubt, better order one with your purchase of a replacement radio as part of the same order to reduce the overall bill in the event an adapter is needed.

PC060002.JPG

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
no offense but who would go to the bother of stealing a stock radio:idunno: they must have been desperate.:wtf:
max............:crazy:

Top Bottom