should I buy extended warranty?

tinkerric

Hi,
I'm buying a 2005 140" HT cargo van with 32K on it.
I can transfer the Chrysler maximum care extended warranty 5yr(3 left) 100K, $100 deductible. Or I can deduct the warranty value ~$1700.
In 3 years I will have less than 70K on the van. It seems that the Factory warranty may cover me fine.
Any opinions or experiences would be welcome
Thanks Rich

Hi Rich:

I've bought extended warranties before, and it seems that when something breaks or malfunctions, there's ALWAYS a reason why the extended warranty will not cover whatever has broken down!! :yell: So, you're out the money for the extended warranty, and you STILL have your repair to pay for.

What I've done the past few vehicles is to put a certain amount of $ away every month for repairs and maintenance. I haven't been hosed yet, and hope my luck will continue with the Sprinter.

Keep in mind that the engine is covered under a 5 year/100k warranty, so should something happen engine-wise, you're OK there.

I would expect that meltdown-type repairs will be few in the early years of ownership, and by the time you get into some more "serious" issues (that is, if they ever pop up), you'll have a nice lil' nest egg that will take care of those problems.

-Michael

Top Bottom