How to search Sprinter-Source.com

Zach Woods

There is a lot of great info, questions, and answers on the Sprinter-Source.com. And more is being added every day!

If you have a specific question or bit of info you are looking for there are tools available that will help you find what you want.

Using these tools helps to make things easier for you - you may not even have to post your question, there is a good bet someone else has already asked it! Using these tools and adding your questions, answers and know-how to existing posts also helps to make things organized for the next time you or someone else wants to find that same info.

Below I have tried to offer some help on using the search options. Give it a try!

The information you are looking for may be found in either the Sprinter-Forum (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum) or in the Sprinter-Wiki (http://www.sprinter-source.com/wiki). I will start with the basics on searching the Sprinter-Forum . . .

Seek has set up a set of Search Tools (he even went so far as to improve those tools for us all - http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570). Here is how to use those tools:

1. First, find the "Search" option towards the top of your browser page (highlighted by a red box in the screen capture below).
top search.jpg

2. Notice that if you click on the down arrow to the right of the "Search" text a drop down box appears.
search dropdown.jpg

3. Let's say you wanted to search for "alloy wheels" for your Sprinter. Type "alloy wheels" into the search box and click on "Go".
alloy wheel search.jpg

4. Here are some sample results listing links to all of the top level threads that contain the text "alloy wheels" (as of 1/25/07 - I'm betting new info will turn up in this search very soon!).
alloy wheel search threads results.jpg

In the next post, I will discuss additional search options . . .

Zach Woods

Now lets talk about some additional search options you can use:

5. If you want to have your search results displayed showing the beginning of the text in each post found matching your search criteria, you can choose the "Show Posts" option.
alloy wheel search posts.jpg

6. Here are some sample results listing the start of post text and links to all of the the posts that contain the text "alloy wheels" (as of 1/25/07 - I'm betting new info will turn up in this search very soon!).
alloy wheel search posts results.jpg

7. There are also "Advanced Search" options that can help you even further in finding exactly what you want - the "Advanced Search" link is highlighted a darker grey in the screen capture below.
advanced search highlighted.jpg

8. Here is the Advanced Search page - I won't go into all of the options and capabilities as I'm sure you can find what you need now that you know where to look!
advanced search options.jpg

In the next post, I will discuss manual searching via sub forums . . .

Zach Woods

Now let's talk about manual searching via sub forums:

9. One more way to find things is to just look thru the forums listings and see if you can find forums and sub-forums that match what you are looking for. For example, if I was looking for info on "alloy wheels" I might look in the forums highlighted by red boxes below.
choose sections manually.jpg

In the next post I will discuss searching the Sprinter-Wiki . . .

Zach Woods

Now let's talk about searching the Sprinter-Wiki:

10. The Sprinter-Wiki (http://www.sprinter-source.com/wiki) also has a search capability . . . and this encyclopedia like resource is also growing! Notice the read box highlighting the search option location in the following screen capture.
wiki top search.jpg

11. Let's say you wanted to find a list of Class B RV's that are listed in the Sprinter-Wiki. Simply type "class b" into the search text box and click on the "Go" button.
wiki class b search.jpg

12. Here are some sample results listing Sprinter-Wiki entries that contain info relating to "class b" (as of 1/25/07 - I'm betting new info will turn up in this search also.).
wiki class b results.jpg

Hope this has been helpful!

Now get out there and ask questions, answer questions, and post new info! And feel free to post a link to this "Search Primer" every time someone forgets to search before posting . . .

Top Bottom