additional fuel storage

speedyb

Hey can some one tell me if any of you have added another fuel tank to your spinters or installed a larger tank. I need to add a tank or a larger one on my 2007 2500 and would like to know if it would be better to add another tank or install a larger one and can any one tell me where i could get the work done here in Ontario Canada.

larryccf1

i'll be interested in seeing others responses here as well - in the interim i'll share what i had in mind

first, there's a good thread with shots showing the existing fuel tank as well as the available spaces under the floor and some preliminary measurements of the available cavities at https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348&highlight=spaces

my thoughts, as i want to do the same, for not only extended travel distance but for fuel for generator, was to install an additional 8 - 12 gallon tank under the floor, and simply plumb it to "T" into the fuel return line of the existing tank, with a small Facet 12V fuel pump switched at the dash, so i could, as needed, pump additional fuel over into the stock fuel tank. Main reason for me was the fact that, assuming there wasn't an aftermarket one already existing & offered, that would be easier than re-creating the fuel sender/pump fittings that already exist and second, that would be the least intrusive on the existing fuel system, ie for warranty considerations with Dodge/MB.

I was planning on putting it in the cavity behind the differential along with a small grey water tank. Issue would be plumbing a filler neck/cap and without having inspected closely, believe it can be cut into the panel at the rear below the rear doors.

Just an idea

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I have the 190 litres version of the tank in the above link, enabling >1,000m between refueling.

Again, search "ACGB" here or the web.

It's a really lovely bit of kit with the appealing design feature which allows you to be able to reuse the factory sender. It also uses the factory mounting points (plus additional ones depending on tank size).

The fuel gauge retains accuracy too, although it takes some getting used too in one sense: with the standard 75 litres tank you've got no more than 60 miles left when your needle is bang on the one quarter mark. With a larger tank this isn't the case - the needle can be on zero and you've still got ~25 litres left.

I can judge it better now I've had it a while.

A point to be aware of: depending on local legislation, technically altering the potential kerbweight of the vehicle may be an issue.

I actually had ten of these tanks for sale not so long back, but not surprisingly they sold pretty quickly.

Airfreight shipping price isn't likely to be huge money - you'd be surprised just how light they are.

Last time I looked I think the 190 litres one was ~£700.

Boris

These big tanks look like the best way to go.

Several years ago I added a right hand drive fuel tank and filler to my Transit van. Worked quite well for the time but it was a pain to have to fill up both and than remember to switch tanks before the fuel got to low.

loredo_sprinter

I've dealt with ACGB in Europe over the phone and thru email. After phone conversations and emails, these folks over in Europe apparently are not interested in doing business with US yanks here in California. They told me several times that they'd send me a quote for shipping and everything. No go, I guess they're wanting 100 tank minimum orders or something. The very first question that was asked was how many tanks 'are we talking about?' If you can get these Euro folks out there to do business with any of you here in USA I'd be very much impressed :lol:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Everyone wants to limit their exposure to law suits.

I suspect that's why Daimler hides behind does business through affiliates with "LLC" behind their business name (eg MBUSA, Limited Liability Corporation and Chrysler, LLC even feels the need to masquerade as "ChryslerVans, LLC").

Perhaps you can become ACGB-USA, LLC. :)

-Jon

edwardv

I just took a quick look at their site and could not find it, but I believe Sportsmobile once installed an additional 100 gallon tank on one of their Sprinter mods.

rlent

If you want to understand why they are probably less than excited about shipping tanks over here you can go to the following website and read about what the regulatory aspects are. Suffice it to say, a potential fine of up to $200K may well dampen their enthusiasm ........

What is a Legal Fuel Tank System?

larryccf1

that may be the reason all the fuel tanks i see in Northern Tools catalog always make a reference note that "not intended for highway use".

Top Bottom