Ideas for space under passenger seat

Monafly

2015 2500 short tall 6cyl
Most folks use this space for either a heater or aux battery, but I'm fitting a Wallas DT (stove/heater combo) and my aux battery is under the hood so the space under the passenger seat isn't being used for these common purposes.

Looking for other ideas about how to utilize this space.

pfflyer

There is an aftermarket lockable door for use as storage for valuables. Don’t know how secure it is but most thieves are smash and grab and even with a standard door would they think to look in there unless they see you put stuff in.

mtbkers

We put the metal locking door on to hide passports and then realized that you can just slide the seat back and swivel it a little (we have swivels) and you can get your hand in from the top, no problem. :rolleyes:

H

hmbltn

I have a 10" subwoofer in a small enclosure in there along with auxiliary fuse box powering all non-critical devices (LED lights, air compressor, 12v outlets, water pump, etc...).

The lockable door is kind of useless when you can just slide the seat forward and reach in from the top but thieves are generally not that adaptive. The lock is probably a decent deterrent, if nothing else. I put velcro around the edges of the foam cover since the subwoofer made it vibrate and make noise. This makes it very, very difficult to remove without taking the seat off. You could always make a similar plastic cover and bolt it down for added security using rivnuts.

Before I decided to put the subwoofer in there, my plan was to fab a small cubby box that was accessible from the side-door to hold random things. I think that would be a great use of the space.

Last edited:

GaryJ

Here since 2006
We put the metal locking door on to hide passports and then realized that you can just slide the seat back and swivel it a little (we have swivels) and you can get your hand in from the top, no problem. :rolleyes:
At one time the Spinter Store sold a locking cover for the top of the compartment also. I'm not sure if they still stock that item.

Gary

icarus

Oil, tools, flashlights, funnels, spare oil and fuel filters, glass cleaner, paper towels for cleaning mirrors and windshields etc. You can get a lot of stuff in there if you stow it carefully.

Icarus

Brad75

2013 NCV3
Just curious if you've gotten any complaints from passengers about the bass. I haven't yet... but I haven't had many passengers over long distances yet.
my audio guy wired up a Bass knob underneath the radio so i can quickly adjust it up/down. I have a 12'' JL sub woofer so you feel the base where ever your sitting but it all depends on the type of music your listening to. I don't really listen to heavy base stuff. so far no complaints (they know better) right now im on a Eurythmics remix kick but ill listen to anything except for R&B and newer Rap music.

https://s9.postimg.org/v54u89skf/IMG_0601.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCT3WudUfM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9j8RGTqju0

jonathonhare

Can anyone list the dimensions of the interior space of the factory sprinter swivel seat base? Need to order a battery that will fit in there. Van on order ,so can't measure it myself...
Much appreciated!
Jon

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
I am hoping to install one of two hydronic heater air/water heat exchangers in the passenger seat base, aiming rearward. Have not yet checked access for two hoses and fan wiring from under chassis.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I’ve considered that easy top access as well. When I get further along in my build, I’m planning to install a metal or plywood panel on the top or underside of the top of the box.

Top Bottom