Espar Eberspacher D2 heater sale

dynaco1

Heaters4U (Russia) has a good price at the moment.

I bought one yesterday 13 Sept 2019. Selected courier rate over $40 standard freight. Will let everyone know when it arrives.

Espar D2 with kit. $559.11 USD
Shipping and handling $73.53 USD (expedited courier)
Total. $632.64 USD

Used PayPal

Last edited:

HarryN

I guess this is sort of like buying an air conditioner in the middle of a January blizzard.

Yesterday it was just under 100 F here. :rolleyes:

Mickyfin

That's where I got mine from, they had a sale on when I got mine too.

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Same here. Got a Webasto. 3 weeks for delivery but great price and packaged well. Contained everything I ordered.

Coast2Coast

2006 158 Cargo
Last edited:

Onefin

Might be better to buy from ebay for a few dollars more to get the full money back guarantee. Once you buy in Russia you gotta jump ship to track them down if you get a bad heater. Can you post a link to the deal you found? Can't seem to find it with a basic search. A few others here:

https://www.ebay.com/i/113438721872...26196&itm=113438721872&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2385738

http://www.dieselheaters4u.co.uk/st...IESEL_NIGHT_HEATER_MOTORHOME_CAMPER_KIT_.html
https://heaters4you.com/99-eberspacher-airtronic-2

Onefin

Keep in mind that's the older noisy model without the high altitude feature. The newer S2 D2L model has high altitude support built-in, is quieter and has a simpler wiring harness. https://www.butlertechnik.com/vehic...-2019-model-silent-running-292112000007-p2759
Yeah, I was just linking for the guy that couldn’t find it....I’d assume D2 prices will continue to drop until they run out of inventory.

I took delivery of an S2 from butler Technik as soon as they had them on offer.
To me it was Worth the additional $500 for the automatic elevation adjustment and less noise.

VanGoSki

How much simpler is the new S2 D2L wiring harness desgin?
"5.1 Heater wiring
The electronic control box is integrated in the heater, which makes wiring during installation much easier."

Link: https://www.butlertechnik.com/downl..._D2L_Technical_Data_and_Wiring_Diagrams_1.pdf

Installation of the new one is just hooking up four wires, +12, gnd, lights, ignition.

The old one has an external controller that has to be wired up, and from the looks of it, a few other gadgets too. Here's the manual for that one. https://www.butlertechnik.com/downl...erating_Instructions_and_service_manual_1.pdf

Thousands of people have installed these things, so I wouldn't sweat it.

smoove_ride

Just curious if anyone has tried using the new 'silent' fuel pump with and old D2? Might be worth a try? I can live with the fan noise inside the van, but if I could get rid of the clicking outside, that would be a win.

H.Mont

Keep in mind that's the older noisy model without the high altitude feature. The newer S2 D2L model has high altitude support built-in, is quieter and has a simpler wiring harness. https://www.butlertechnik.com/vehic...-2019-model-silent-running-292112000007-p2759
I need to purchase a D2 Espar heater and just realized from your post that there is this newer version - Espar S2 D2L. I am wondering whether any one has installed this version and can give a recommendation? Sounds nice that the wiring is easier and the high altitude sensor is built-in. Also, I am trying to determine if the controller (802) that comes with it, is the "easy start version" that with the D2 everyone says to get?

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
I need to purchase a D2 Espar heater and just realized from your post that there is this newer version - Espar S2 D2L. I am wondering whether any one has installed this version and can give a recommendation? Sounds nice that the wiring is easier and the high altitude sensor is built-in. Also, I am trying to determine if the controller (802) that comes with it, is the "easy start version" that with the D2 everyone says to get?
I have the "old" version (installed summer of 2018). The newer version is better/nicer but more expensive ("The new Airtronic S2-D2L is equipped with automatic altitude adjustment standard*. The "L" in the new S2-D2L stands for long-life motor. The new brushless motor has extended service life to 5000 hours. This motor, a modern control system and the use of the latest metering pump technology also improve the acoustics.").

The new version's remote controllers use CAN bus signaling (Controller Area Network), which significantly reduces the obtuse complexity of the wiring harness (for the old version) and makes it possible to easily retrofit other/additional controllers without changing wiring. (It is more or less an "Ethernet for vehicle infrastructure" technology, without it being compatible with Ethernet in any way whatsoever). The controllers for the new version are not compatible with the old version (and vice versa).

The old version is still in distribution channels and apparently can be had for less than it was when it was the only option. I bet the price of the old version will stabilize at a level that represents the marginal decrease in value of that version compared with the new.

Based on what I have heard to date about the new version, I personally would buy the new version over the old version if I hadn't just installed the old version (with a high altitude kit) about a year ago.

elemental

Do you think the Easy Start PRO controller is a necessary addition?
The "built-in control units" page at Eberspacher only shows the "EasyStart Pro" controller https://www.eberspacher.com/products/fuel-operated-heaters/control-units/vehicle-heater-control-units/built-in-control-units.html. The "remote control" page shows only the "EasyStart Web" https://www.eberspacher.com/products/fuel-operated-heaters/control-units/vehicle-heater-control-units/remote-controls.html. Those seem to be the only two options for a control unit for the S2 D2L Airtronic heaters. Unfortunately for those of us who are in the USA, the EasyStart Web uses cellular radio communications that according to Eberspacher are limited to European mobile networks. Up to two control units can be on the same CANbus as the S2 D2L, but in a Sprinter van probably one EasyStart Pro is sufficient.

You need a controller for the heater, so yes, it looks like the EasyStart Pro controller is a necessary addition to an S2 D2L Airtronic heater.

[Added: I looked more closely at Butler Technik page selling the S2 D2L heater and now see the "802" model controller shown in the pictures. That is an old style controller (not CANbus) so it would only work if the new model heater includes the ability to be controlled in the old style; I don't know the answer to that question (yet). However, the "802" is definitely not an EasyStart Pro controller.]

Last edited:

elemental

The Eberspacher website seems to be silent as to the "802" controller; it looks a lot like the 801/DigiMax D-1000 controller ("modulator"), however (which is what I have for my heater). This suggests that either the S2 D2L is backwards compatible with an old-style controller [which it turns out it is], and/or the "802" is a limited functionality CANbus controller that is not being represented on the Eberspacher product pages (probably not but I don't know). Butler Technik is certainly selling the 802 as the default controller in their S2 D2L package, so it is almost certainly compatible one way or the other.

Although the 802 appears to have the diagnostic readout capability, it doesn't have the timer functions and other bells and whistles (like a bigger display) of the EasyStart Pro.

This detail from Butler Technik provides some additional information about the multiple control interfaces on the S2 D2L (it IS backwards compatible with old controllers, but the new controllers are not backwards compatible with the old heaters), as well as the added functionality of the new CANbus-based EasyStart Pro that you may be interested in:

"CAN, LIN & S+
The new Airtronic S2 includes Eberspacher CAN bus technology, giving users the opportunity to operate the unit via CAN-based controllers like the EasyStart PRO and EasyStart Web. The EasyStart PRO has many advantages including, Timers, Text-based fault readouts and external temperature sensing. The LIN interface is for previous generation EasyStart Controllers like the EasyStart Remote+ and EasyStart Select. The S+ interface can be used when the user wants to use a mini-controller or other Eberspacher analog switching source."

I personally would probably opt for the EasyStart Pro "upgrade" (over the default 802) at the $115 cost increase (assuming that is US$) if I were buying from Butler Technik and installing the system in my van.

65C02

Thanks for the heads up Dynaco! D2 Kit purchased 9/17 arrived exactly one week later. $600 total. Now where's the van....

dynaco1

Got the heater up and running in two days. All the parts I needed were included; plenty of spare fasteners. Mounted under swiveling passenger seat.

This time, I utilized a few short-cuts to save time and eliminate hassles:

Unsure who's great idea this was (THANKS!).....I replaced the mini fuse block from the kit with a Blue Sea 5045 small fuse block. The very short main 12AWG feeder from F150 terminal block under driver seat, back-feeds the bus via a 25A fuse. Main power to D2 harness is fused with 20A and control wire to D2 harness is fused with 5A (fused per the Espar diagram).

Fuse block was fastened to the inside of seat pedestal with 3M tape. This fuse block is now is more easily accessible through the removable plastic service panel on the right side of passenger seat pedestal.

The Easy Start Select controller/thermostat uses only three specific wires (red, blue/white, brown) which were joined with aftermarket crimp connectors. The brown/white and red/white are crimped together. The larger white Ancor duplex cable is not related to the Espar.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom