Winkler Rally - MB Technical Seminar

DiverBob

2018 Unity TB
We just got back from attending the LTV Rally in Winkler. One of the best things there were the Technical Seminars and one was specifically for the MB Sprinter, given by MB folks that were attending. They gave out some great information, I may even do my own oil change the next time! I wanted to point out a couple of things that I was not aware of and I thought others might like to know.
First off, my understanding is that it was very bad to idle your engine more than 5 minutes. According to MB this is only true if you are feeding your Sprinter a steady diet of B5-B20 diesel. If you are normally running B5 or less then 2-3 hours is not harmful to the engine. However they do highly recommend that after a long idle period you get out at highway speeds for at least 20 minutes so the emissions can cycle.
Secondly, they recommend after running at highway speeds, like when stopping to fill up your tank, idle for a 3 to 4 minutes to allow the turbo to cool off before stopping the engine.

It was a great session and I learned a lot, these items were 2 that I wasn’t aware of and this was news to most of us in the session.

kmay

2013 Unity MB
So, nothing said about feeding a steady diet of B5 - B20? That seemed to be the big question not too long ago. I have come to the conclusion that a little bio diesel is way down the list of worries. Thanks for the report.

DiverBob

2018 Unity TB
So, nothing said about feeding a steady diet of B5 - B20? That seemed to be the big question not too long ago. I have come to the conclusion that a little bio diesel is way down the list of worries. Thanks for the report.
There was no new news about if you are running B5 to B20 regularly, mainly watch your oil levels and decrease your oil change interval by half. Try not to store the vehicle with >B5 fuel especially over the winter months due to fuel gelling.

Top Bottom